Won't go past 20 mph

Like the title describes, my Datsun 510 started acting up on me. I'm writing on here hoping to get some feedback from anyone

as to why this might be happening at steps to fix the problem.

So, these are the symptoms:

Car was driving fine then out of the blue the car started to sputter and didn't want to go past 20 mph.

It doesnt die and it starts up still but when I give it gas, it starts popping from the exhaust and doesn't want to rev anymore. But it doesn't die, it just

keeps popping if I keep my foot on the gas.

I changed the distributor a couple of months ago before this started it that's any help.

Since the problem, i've changed the spark plugs and fuel filter but still no luck.

Please help!! 262111_203957319656135_100001256066716_706786_2116093_n.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if you are running the stock ignition points ignition, I would see about changing the ignition condenser. It can cause some serious lack of power. Also make sure your distributor is timed right, but by the sounds of it, nothings has really changed.

It could, You can check your fuel filter to see it looks dirty.

Fuel/Air ratio and ignition timing can cause backfiring.

To me the ignition condenser to very likely to go out (more so than any carb related thing) They can be bad out of the box. Its cheap ($3)

To me you havent changed anything in your car. This problem develops. If nothing is broken then it is something that wore down. In the ignition circuit that is usually the points or the condenser. In fuel delivery, lines or fuel filters can be clogged, fuel pump can wear down (not high enough output).

SO make sure you have consistent spark, and make sure your fuel delivery is constant and strong.

Next time it acts up as quick as you can shove in the clutch and turn the ignition off. I mean as fast as you can and then pull over safely, so have a care on the highway. Now take the air filter off and look at the glass on the front of the carb. Is the fuel level on or close to the line etched into the glass? If it is it's not your fuel pump or fuel supply to the carb. If the level is low or not showing see the bottom line*

Backfire out the exhaust is usually an interruption in the ignition circuit and can likely be badly set up or worn set of points. If the points do not make good contact or contact is lost briefly the unburned gas and air goes down the exhaust pipe. As soon as the ignition begins working it exploded the fuel/air in the pipes. A loose wire to the ballast resister, to either coil terminals or at the points themselves will do the same.

*If you have never changed the fuel filter ... do so. $7 and a screwdriver.