rolled fender flairs

bbqbill

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, you can roll the stock inner lip on your fenders to eliminate the sharp inner fender cutting the sidewall of your tire when you lower you car. you cal achieve more of a flared look by pulling your fenders. these both can be achieved by using a fender roller or a baseball bat as the crude option. for the pull you may want to make relief cuts in the fender to allow it to stretch out more and then fell the cuts with sheet metal and body filler to smooth it out. DSCN1623.jpg heres a rolled fender lip, see how theres no sharp edge to slice your sidewalls?DSCN7086.jpgthis is a pulled fender, i cant find a good example and this looks like shit but you get the point.

One issue you may be having is that you are asking about rolled fender flares. Most fender flares do not need to be rolled because they already have a narrow edge for good wheel clearance. You want to roll the stock fender lip. (Just some badly worded clarification)

This is a fender roller:

p16482.jpg

They're expensive (~270), so what I recommend doing is finding someone that has one you can borrow or rent or pay to have used. The people that would be most likely to have one would be any shops that do proper race car preparation, maybe an autocross club, and maybe any shops that do a lot of hella-flush crap. With the shops you'd probably need to pay them, but if there's an autocross club, they may have one you could rent or borrow. I mean a club for autocrossers, not a club that runs autocrosses.

Originally posted by Skib:

Bat method:

just be easier with that tool...that is all I ment

I'm actually not sure, I think the tool would not be easier, but I think it would probably produce a better product. Less likely to damage the paint because of the rubber roller. More able to get the fenders rolled to exactly where you want them. But, I think whatever method is fine, so do what you want.

• Like 1

for baseball bat method, just heaat up fender arch area if you care about your paint with a heat gun, and stick the bat in there and roll it so it bends the inner lip up. not very much visable differance on the outside with this method.

your right,i do want the flair look not a rolled lip.im getting as much info on the things i want to do to my truck from people who best !!! thanks for the tipscool.gif i will post pics when i start the work ,cant wait.

i did the same thing on my truck, just with a smaller piece of plumbing pipe..

i understand they make a took for it, but i dont buy tools that really only have one job... i like multitasker tools.. like plumbing pipe... lol

DSCF0281.jpg

hella flush?

IMG_20100822_115106.jpg

yes, hella flush.

• Like 1

One issue you may be having is that you are asking about rolled fender flares. Most fender flares do not need to be rolled because they already have a narrow edge for good wheel clearance. You want to roll the stock fender lip. (Just some badly worded clarification)

This is a fender roller:

p16482.jpg

They're expensive (~270), so what I recommend doing is finding someone that has one you can borrow or rent or pay to have used. The people that would be most likely to have one would be any shops that do proper race car preparation, maybe an autocross club, and maybe any shops that do a lot of hella-flush crap. With the shops you'd probably need to pay them, but if there's an autocross club, they may have one you could rent or borrow. I mean a club for autocrossers, not a club that runs autocrosses.

We have one of these and they work killer. If you take your time, you can easily widen a fender 1.5"-2" (and even more if you need), without damaging the paint (the trick is to use a heat gun to keep the paint soft). There is a learning curve and it's not fast to do it correctly (20-30 minutes per fender), but the results are great. It does how ever have one major drawback, and that is, it doesn't fit a 6 bolt pattern. We are making an adapter for ours.

i did the same thing on my truck, just with a smaller piece of plumbing pipe..

i understand they make a took for it, but i dont buy tools that really only have one job... i like multitasker tools.. like plumbing pipe... lol

DSCF0281.jpg

hella flush?

IMG_20100822_115106.jpg

Dude, I drive by this truck a few times a month going to visit my friend. I always look forward to seeing it on my way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Blocks and 4x4 720 leafs

I used a fender roller with 139.7-6H to 114.3-5H adapters... Which is why it looks cleaner than a baseball bat. smile.gif

Hey radim maybe one day when I'm in the area you can do my wheel wells like yours, how much for the job? Looks great!

• 1 month later...

Im going to dig up this old one rather then making a new post. I like clean boards.

So is rolling the fender the way to go or what about cutting/bolt-on flares.

If you havent seen my truck, check my sig. Anyways I am getting ready for summer and what to mount my 15x10". I plan on a 225/60 tire and like my ride height, might go lower.

I have seen trucks with bolt-ons and rolled, either way I am causing damage/misform to the body. I dont plan on a glass restore, I like the ratty look, thus why I bought it in its condition.

I think I was going to attempt to roll the fenders and if it didnt work, cut out the metal and install the bolt-ons. I would also try the front fenders first because RockAuto sells replacements, I am more worried about the box. The thing that bothers me is the reverse lip and having to hammer/form that out flush and then pull it out too. Its not like its a flat fender to begin with.