my new 1979 620 king cab

the nice machine

sorry for the random question, but can people fit inside the king "cab"?

Not really. The rear extra cab is made for cargo, pets, and extra leg room. When I had a truck like that I couldn't really see even putting a small seat for my 4 year old to set back there. Its just for "stuff", not people.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really. The rear extra cab is made for cargo, pets, and extra leg room. When I had a truck like that I couldn't really see even putting a small seat for my 4 year old to set back there. Its just for "stuff", not people.

I was 11 and used to ride back there man. it sucked. 720 KC, ftw...

• 2 months later...

Alright it has been a while since i've posted here. I've been pretty busy at work, i only get about 1 day a week to work on the champ (the truck has a name now). so in the last few months since i got it i have driven it about 5000 miles and I LOVE IT! i have been slowly working on it one piece at a time, the plan is eventually for it to be like new.

So now that i know a little bit more about my truck... it already had the weber carb when i got it, disc brakes in the front (pretty sure they were stock), at some point it had the california emission system, which is long gone now...

DSCF2599.jpg

DSCF2600.jpg

I really want to get serious about the cosmetic work on the body and the interior, but i wanted to get it running really smooth first. So i put in a new thermostat, spark plugs, new valve cover gasket to stop a leak, patched up the coolant reservoir hose, flushed the radiator, flushed the engine with an oil cleaner, cleaned the carb and filter, new fan belt, new distributor cap and rotor... and probably ten other things that i can't remember right now. Right after i did all of that, the clutch stopped working while i was going down the road. i got a tow home and figured out that i had just sprung a major leak in the slave cylinder, so i put in a new one and flushed out the hydraulic system. Good as new!

I wanted to get rid of those big wide tires and dukes of hazard rims (haha i do like the old rims but they weren't the style i am going for with this truck). I looked for stock 620 wheels for a while but couldn't find a full set, and the original dog dish caps are even harder to find, so i ended up getting some early 90's nissan wheels. I ordered some cheap baby moon hubcaps from the interwebs. early 90's wheels weren't made to hold hubcaps (no nipples) so i had to make some metal clips and screw them into the wheels. It was kind of a pain in the ass figuring out how to get everything measured and centered right but it worked out well. Now i have some super cool ratrod wheels.

a trashcan full of farm grade molasses will remove the rust from anything, just soak it.

DSCF2267.jpg

DSCF2264.jpg

DSCF2452.jpg

DSCF2450.jpg

DSCF2460.jpg

DSCF2459.jpg

Somebody that had the truck before me raised it up so high that there was basically no suspension. It was a very very bumpy ride. So once i had those big fat tires out of the way i was free to lower it back down to normal. i know a datsun mechanic that drives a 720 and has a lift so i had him lower the front end ( i'm going back to get the rear end lowered this week) and now the champ drives like grandma's cadillac!

DSCF2594.jpg

also i painted the grill and put in the original grill emblem. the emblem was new old stock bought from ebay and shipped all the way from kuwait. 30 bucks was a bit spendy but it is all about the details.

DSCF2466.jpg

DSCF2463.jpg

so that's it. it is a slow project but it will be done one of these days. i just starting filling dents and primering getting ready to paint it glossy black in a couple of months. i could save the paint, i have been practicing with my polisher and rubbing compounds on some old cars, but there are tons of tiny dents and paint chipped rusty spots so i would be spending more time trying try fix each spot just to save the blue paint. i want it black anyways.It is bondo time!

DSCF2596.jpg

DSCF2598.jpg

DSCF2597.jpg

DSCF2595.jpg

ONE LAST THING: i love this little truck. i used to drive a 4runner. it was a money pit. i will never drive a car with a computer in it ever again. fuck modern cars.

DSCF2593.jpg

So heres a cool story... i started having problems with my rear passenger side brake light again and i have a weak ground somewhere draining power so i decided to start in on the electrical issues again. I was on my way to harbor freight to get some shrink tube and stuff and i saw an older guy with a sweet 620. I said " hey nice truck" and he says "yeah i just got it i love this thing". i told him i was into these trucks... it turns out he had a '78 kc dash with all of the wires and gauges AND a wiring harness that he didn't need. i followed him to his house and picked it all up for 20 bucks!

DSCF2625.jpg

DSCF2622.jpg

DSCF2623.jpg

DSCF2626.jpg

DSCF2629.jpg

DSCF2627.jpg

he gave me the info on a couple of 620's that are sitting out in fields at his buddies' houses i am working on getting them right now.

as for the electrical problems... holy shit. first off i fixed the weak ground it was the left tail light ground wire so i cleaned it up and soldered it that fixed the weakening lights when i turned on my blinkers. the brake light... long story short i used a test light and traced the wire from the light all the way to the turn signal switch and i didn't get a positive anywhere. i'm pretty sure the turn signal switch is the problem. Does anybody know if there is one brake light line out of the turn signal or are there two? i got a light from one wire there but... the reason i'm confused is because NOTHING MATCHES THE WIRING DIAGRAM FOR THIS TRUCK!!! the wires don't even match each other between connecting points (sorry forgot to take pics). So i am pretty sure this shit got all hacked up at some point. i don't know i am brand new at electronics but i have been doing a lot of studying on it lately, this looks like a big mess to me. i've already found some of the points where different colored wires were spliced together and taped. and to make matters a little worse... the 1979 was the most complicated system ever.

here is the wiring diagram for the basic UK model 620:

ukdatsunwiringdiagram12.jpg

ukdatsunwiringdiagram23.jpg

and here is the wiring diagram for the 1979 american model:

wiringdiagram1979datsun620page1-1.jpg

wiringdiagram1979datsun620page2-1.jpg

and the worst part is, none of it actually matches MY truck

the good news is i've got an extra wiring harness now, and i might have a couple more later model (78's) parts trucks soon. so right now i am thinking about redoing the wiring harness without all of the extra bullshit and totally rewiring this mamma jamma. i want to make it really simple like i do with my bikes, no extra crap. i already took out the windshield washer motor, now the washer nozzles are hooked up to a water gun that i keep in the cab. that's some player shit right there.

• 2 weeks later...

Another day, another adventure. Today when i left for work i turned on my turn signal and something snapped, then the turn stick was stuck in place and the signals wouldn't work. so i went back home and tried once again to find a new or rebuilt one online and at the local junkyards, and i couldn't find anything. rockauto had one listed for 115 bucks but they were out of stock. So i had to figure out how to fix it. i had this missing brake light problem too, so i took the whole thing apart.

DSCF2682.jpg

DSCF2691.jpg

i kept taking it apart until i found the broken plastic. I found it underneath this circuit board thingy.

DSCF2692.jpg

first off, check out the corrosion. That was my brake light problem. That little plastic part with the copper pieces in it slides back and forth.

DSCF2687.jpg

there was a tiny piece of plastic that had chipped off of the face of this board.

DSCF2696.jpg

this little chip. it is smaller than a match head but it was preventing the little plastic thingy from sliding across to the contact. so i glued it back in place.

DSCF2700.jpg

the other piece of plastic was a little nub from this piece. this is after i glued it back on. this part controls height of the contacts for the brights/pass flash doohickey.

DSCF2702.jpg

once i got everything cleaned up i had to figure out how to put it back together. that took about 6 hours because i forgot to write down the order that the contacts stacked back in. Once i finally got it all put back together the brake light worked and the turn signals work, everything works. COOL!

DSCF2704.jpg

i posted all of this because it took forever to figure out the brake light problem and these thing are really hard to find. maybe this is your brake light problem too. thanks datzen mike for suggesting the turn signal/brake light connection. if you take yours apart... DON'T LOSE THE BALL BEARING BEHIND THIS PIECE OF STEEL!!!

• 4 weeks later...

i bought a 720 longbed with an l20b and a 5 speed, i am going to put my 620 kc body on it! i'm pretty sure i will be able to fit the air conditioner in the cab pretty easily too. the girlfriend will be stoked this summer.

DSCF2855.jpg

DSCF2856.jpg

DSCF2857.jpg

also started restoring a dash tonight. i'm not sure how i'm going to do it, but it will involve a sander, a heat gun, and some fiberglass resin.

DSCF2859.jpg

DSCF2861.jpg

• 6 months later...

Hey now! time to pick this old ass thread back up.

My last post was back in february and i had just got a 720 for a parts truck. The engine on the 620 was tired, the engine on the 720 is good except for worn cams. The brakes, shocks, and rear axle are in better condition on the 720 so i planned to just switch the 620 body onto the 720. I drove the living hell out of the 620 (7000 miles and about 40 trips loaded with 5-600 pounds), finally the rear axle started getting worse so i parked it and got a B210 for a daily driver.

I had to wait until summer to start work on it, i was moving to a new house and busy with life... which brings us up to now.

Soooo.... for the last couple of months i have been working on the truck about ten hours a week, lately about 20 hours a week. I have it mostly taken apart, i have been slowly restoring all of the lights and plastic parts, cleaning up all of the bolts and stuff, sandblasting rust off of body parts, etc. Really i've been mostly just dicking around out in my garage drinking coffee and listening to music, so the progress has been pretty slow.

But now me and the lady have decided to move back to Portland in a few months, so i have to get my ass in gear and get the champ running again and being a happy truck! Well, you guys know how it is, sometimes you have a plan but life seems to get in the way, so you have to adjust your plan a little bit. Maybe instead of doing a full "ground up" restoration with a body swap and every screw polished, I might need to start thinking more practically. I'm looking at the 620 cab thinking " okay i have a chain hoist and a girlfriend here, how am i going to lift the cab off off the frame, keep it high enough to blast and paint the underside, lower it back onto the 720 frame..."

basically it is more work than i have time to do right now, SO I AM NOT PUTTING THE 620 ON THE 720 FRAME. This means i won't get to paint my engine bay and make it pretty like i wanted, but hey that's how life works out sometimes. This truck is a worker bee not a beauty queen.

cleanup time... the floors are good, there is some surface rust but that's it. It looks like somebody painted it but it has peeled up and exposed some metal. I'll be scaping it clean and giving it a coat of por15, then putting in some foam and new carpet (just like this http://community.rat...ound +deadening ). I will be doing a lot of soundproofing too.

DSCF4176.jpg

DSCF4177.jpg

Somebody dipped this poor fella in mud at some point.

DSCF4175.jpg

I've been spending too much time doing stuff like this, sanblasting paint. It was fun, but this just went from a "however long it takes" job to a "i need a truck really soon" job. So i'm blasting the rust off of all of the backsides of the body parts, primering them, and then i'm going to give them a nice coat of por15. I am going to put it back together, i can deal with painting the outside later.

one bare metal fender.

DSCF4401.jpg

still have to pull this engine+5 speed trans, put the top end on the good L20B and drop that one in.

DSCF4404.jpg

Since i'm ditching out on my body swap idea, i am going to remove the rust and repaint the parts of the frame that i can get to. I'll probably pressure wash under the cab and derust and paint what i can reach.

DSCF4398.jpg

I can derust the bed later, when the truck is back on the road.

DSCF4172.jpg

DSCF4407.jpg

the lights are clean.

DSCF4227.jpg

DSCF4400.jpg

i am also going to switch the rear axle and the exhaust and muffler and a few other things. And i'm NOT doing the air conditioner, it just doesn't sound like fun.

i'll be back.

Good luck on your project man, looks like you got a bit of work ahead. :(

FYI, I think you need some new back tires. ;)

haha those tires... i was in the middle of moving, i was driving down bumpy dirt roads with heavy loads. My wheels got knocked out of alignment but i didn't have time to deal with it, so i kept rotaing the tires and moving loads. I ruined a whole set of tires in about two weeks. I got all of my stuff moved, though.