pumping oil out of back of engine

loveoldrice

After having my fresh rebuilt engine in and out twice ( found out different collor lenghts on t/o brg ) Now back in crank over a little ( went through the priming procedures ) and ive got the Exon Valdez under my car . Appears to be comeing from back of block . Do L20S have a pipe plug port on back of block that i missed ?? It built presure enough to turn off oil light when cranking ... but its pouring out . I cant emagine i screwd up the rear main that bad ??? :(

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a rear crank seal.... (it's the orange thing)

L1618pilotandrearseal.jpg

Pan gasket below that.

motorZ24crankauto.jpg

See the small round boss with the plug in it? Not the large one with the white plug but the small one above the digital numbers on the dial. Tha is an oil gallery under pressure. It goes from front to back through the block. If that plug is leaking...

So, there are the three most obvious leak sites, all behind the flywheel.

Thanks Mike , im thinking its the pipe plug above the calipers . I didnt notice that on assembly and will almost guarante my machine shop took out when they tanked the block .AAAARRRG . I had the same thing happen with a 440 Dodge years ago on the front of block . Ud think id learn :blink:

Just trying to decided if i should pull motor or trans . I know most would pull the trans but my tired , old , ass and bad back arnt to thrilled about lying on the concrete and wresleing out a trans . Ive got a 620 truck 5 speed sitting outside .... maybe a good excuse to go ahead and trim tunnel and shorten driveline and stick that it . Ive waited this long ... whats a couple more days ... <_<

well , trans out , rear main tapped in , trans back in . Start engine for about 5 seconds . Turn off .. engine back fireing like timings off . Look under car .... a foot wide puddle of oil !!! I was so sure it was the rear main not being installed , i didnt even think of looking at the rear oil galley plug Mike mentioned . Im guessing thats my issue . I guess the trans comes back out today .. im getting faster at it but this is getting old !!!! :angry:

yup . oil galley plug not there . And of coarse , on a Sunday ... no auto parts stores have or can even order . The good news , the hole is the perfect size to tap to 1/4 in NPT and put a flush style pipe plug in ....im gonna give this another whirl ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot remember if it is on a Datsun L engine, or a Ford 390 engine. Both engines have rear main caps that slide into the block, and have the rubber seals that slide in to a groove in the cap. But then there are steel pins that also slide into a groove in the rubber seals, and the steel pin wedges the rubber and seals it.