my new 1979 620 king cab

the nice machine

EDIT: awww look i found my very first post on ratsun! what a mess!

Well i have to finish this truck, the first few pages are old sloppy noobness, the current stuff starts on page 3 i think... i will leave all of my sloppy beginner posts here for posterity.

am i really going to have to open a flickr account to post photos here?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right on, nice KC. Medford, eh? I'm over in Grants Pass. :)

Looks like that paint would buff out nicely, too!

It's funny. I see a vehicle and I'm like... I can make that shineeeee lol.

Right on, nice KC. Medford, eh? I'm over in Grants Pass. :)

Looks like that paint would buff out nicely, too!

It's funny. I see a vehicle and I'm like... I can make that shineeeee lol.

you think that paint can be saved? the hood is in perfect condition but there is some heavy oxidation on the sides. i know how to buff plastic and chrome, is buffing paint the same in theory? i'd be scared of wearing it down to metal.

So i am new at working on cars, but i feel smart and i am good at building stuff so here i go... when i bought this guy the brake lights weren't working. i put in a new brake light switch and that got the left side brake light working, now i have to figure out how to get the one on the right working. i replaced all of the bulbs and checked fuses. I just bought a test light, i've never used one but i think i can figure it out. I am going to clean the fusebox and the turn signal switch today, if that doesn't work i will get in there with the test light and track the problem down. i'm glad i found this forum, you can find more info on here than in any book. i also just buffed out all of the plastic lights. I want to make it stock on the outside but i have some engine and electrical stuff to work on first. IMGP1537.jpg

So i am new at working on cars, but i feel smart and i am good at building stuff so here i go... when i bought this guy the brake lights weren't working. i put in a new brake light switch and that got the left side brake light working, now i have to figure out how to get the one on the right working. i replaced all of the bulbs and checked fuses. I just bought a test light, i've never used one but i think i can figure it out. I am going to clean the fusebox and the turn signal switch today, if that doesn't work i will get in there with the test light and track the problem down. i'm glad i found this forum, you can find more info on here than in any book. i also just buffed out all of the plastic lights. I want to make it stock on the outside but i have some engine and electrical stuff to work on first. IMGP1537.jpg

If both left and right signals are working and only one brake light then it's not the wiring or bulb at the back. On the 620 the signals and the brake lights are shared. Brakes are wired through the turn signal switch and then to the back L & R bulbs on seperate wires. When you signal, say a right turn, the lever inside the column disconnects the brake light on the right and connects the signal flasher to those right side bulbs. In opperation you slow down and hit the brakes and both sides brake lights light up. As soon as you turn the turn signal on for a right turn, the right side brake light is disconnected and the lights goes off and the flasher begins flashing them.

If you have both side turn signals possibly the brake light signal wire i broken at the solder joint. I had this on my '78 and was a bitch to figure out how everything works but a few seconds with a soldering iron to fix.

thanks for the tips y'all. I haven't started in on the turn signal switch and brake light yet, i spent the day building an 8 foot wide gate on my fence so i can park my truck in the yard. Tomorrow i will be building a tarp garage so i will have a dry spot to work. As far as my plans for it, i am going to throw some stock-ish wheels (just some les schab "rally" wheels with the dog bowl hubcaps), buff all of the metal and plastic, bang out/fill dents and most likely paint it white. gonna try to find some small chrome mirrors that i can shine up. I am just going to try to get it cleaned up so that it looks like it's from the factory. i know this is a big job but i have the gift of persistence. I am also looking for some bucket seats that will fit, i don't know if i can save the dash or not it is really cracked up.

It runs decent i need to work on the steering linkage, maybe if i am feeling confident by spring i will look into converting it to a 5 speed. Also i plan on doing whatever it takes to get the best mpg i can. okey doke.

Nice truck! What they said about the trailer light hook-up. I've seen some really bad wiring too. Clean and check your plugs on the rear wiring harness under the rear of the bed. I had one where they bypassed some wires on the plug and twisted (not soldered)it back together.

Why do people put bench seats in King Cabs? Are the buckets uncomfortable or did they just wear out?

Keep posting!

DSCF2017.jpgDSCF2015.jpgDSCF2014.jpg So i needed to clean out the turn signal switch because it was sticking and felt gunky. I was also hoping it would be an easy fix for the right brake light. As soon as i took off the face of the steering wheel i saw that the contacts that the horn buttons touch when you mash them were bent down, so the buttons weren't making contact. i bent them back up and that solved the horn mystery, it now works. I had to take the steering wheel off but it was stuck, so i had to make a steering wheel puller out of some scrap steel. There were two little bolt holes right there next to the main bolt on the steering column, so i found the right size bolt to fit them, put them through the piece of steel and used bolts to tighten it down until it popped off. You should be able to see how it worked from the pictures below. A steering wheel puller is 40 bucks at harbor freight, this was free.

Anyhoo, i took apart the turn signal switch and cleaned out the funky stuff that had built up over the last 33 years. IF YOU DO THIS DON'T LOSE THE B.B. UNDERNEATH THE END OF THE TURN STICK! you won't be able to turn on your brights. I cleaned the shit ouf all of the tiny parts and put it all back together. It didn't fix the right brake light, but the turn signal didn't stick as bad when i came out of turns. then all of a sudden the right turn signal stopped clicking. the turn lights come on but they won't flash now, so i have to flash them manually. The good news is that now i can just turn on the right turn light when i hit the brakes so it looks like i actually have both brake lights! I got fed up with electrical stuff and started working on the cosmetic stuff. So i sanded down the console and painted it, armor-alled the dash, scrubbed, blah blah blah. tomorrow is another day, i will get this electrical stuff figured out.

DSCF2012.jpg

sorry for the random question, but can people fit inside the king "cab"?

Ya, little people fit back there,lol. Lookin good man! I would check at the rear light for your 12vdc. If it's not there, check for it coming out of the switch. If it's not there check it coming into switch, etc until you find your loss of voltage. If you find 12 leaving the switch, but not at the light, it's broken wire. Electricity's easy. Oh, and http://www.davidcmurphy.com/olddat//620tech.htm#wd if you didn't have it already :) Keep us posted.