ca18det vs ka24de vs sr

poltroon

Were one to look at going to a more robust engine, it appears NA folks lean toward the ka24de for obvious torque reasons. However, Im curious if a ca18det is a possible option for the 521? Anyone else tried this? Does it even fit? Other options? pros / cons vs a full sr20 upgrade?

thanks.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

more then anything, im looking at options. Certainly, the availability of the ka makes it nice. Its pretty easy to work on, and did I mention there are lots of them (im a ex 240sx whore, been down that road a time or two...). I never built a turbo dat/nis however, and i thought it might be fun since the ca18's are pretty solid motors. *shrug*

I dont even have my 521 yet, so this is all hypothetical anyway... though, the search is decidedly on.

Were one to look at going to a more robust engine, it appears NA folks lean toward the ka24de for obvious torque reasons. However, Im curious if a ca18det is a possible option for the 521? Anyone else tried this? Does it even fit? Other options? pros / cons vs a full sr20 upgrade?

thanks.

I dont even have my 521 yet, so this is all hypothetical anyway... though, the search is decidedly on.

None of those motors with transmissions (and I say transmissions because the 521 4 speed: A/ won't fit and B/ would blow up in ten minutes of driving) would 'drop in', even if they did they are all EFI engines with complicated electronics.

Why a 521 and not a 510 or 610/710 or anything light and handles?

Maybe a hypothetical picture of your truck???

more then anything, im looking at options. Certainly, the availability of the ka makes it nice. Its pretty easy to work on, and did I mention there are lots of them (im a ex 240sx whore, been down that road a time or two...). I never built a turbo dat/nis however, and i thought it might be fun since the ca18's are pretty solid motors. *shrug*

When you get around to it, look for a KA from a truck.

Single slammer or DOHC.

That will ease the pain a bit.

Because i want a truck, thats really all there is to it. I like the look of the 521 over say the 620 or 720. Anyway, thanks for all the feedback, guess ill just find a ka when i find a truck to put it in :)

I like your style.

Because 521's are bad ass!!!

You should -1 yourself for that one...Mod.

;)

Man knows what he wants. Plus for you! They are badass.

It's OK I'm a former 521 owner. Had one for 8 years and even put an L20B in it.

Flatcat, you can't + or - yourself. Even the mods.

• 4 years later...

This is a fun but very old thread. Let me revive it. So any new info on the OP? What engine did you go with? Also, Some curiosity I have is with this being a 5yr old post and at that time many people had done multiple swaps, why are there no committed swap threads? Sure there are builds with the swap in them but very very little "pinned" info on swap specifics. For example, i have a CA18DET. There are multiple trucks on here with that engine swapped in but I have to go to 240sx forums for specific swap help and info. why? 

If parts werent a bit hard to get my 1st choice is ca18det. They seem so well balanced and can handle abuse. But ka is my 1st choice as i am into my 3rd ka swaped 521. They can make alot of power. 3rd choice is sr

But all depends on budget and what your intentions are with the swap, power? Cruising? Showing off? Being like Philip with the swag hat cause u want the attention his car gets? Hillclimb? Drift?

Go with ka