would the civic hatch struts work ?

socaldatsun

So I know their is a bunch of 510 guys doing this mod but I am curiouse as if it would work with our trucks. I think our bays are shaped diffrently on the side, i'll have to look tomorrow.

here is the link that I found for this on the 510's

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/34742-hood-struts/

this would be prety cool to have and honestly i dont trust the one that our hoods come with originaly

• Like 1
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest , the problems i have encountered have been keeping the hood down at speed and not keeping it up when stopped.

But do it and take pictures for us.

I'll have to look into it some more. Don't want it poppin on me. I know a few of the 510 guys that have done it, i'll just ask what did they do to keep it down and make sure it stays down.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
unless you weld a bracket on i dont think it would work. the rod doesnt have a place to sit on. I actualy ended up using some gas shocks that my local surplus store had

Did you mount the lower end of the shock in the same spot as the stock hood strut?  It just seemed either way, gas shock or solid "bar" strut, I'm going to have to mount it some how.  I just want to avoid the hood bending and breaking in that sweet spot about a 1/4 of the way up from the windshield.

• Like 1

I'm not cetrain this is the best idea for a 521. Not sure about the other generations.

The 521 hoods are infamous for bending right in the middle from driver to passenger normally from someone pulling down on the hood while the OEM latch rod is in place. Obviously a strut is not a OEM latch rod, but similiar down force (not pressure) is applied on each close. Over time, this may become a weak point and bend. I choose gravity on this one.

The "I must have the struts" solution would be to fab strengthening brackets and bolt them to the side of the hood, similiar to the bent hood repair.

OSVW

• Like 1
I'm not cetrain this is the best idea for a 521. Not sure about the other generations.

The 521 hoods are infamous for bending right in the middle from driver to passenger normally from someone pulling down on the hood while the OEM latch rod is in place. Obviously a strut is not a OEM latch rod, but similiar down force (not pressure) is applied on each close. Over time, this may become a weak point and bend. I choose gravity on this one.

The "I must have the struts" solution would be to fab strengthening brackets and bolt them to the side of the hood, similiar to the bent hood repair.

OSVW

Working on the hood...

The first step was to run the hood through our metal Dipping service ( highly recommended!). http://metaldipping.com/

The next step was to straighten the metal and seal up the entire seam between the skin & inner support...

429104_4231145981187_2101682447_n.jpg

For the seam sealer i used Panel bond adheisive. It it a "cold weld" that will completely eliminate any flexing. The hood is now rock solid!

• Like 1

OSVW

its usually from hoods blowing up...

• Like 1