datsun 620 locked rear

Zfighter76

i know there are a few threads similar to this but my question isnt answered in any of them so i figure ill just ask. i have a 620 and i want to lock the read end, or get a locker, i dont need a fancy lsd, just something which ties the rear wheels. i know they make locked spool configurations but i dont know what would drop right into my diff housing. anyone know where i can get a locked diff for my truck without modifications or new axle? i could just go ahead and weld it and thats what i will do if i cant find anything but thought i'd give it a last ditch effort before i result to permanant measures. i like the idea of a spool in the back, just straight up direct drive, but i dont know where to begin looking for these things. thanks!

• Like 1
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so nonbody makes them anymore huh? thats what i was afraid of. i heard that the s12 uses the h190 but i wasnt sure. and i think they make a lsd for that but like youve both said, expensive. i just liked the idea of a spool because they only cost like a hundred bucks or so. welded rear will be it i guess. now when i do this, is there any worrys about it being off balance if the welds arent exaaaactly the same on both sidees?

Yes the S12 did (briefly to '84) use an H-190 also the earlier S110 '82 and up and the Maxima wagon, none with LSD.

There was a rare D-21 H-190 LSD rear end as an option from '88-'92 but you would have to look through a lot of Hardbodys to find one and the only indication from the outside is a little orange sticker on the 'bum' that says ...

Pathfinder--D-21conversion034Large.jpg

Pathfinder--D-21conversion039Large.jpg

So you are left with $800 price tag for a locker/LSD, if available..... or $1.89 for a couple of welding rods.

me+open diff=bad news.

i just wanna have fun practicality really doesnt matter to me.

please only post if you know where i can get a locked rear, i dont need advice on how i should have my car, thanks for the consideration though.

Well I can't offer any advice without advising caution if going this route. There's a a reason for an open diff or we'd all have a solid axle with rims on each end. Any turn, specially tight turns, but any turn really means that one tire, the outside, has further to travel than the inside one. Because they are forced to turn at the same speed on a welded axle, one (or both) must break traction and slide on the road surface. With one wheel slipping this leaves only one other wheel at the back keeping the vehicle on the road. If both are slipping slightly then grip on the road is lessened and the back end tries to come around in massive oversteer. On hard dry pavement the rear weight transfer is towards the outside wheel as the car leans into a turn so it has the advantage of more traction than the inside wheel but patches of wet pavement, gravel or dust, or wet leaves and ice or snow can cause abrupt loss of traction and severe oversteer. Another problem is a turn with sudden down slope where the vehicle weight lifts upward on the suspension and the tires loose their already poor grip. An oversteer correction on a welded diff car is much much harder to get under control. A welded diff makes all of these scenarios worse, that's all. Drive with extreme caution in poor weather or poor traction conditions. Do not trust a welded diff at any time. A welded diff is fine.... until it's too late.

... welded rear will be it i guess. now when i do this, is there any worrys about it being off balance if the welds arent exaaaactly the same on both sidees?

The rear end isn't spinning fast enough and the extra weight from the welds is close to the axis of rotation anyway. No worries.

thanks for the caution, and i realize the downfalls of running a locked diff on the street. luckily wet, icy, or low traction conditions are almost non existant where i live, its almost always sunny, and dry, and the roads grip very well. i realize that the back can come around at any time but i think i can deal with it, plus im used to driving a miata with a welded diff lol. ive never had it come undone in a corner unless i "accidentally" got into the gas too much. i can manage getting around a corner slow enough to where itll just chirp im sure. though i guess a pickup does have a light rear end. another route for me is the lsd toyota axle. i dont mind if its a bit wider, ill just run flares or leave it "mexi flush".cool.gifdoes anyone here know what year toyota axle i would need to look for? and would i need a custom driveshaft? leaf perches? or any other custom mounting?

and what about the electronic locking rear diffs? my dads 2001 tacoma with the trd package has a button that you press to lock the rear axle but i dont know if it would be very durable. i would only be locking it to get sideways anyways. (cars werent meant to go straight)

There is no real availability of any user selectable lockers for the H190 rear axles. Nobody ever made one.

If you do weld up the rear end, please at least remove the differential from the 3rd member and remove the ring gear before you weld it.... hard spots from spatter on a high carbon steel ring gear never end up well.

If you do weld up the rear end, please at least remove the differential from the 3rd member and remove the ring gear before you weld it.... hard spots from spatter on a high carbon steel ring gear never end up well.

Good advise!

Just cover it.

Had to put a caution in there because of younger viewers. Don't want them thinking welding a diff is OK or without consequences.

yeah i understand where youre coming from. youre a smart dude and probably the one who most on ratsun hope will respond to their post, dont exactly wanna be encouraging "irresponsible" behavior.wink.gif

yeah i understand where youre coming from. youre a smart dude and probably the one who most on ratsun hope will respond to their post, dont exactly wanna be encouraging "irresponsible" behavior.wink.gif

But you'll partake in it? For the sake of drifting a 40 year old truck with leaf springs?

:poke:

you obviously havnt seen the truck. its rusted through in some spot in almost every body panel, the windows are cracked, the previous owner off roaded the piss out of it, and it has an aftermarket engine, its not exactly restoration quality, i payed fifty bucks for it and its not going to be parked. i drive the shit out of every car i have because cars arent meant to look fast, theyre meant to go fast, and these trucks handle great for what they are and theyre tail happy so why no let the truck do what it wants? let the tail slide, the truck likes it. i can fix anything that will break for fairly cheap, especially with the deals and people on ratsun. and i will still put it to use, ill try to carry shit in my bed with holes ;) i wasnt saying that i wasnt going to take datzenmikes advice, i simply thanked him for his consideration towards safety, though i probably will be irresponsible and fuck around, hey im seventenn, i like to have fun.my original plan for this truck was to make it a rally truck that i could take to the desert and throw around on the dirt roads, so i think driving it on the street would be more repectful to the car. its jsut a big old rusty go cart

Yeah and my truck was the same. Picked it up out if a field. They are getting harder and harder to find. So when I personally hear about one being beat to death it kinda urks me. But her we are comparing enthusiast to owner here. Little time and work and it wouldn't be a pile if rust. Truck is only asone shitty asdeal you leave it. Do what you want though its your truck. Just voicing my opinion.

definately wont ever see a junkyard. if anthing ive rescued this car, its been sitting in a driveway since 1986 and i dumped all of my money and time into making it run. i put a new engine, tires, carrier bearing, brakes, fuel lines, shocks, lights, electronics, not to mention hours of cleaning, polishing, lubing ;) fabricating, and other things. im not the kind of person who stop s a project halfway, and im definately not just an owner, just because i dont like to baby my cars around town doesnt mean im going to crash it or let it go to waste. i still wash my car once or twice a week even though it just exposes more rust every time i rub it, i love my car, but cars like to be driven. it it does in fact brak something than i will fix it and not let it happen again. its a unique car but you would have to see it up close to see the little touches that make it evident that i care about my car. i realize that they are hard to find nowadays and thats why i snagged it up. believe me, i dont neglect my cars, i dont disrespect my cars, i love my cars. this car, just a few short weeks ago was bound for the junkyard. now its cruising down the road and getting thumbs up as it does. i dont need people telling me im an idiot for having fun with my car. i dont understand why on a forum everyone always has to be a dick about everything. i dont bag on your guys's threads, when i see something i dont approve of, i keep it to myself. and what other 17 year old do you know that does a complete engine swap in 4 days?(succesfully)...

• Like 1