SR 510 crushed by cops in CA

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And this goes for every state in th US. The laws about motor swaps are federal. So your L20b in your 71 510, unless it has all the smog stuff for the model year the motor was pulled from and the cert from the BAR...its ilegal. But so tis your L16 with the smog pump taken off. Do TONS of people get away with it....everyday.

You can find articles about cali crushing cars. They will explain what was done to end up with a crushed car.

in states and counties without smog laws or in counties where your vehicle is older than the exemption age, they don't and maybe can't do anything if they do know about it. there are 3 cops in my neighborhood, two of which in my cul de sac, watch me fog up my yard and some of theirs with various engines, including my car when it runs with the choke on for a long time. they dont even so much as look in my direction when i do it and i live in a county with emissions testing. I would be considered a gross polluter in NC.

And this goes for every state in th US. The laws about motor swaps are federal. So your L20b in your 71 510, unless it has all the smog stuff for the model year the motor was pulled from and the cert from the BAR...its ilegal. But so tis your L16 with the smog pump taken off. Do TONS of people get away with it....everyday.

That is exactly how I understand the law too. Even though the vintage smog equipment could be doing more harm now, then good, you aren't supposed to touch it.

I remember this issue came up when I had a 2000 Subi with a bad Cat in the exhaust. Check engine light was on, and had been on for a long time, at 245000. The car was still strong, but being in King Country I have to smog. I learned all sorts of cool things to try to get that light to turn off, even how to build a circuit to trick the ECU. But all of that is of course illegal and I never did it. I also learned that, according to federal law, you can't just replace a Cat with any kind of cat, wherever you want in the exhaust. Hell you're not even supposed to mess with it until it is officially certified in need of replacement! In the end, we just traded in the car.

I think like Shagy said, if the cops really started sniffing around and wanted to screw you over, there are PLENTY of opportunities in almost anybody's Datsun. Unfortunately the 510 platform and the fact that you don't have to get smog checks makes it a perfect platform for big HP mods. And consequently, all the douches who always ruin stuff for the rest of us are attracted to those as well, whether or not it is a SR. The SR is just a popular choice. And I would imagine in the fallout, there are some people who will eventually get their SR 510 crushed, for whatever reason.

In the end I am getting paranoid to stick a stock Z20E in a 510. But I think in reality it is all about not drawing attention to yourself. It seems like everybody has to strap a gigantic intercooler right to the front of their car now. True there are performance benefits, but in the end it is just a BIG ASS red flashing light that tells cops to start sniffing around your setup. It kind of reminds me of ferrets in California. It was another one of California's fine laws that deemed them illegal. However, everybody had them. You could buy ferret food and supplies at your local PetCo. There were known Ferret vets that would post up in public that they treated them in California. The one day I heard a story of a lady that had two of them confiscated and probably euthanized. It turns out she was walking down the street with the two of them on leashes in broad daylight.

My short block is gone, trust me I'd love a VH45/VK56 in my datto. im doing that for my Z, thats why i got this 300zx to tear the R200 dif and 5 speed tranny, hoping it'll at least hold up for that. but im toying with the idea of keeping this car and putting it back on the road. i can easily get $400 from the junkyard for this car, but my love for Nissans/Datsuns will not let me. if anything ill part it out but even that pains me because then i'd have to throw away the shell. i cant do that

I have a '95 Q45 sitting here waiting to get it's drive train removed and put into the Z. :) Well, screw the automatic, I have a 300ZX 5-speed to bolt onto the VH45DE. What I'm really hoping to do is swap over the Q's 5-lug ABS disc brake spindles as well along with the VLSD R200 rear end. Just need to find some garage space to do it; and have another vehicle since the Z is my daily at the moment.

Getting rid of the shell of the Q is going to be interesting once all the wheels are off. :/

The asshole is likely doing time when it's crushed.

"Those two criminals will no longer be a threat to anyone on the motorway."

Uh.. what about the COPS?! From what it looked like, it was the cop that caused the first, second, third, fourth, and fifth collisions. I wonder if the police department's insurance paid for it, or if they pulled the typical "not our problem" bullshit.

in states and counties without smog laws or in counties where your vehicle is older than the exemption age, they don't and maybe can't do anything if they do know about it. there are 3 cops in my neighborhood, two of which in my cul de sac, watch me fog up my yard and some of theirs with various engines, including my car when it runs with the choke on for a long time. they dont even so much as look in my direction when i do it and i live in a county with emissions testing. I would be considered a gross polluter in NC.

they CAN do something about it if they wanted to. Its a FEDERAL law....

I think they might if desperate for an excuse. So don't give them one. States tend to look down on the feds as the meddling assholes they are and resent them, so why do their job for them? It all comes down to not being a dick, and maybe that isn't enough. Drive responsibly, keep a low profile, don't get all 'ricer' with spoiler, insane rainbow colors like you just barffed out a 7/11 128oz Slurpee, big fart cannon, redonkulous rims and camber fucked tires.

My truck (620) is 14 to 16" higher than stock with 'Yoda axle in front and 33" tires and you can't do that without bending a few rules. I talked to a 'Yoda owner that gets pulled over once a week and fined. Usually he has to find smaller rims and tires to drive to the inspection. But get this: he cruises around town all night with drunken friends with the radio loud, squealing tires. On weekends he's up at the lake at the usual illegal party spots with fires and ripping up the scenery. People get sick of that shit and so are the cops, so they watch him and sooner or later (usually sooner) they nail him for some bullshit beef, and I for one don't blame them. I'm seen often by the police driving around town at or below the speed limit. They don't even look at me anymore.

• Like 1

good point. i dont do burnouts and if i am loud, its usually during the middle of the day when its not quite as annoying, and i'm dont let anything get super loud to begin with. and i only gross pollute sometimes. and it kinda helps that all the cops but one are out of county cops and i know all of them. maybe i'm not quite as bad as i thought.

People get sick of that shit and so are the cops, so they watch him and sooner or later (usually sooner) they nail him for some bullshit beef, and I for one don't blame them. I'm seen often by the police driving around town at or below the speed limit. They don't even look at me anymore.

Explains why, in small town Washington (Vader), I got pulled over, the cop sauntered up, got to my window, looked at me and went "Oh, sorry, thought you were the local pain in the ass. You both drive 280Z similar colors. Watch your speed a little, you were about 5 over back there."

"Wait.. sir.. are you telling me there is a jackass out there giving Datsuns a bad name? That's blasphemy!"

"*Sly smile* If I hear a report of two Z owners getting into a fight somewhere, I'll make sure to finish my coffee before I leave the station; how's that?"

"Sounds great officer!"

:D