What year is this goon

wayno

This is elmerfudpuckers goon, or it was sometime in the past. I found one of these wagons across the street from a job I was doing, the frontend looked like this goon, but the back did not have amber in the taillights, solid red except for the backup lights, it had these bumpers with the plastic ends and the top rack also, it looked stock all the way to the hubcaps, and it said in gold lettering "DATSUN 510". When I seen it from a distance it looked like a toyota corrolla wagon to me, anybody have an idea what year I am discribing? I searched for one on here with the proper rear view, couldn't find one. Do ratsuners want these? The neighbors say he takes really good care of it, but it hasn't been licensed for the road since 2007, it was his daughters car when she was in school. I asked the people I was working for about it and they said it has been for sale in the past, so I knocked on the door and no one answered, as I was walking away a guy opened a window and asked what I wanted, I expressed interest in if it was for sale, and he told me he would call me later, but he had an appointment to get to now. I can probably get a couple photos of it tomarrow as my camera was at home today. Does anybody want these cars?

basagoon.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ALL the late 510s (78-81) that look like the one above have amber turn signals. They didn't make US-spec rear signals for that model. Doesn't mean someone didn't cover them in red taillight-patch tape. The grille, BTW, is specific to 78-79. '80-81 had no character (almost flat) and square headlights.

basagoon.jpg

It's a '79 goon. The '80 had square headlights. This will have the L20B motor, '80s had the Z20S. The 5 speed dogleg was only an option on the 2 door hatchback that year so 4 speed or automatic. It will have the desirable matchbox dizzy and IR alternator.

Hmm. Well, as I said 78-81 510s all had amber rear turn signals. So it's either one of those with tape or modified taillights, or it's not a 510. I'll also note that the tailgate badge was never gold on a 510, so someone would have had to modify that too.

The 210 ('79-82) had a "D" logo on front, and red rear tails (but they had amber around the reverse lights even though they had red turn signals. No sense to me). They only have single headlights though. The 71 and 610 had red-only taillights (possible only some years) and the JDM 610 grille had a "D" (US grilles had "Datsun" off to one side).

It was not exactly like the photo above, but the grill had the raised part with a "D" in the middle, but the "D" didn't stand out, I had to look close, this vehicle looked real good and COMPLETE for what it was, I am sorry now that I didn't ask what year it was. Does anyone have rear photos of the differant years?

The '79 A-10 'goon had a large single D in the gill center with a DATSUN 510 on the right rear trunk lid.

The '80 and on A-10 'goon had a DATSUN emblem on the right side of the grill (no D in the center) and a DATSUN 510 by NISSAN on right rear trunk lid.

All year 'goons had a DATSUN 510 emblem on both front fenders. (it's not clear if the '80 had the (byNISSAN) or not)

I can't find anything about amber tail signal lights on any year but all goon years used the same tail light. design.

What about earlier wagons, when did the taillights change from the 71 type design, it was after that. It definately had a gold "DATSUN 510" on the side as the "D" was damaged. The first impression I had was 69 chevelle with the bigger top red taillight lense. I did not think it was a 510 until I seen it said it, as I said in the first post, I thought it was a toyota from a distance, I will go there in the morning and get a couple photos, I thought it would be easy to ID, the reason I picked that photo in the first post was it was the closet thing i found that looked like the grill on it.

@Wayno. yep it is still mine, bit different now tho. Your pic was when Callie still had it, this is what it looks like now.

IMAG0253.jpg

YES !! we are looking for parts

The rear of my sons 79 510 wagon

You may have a shot at mine if you could get that Z I was looking at straightened out and running. And tell your boy I think he is doing a damn fine job on his. BTW all the brakes are done + shocks all the way around and I got another weber and intake for mine to toss in too! ;)

I do not know how I convinced myself that the taillights were red all around, but they weren't. In general it is a fairly strait goon, the side trim was gold, not the datsun510 badge, I would make a terrible witness to a crime. I didn't bother the guy today(holiday), so I was there less than a minute. Here are the photos. :D

DSCN0070.jpg

DSCN0069.jpg

DSCN0068.jpg

DSCN0067.jpg

DSCN0066.jpg

DSCN0071.jpg

I have no idea what tranny it has, for one thing I didn't ask to come on the property, the other thing is the interior is all covered up with blankets, the dash had a blanket, the front seat, back seat ect. Protecting it from the sun I suspect, I was there maybe a minute, the neighbors say he washes it all the time, but we had a storm the day before yesterday, and it has not been car washing weather IMHO, so it has a few fir needles on it. I am going to wait a week or two and see if he calls me on his own as he said he would, then I will make another visit. I do not know if this runs, seems like if it ran, it would not be at the end of the driveway, but I have no idea why people do the things they do most the time, so I will ask next time I get the chance. wayno

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I went over there today and talked with the owner, it is a 1978, it has an L20b I beleave with a W58 head, it is a 4 speed, the interior is tan, I didn't take the cover completely off the dash, but it looked perfect, the drivers seat is showing the start of some wear, but not ripped or anything. The title is in his name(I looked at it, wa. title), he has receipts for recent work, rebuilt radiator, brakes, some engine work, ect. He says it runs, but the clutch needs bled, otherwise it's supposed to drive, and I couldn't find any rust, but maybe I don't know where to look. It is for sale, he wants $800.00 for it. wayno

That`s very good price......we easily have $700. in a rusty crap wagon we are currently working on..

.I discussed this with a couple of other members a couple weeks back , after pm-ing you , and I came to the realization that letting a 16 yr old ( my son )buy this may not be in the best interest of such a nice survivor....We will keep working on his beater..

Buy it ...slam it ....done

easiest project ever

• 2 weeks later...