Which is it?!?!? an A14 or A15?!?!?

a320inMaine

Hi all,

So I bought this 'engine and trans' to put in my '65 L320 (purchased with neither). I was told it was an A14 motor with a 5 speed, which I was ok with because of the condition and mileage (<21,000) on the motor. I've got it home and trying to decode it, but there is so much info on the drivetrain AND the Internet, I'm still confused as to WHAT it really IS! The VIN # on the Title the Seller gave me is: PLB310-542588 which seems to indicate an A15 motor, although the motor itself is stamped "14"! Also stamped on the motor is "G34" & "D225".

The transmission is stamped "#11" on one side, and "#4" on the other side. I haven't pulled the Head to see what # is there.

The Title describes the car as a: 1980 Datsun 210, Model #PLB310, 2 DR SEDAN

I'm hoping for those that know more than I can get to the REAL identity of what I've bought!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The motor will be stamped A14 or A15 but the location I'm not sure of untill I get home. Passenger side just below the head is my guess. The traansmission #11 and #4 are almost certainly a casting revision number. Again look on the passenger side roughly in the middle for a 56 or 60 and possibly a 63A. I can be more precice when I get home to my computer.

Please post pics!

There may be a casting mark saying A14 on the left (distributor side) of the block identifying it, also it may be stamped on the right side towards the front of the engine. There have been a couple of threads on identifying A series engines on here, so do a search. Post side pics of the trans and Datzenmike can give you the lowdown.

I know Clark had 2 B210s, those are the only Datsun's he ever had. He pulled that engine many years ago but he did find the title and everything (I believe he gave that info to you when you came by).

He told me it was a 5 speed but I honestly never even looked at the engine, I assumed it was since when I bought my 620 he said i could grab the 5-speed if it would work (but Datzenmike said t wouldnt) so I was on the hunt for a 280ZX 5 speed.

can you post pics of the engine and trans, especially the casting #'s

you can call clark, PM me for his contact info if you need it. I dont know if he will know since its been so many years since he actually pulled it, but may be worth it, he remembers all his old 32 fords from when he was 12...

If it where a b210 five speed it would be a dogleg and marked 63a on the passenger side and the speedo would connect on the rear driver side and the clutch slave front passenger, if marked 60 its a 210/b310 trans. 63a has a different output spline count I believe,

Identification marks are always on the distributor side (right side)of Datsun A-series engines

18238.jpg

OR

6475.jpg

It will be stamped A12, A12A, A13, A14 or A15.

A15 uses the second A14 block casting

* 11010-H9700 A14/A15 BARE BLOCK 76mm/2.99" bore size

* Bore: 76 mm

Earlier A14 blocks were slightly different. The A15 oil pan has slight bumps in the side to allow the larger crank to swing without touch the pan sides.

The earlier A14 block is different.

There were two 60 series 5 speeds, the FS5W60L and the FS5W60A but the case will only say 60 on it. The FS5W60L is a dogleg shift pattern with reverse above 1st...

R 2 4

1 3 5

The FS5W60A is the normal H pattern with reverse below 5th...

1 3 5

2 4 R

Very hard to tell apart by looking. The top one below is the FS5W60A. Below it is the dogleg FS5W60L. See the white arrow marked 'right side'? It's pointing to a large nut which is only on dogleg transmissions. The yellow arrows point to oil drain bungs but you can't go wrong with the large nut on the right underside to identify the dogleg.

210FS5W60AandFS5W60Ldogleg.jpg

The FS5W60L dogleg was only used on the 210 for about half a year until July of '79 or until the start of the '80 model year when the regular pattern shift FS5W60A was used for the remainder of the 210 run.

Take note that the 60 series 4 speeds look very similar to the FS5W60A 5 speed. Best to place in 5th gear and confirm that the output turns about 5 turns for every 4 input turns.

we have 20 plus a12 motors at my schools auto shop and it seems somewhat sketchy on how they were numbered. half of them have no identification numbers, some have one, and some have two. i dont know if datsun just didnt have their shit together back then or what but maybe if the vin says one thing and the block says another, it might be a screw up... not sure just a suggestion.

OK!...................... more lousy pics........................... @#$%^&*()(*&^%$#$%^&*( camera, gonna ask Santa for a good one :blink:

http://s1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/lylesphotobucket/My%201965%20Datsun%20L320/

This IS an A15 motor; I know the pic doesn't show it well, but I saw it.

The trans is a '60' series and I dunno what a 4 spd looks like. The trans is 27" long overall, if that helps.

PBL310

The first letter denotes:

K.... coupe

W... wagon

No letter indicates a sedan

The second letter denotes:

P.... A15

H... A14

No letter indicates an A12

Third letter:

L... left hand drive

B310... model

The forth letter denotes:

R... 2 door

No letter indicates 4 door

The 5th letter denotes:

S... standard trim

No letter indicates deluxe trim

The 6th letter denotes:

F.... 5 speed

A.... automatic

No letter indicates 4 speed

The 7th letter denotes:

U... federal

V... California

N... Canada

The rest are build numbers, like 0000542588 or the 542588th one built that year.

PLB310. B310 is the model identifier. A "310" model was a Bluebird from the 1960s. A B310 was a Sunny from 1979-82, AKA the 210 in the US.

Mike, I'm curious- do Canadian Datsuns have that alphabet soup AFTER the Model number in the "serial number" (like PL620TUV)? Because American ones don't. The only place you'd find the additional letters was in the factory manual or on ones built in 1981+ marked as the "Model Number" on the Dataplate, I suppose. The dataplates from 1980 or older don't say diddly about trim or number of doors. The serial number on my '76 is KHL620######, and my '79 is HLG620######. Or my '78 Wagon, WHLA10######. The "Type" on the dataplates for the KC is KHL620. Nothing more. On the '79, it's HLG620. My Mom's '73, it's PL620. But that one I have the window sticker