just got a 1965 410 wagon

robslow

First off I got this 1965 410 wagon and its very straight but the engine is bad .. Took apart to put new rings and the stock motor is toast. So I find three L blocks on craigs list . A L16 complete, L18 no head, and a L 20 block and some parts ,no crank. All of which needs to be rebuilt, My question is would it be cheaper to find anouther transplant ,or to get this one together. Oh - ya were do you find brake parts......

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Find a running motor and swap it in. That would be the cheapest route in the short term. Do a compression test after making sure the motor runs BEFORE buying.

Welcome aboard....me thinks we need some

PICS!

First off I got this 1965 410 wagon and its very straight but the engine is bad .. Took apart to put new rings and the stock motor is toast. So I find three L blocks on craigs list . A L16 complete, L18 no head, and a L 20 block and some parts ,no crank. All of which needs to be rebuilt, My question is would it be cheaper to find anouther transplant ,or to get this one together. Oh - ya were do you find brake parts......

Post some pics

What exactly is bad on that original engine now?

L motors won't be plug and play on these cars.

Since the one's you found needs work anyway, why not just work on that engine you have now. It would be cheaper if you find a running motor already even for free sometimes.

Parts will be a big challenge.

Rebuild kits should still be available.

Might he be able to find a 1600 roadster motor and make himself a 410 SSS? 411's had the 311 motor in them I think, right?

You'd have to rout the exaust through the fender well the way the real 411sss had them. But it would be cool and I saw a nice roadster motor on ebay yesterday.

BUT remember I am not an expert with these things, especially a 410!

Oh and PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS!!!!!

For those unfamiliar with the term "bonnet" refer to the translation guide in an older haynes manual.:D

don't forget to look up boot while you're at it.

Dude, where are the pics?

Might he be able to find a 1600 roadster motor and make himself a 410 SSS? 411's had the 311 motor in them I think, right?

You'd have to rout the exaust through the fender well the way the real 411sss had them. But it would be cool and I saw a nice roadster motor on ebay yesterday.

BUT remember I am not an expert with these things, especially a 410!

Oh and PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS!!!!!

You will have more problems. The engine compartment in the [W]RL410 and 411 is much shorter than the roadster. The roadster type R engine needs to be modified like that of the RL411 sedan and WRL411 wagon. The waterpump assembly is 1 inch too long, so you need to use a sedan waterpump if you can find it, or transplant the spinner from the sedan to a new roadster pump leaving an inch of shaft protruding. You will also need a sedan crankshaft pulley to match the relocated waterpump, a sedan waterpump pulley [in a pinch you could use the roadster pump with roadster spinner and fabricate a spacer to fit a Chevy V8 pulley and use a flex fan but the radiator clearance is scary!]. The alternator assembly will also have to be relocated one inch to the rear. The exhaust downpipe to route the exhaust thru the fender and mate up with the rest of the exhaust is not obtainable and to my knowledgd was never listed in the Datsun parts list after the list was "modernized" to microfiche and computer listings and Nissan USA eliminated the classic red book paper list. A clever muffler shop is your only hope short of finding an RL411 sedan or WRL411 wagon in the boneyard. If you do find one, grab it and restore it instead of bastardizing an original WRL410!

My '66 411 wagon has a L20b in it from a PO. It's a real hack job that I'm gonna have to redo one of these days. No room for fan, so uses a pusher electric. Won't know how efficient the stock radiator is until I get the temp gauge hooked up. Hoping I don't have to go custom.

Right now just trying to get it back on the road.

*** 17 Days 'til the Hood River Run & BBQ ***

Wow Mike! Let me say how welcome indeed you are to Ratsun. You know your stuff for sure! Someday when I get a 411, I will need you on speed dial!

You will have more problems. The engine compartment in the [W]RL410 and 411 is much shorter than the roadster. The roadster type R engine needs to be modified like that of the RL411 sedan and WRL411 wagon. The waterpump assembly is 1 inch too long, so you need to use a sedan waterpump if you can find it, or transplant the spinner from the sedan to a new roadster pump leaving an inch of shaft protruding. You will also need a sedan crankshaft pulley to match the relocated waterpump, a sedan waterpump pulley [in a pinch you could use the roadster pump with roadster spinner and fabricate a spacer to fit a Chevy V8 pulley and use a flex fan but the radiator clearance is scary!]. The alternator assembly will also have to be relocated one inch to the rear. The exhaust downpipe to route the exhaust thru the fender and mate up with the rest of the exhaust is not obtainable and to my knowledgd was never listed in the Datsun parts list after the list was "modernized" to microfiche and computer listings and Nissan USA eliminated the classic red book paper list. A clever muffler shop is your only hope short of finding an RL411 sedan or WRL411 wagon in the boneyard. If you do find one, grab it and restore it instead of bastardizing an original WRL410!
For those unfamiliar with the term "bonnet" refer to the translation guide in an older haynes manual.:D

Haha, allow me to rephrase in american :)

"we want pics! preferably with a fat chick eating a pita on the hood!

I checked with a mate over there, and apparently you guys don't have kebabs, only pita's. But we all know you have plenty of fatties! j/k's