Weber cold weather starting

So my stock carb on my L16 521 was acting up. It was dumping the fuel from the bowl into engine after sitting a few days. Also went from 32mpg to 18! SInstead of messing with it I decided now is a good time to put a weber on. Got brand new manual choke 32/36 weber last weekend. I put it and the offenhauser intake on.

Spent all day Saturday tinkering and tuning on it. No vacuum leaks, spark plugs only have 200 miles on em. Advanced the timing just slightly. Got it to run great, very smooth. Idle speed 750 or so. When warm fires right up idles perfect. Let it sit for several hours, still fires right up. Everything seems good. Fast idle and choke and everything works like it should.

Fast forward to this morning and its been cold and snowed few inches. 10 degrees F this morning, truck has not run since Sunday, been crankin for 30 minutes and truck absolutely will not start!! Pulled choke and just barely tapped throttle. Just cranks and cranks and cranks..........nothin.

Am I missing something?? I understand you don't just throw on a new carb and away you go. When it runs it runs bueatiful!! Is it too much carb for a 210 head?? Do i have to get smaller jets or anything like that??

Engine is pretty fresh, complete rebuild 3 years ago, has about 11,000 miles on it.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Winters get quite cold here. I do not drive it very much this time of year but I at least like to go out every weekend and let her run for a few minutes.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would do this in increments.

I would try pull the choke(half) on pump the pedal once . try start then twice so on.

then ck for spark at the end of the center coil wire to ground. If you have spark then pull a spark plug. If flooded out then swap new plugs in there and with no choke and gas hopefully it starts up. Then if it does it again I assume its the carb. maybe the float is too high.

most time bolt a DGV to a L motor is a botl on . I have never rejetted main jets on a Weber.

also ck the intake is tight and the carb is tight.

Its running now but wow!!

Thanks for tips guys. When I first cranked it this morning I just pulled choke, no throttle. Cranked it. Nothin, no hint of wanting to start. Intake is tight. There are no leaks.

Been doin my reseaerch and reading the Tuning guide in this section. I am running stock coil with EI dizzy. Do i need a better coil?? Get stronger spark?

Shes out there runnin like a champ right now.

MY last 2 weber DGV wre eleltric but I could never get the choke set correctly so I just turn the heater coil back where the choke plate would stay open.

I pump a few times to prime the carb and try to start. This works for me.

Longer the 521 sits the more it takes to get going

I am running stock coil with EI dizzy?

What this mean?

Stock 521 coil or a Matchbox coil?

stock 521 coils need a ballast resisitor in series.Otherwise they get HOT.

Matchbox Coil doesn not need a ballast.

Its running now but wow!!

Thanks for tips guys. When I first cranked it this morning I just pulled choke, no throttle. Cranked it. Nothin, no hint of wanting to start. Intake is tight. There are no leaks.

Been doin my reseaerch and reading the Tuning guide in this section. I am running stock coil with EI dizzy. Do i need a better coil?? Get stronger spark?

Shes out there runnin like a champ right now.

Also check the gaps on the plugs....if old and have a wider gap, not conducive for the colder starts

That will work but you are only running a pointless set up and not taking advantage of the extra spark power the EI is capable of. I suggest an EI coil and get rid of the ballast resistor. Re-gap the plugs wider 0.038-0.042" to give a longer spark.

My L16 was horrible on cold mornings. Though it started everytime. Pull choke almost completely out, pump gas twice, start. I also have an Offy intake and 32/36. My L18 is alot more finicky, it really hates choke. I have to find a sweet spot where there is not too much and not too little to get it started, but once it has ran for 10 secs it doesnt need the choke anymore.

Ok, 23 degrees and snowing this morning. Went out to truck, set fast idle and no choke. She cranked for about 3-5 seconds and fired up. Wouldn't idle on her own for about a minute but, way better than yesterday :thumbup:

Thank you for the help guys!

I am going to get an EI coil and regap the plugs. I have this nagging feeling that I was gonna do that last winter too :hmm: .

Oh yeah I forgot to mention, I plugged in the block heater for an hour before I started her too. Haven't had to do that for 8 months so I kinda forgot aboot it.