Need verified working L16 dizzy

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I put together the GM module setup, But still won't start. Starting to wonder if spark is weak. Then I realized w/ my front end jacked up, I didn't have enough fuel in the tank to reach the suction line, ollz. Dropped it down, but still no start. I wanna fill w/ gas and try some more, but if it still doesn't fire, I wanna swap the points dizzy back in for a sec to rule out any fuckery w/ my new set-up :D I've quadruple checked my cam lobes at 10 and 2 TDC compression #1 super fun good times for all night long. Re-checked plug wire order. Kinda stumped why it no workie.

Are you getting spark?

Suck, squish, bang, blow.

What's missing?

Gots spark at plugs but looks kinda weak... When I pull the coil wire off and crank, the coil shoots out awesome blue-ass lightning. I wanna lick it. But the sparks at the plugs are not as awesome, kinda redish and dim. I'm gonna put the normal points unit back in real quick and see if it changes. If so, the dizzy is a douche. Can't get wiring oics right now, but it's wired same as Mklotz's write-up :D I'm about ready to offer a half-rack of Deschutes for someone to come figure out wtf.

The rotor may not be directly under the plug lead and has to jump from the rotor 1/4" to the plug terminal and then through the spark plug. This would weaken it. Set the crank pulley timing mark to about 10 degrees BTDC (compression stroke, cam lobes @ 10 and 2) and check that the rotor is directly under the #1 plug wire on the cap.

If you have swapped an EI dizzy in there, it will likely have the rotor pointing at a different angle than the L16/18... mine was.

You may be able to just loosen the tie down bolt and rotate the dizzy to get the rotor under #1. If not try to get it under any other plug lead... if you can THIS becomes the new #1 and just move all the other wires around on the cap in the correct 1342 firing order. Chances are that even if you can get it to run, you may run out of adjustment range when trying to set the timing. If this is the case you will have to drop the oil pump and move the oil pump/dizzy drive spindle a couple of teeth over which will hopefully move the rotor under one of the plug wires on the cap.

(You owe me a beer)

Ollz, wonder what the shipping to Canada would be for a beer :D Yah, #3 turned into #1, and re-adjusted order. The rotor is pretty dead on under the wire. The spark at the plug should be blue right? Mine's red and dim white...

I'm positive I timed it right when I did the chain, and have re-checked in this fashion: put thumb over #1 spark plug hole feeling for compression. Rotate crank to top of stroke. Remove oil cap, cam lobes at 10 and 2. Timing mark on pully lined up w/ pointer. I removed the line from the weber, no fuel! will fix fuel level today, charge batt a little, and see what I get. I still think the spark is weak.

If you had a point coil in there with the ballast resisitor there might not be enough current.

But Im only guessing as Matchboxes can still be used with the stock set up as its more a trigger than a true EI set up with a EI coil.

You got the ck the dizzy spindal at TDC(zero on crank, yes then the lobes are up) and make sure it rotor points to the correct plug wire say like #1 at TDC

remember there is a HOT START wire also(with a point ignition) You still using this?

Mike, I'll track you down at Canby. It'll be my first Datsun meet, I'm excited. I'm running a remote module dizzy from a 78 620. I am using the EI coil from the same vehicle, and the ballast that was on my truck originally is removed from the circuit. I am using a GM 4 pin module. The hot start wire is indeed still being used. This setup is temp until I happen upon a matchbox dizzy :) I decided 2 things. The module wasn't grounded well enough, and I'm out of gas. I'm off to the fuel store, and I think it will start now that the ground is corrected. I have no idea what it will sound like w/ the new cam. When it was in Phlebmaster's 620, it sounded awesome.

Oil pump was clocked wrong. I took out the bolt for the adjustment, and clocked the dizzy more than adjuster would allow... Scared the shit out of me when it started!!!! I'd been screwing w/ it all night, got used to it just cranking, then BOOM!!! Man the sound is obscene :D :D Big thumbs up to Mike and Bonzai, you guys are cool in my book :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.