Fuel filter upgrade?

Probally a dumb question, but can I use a different fuel filter on my 521? The direct replacemnts just look cheap as shit. I havent cut one open, but they just appear to be crappy.

Im not sure if one for higher fuel pressure vehicles would be a tighter element, and the stock pump not have enough umph to pull gas through.

I think most of my fuel issues are behind me, but a upgrade would be nice.

I searched on google, and didnt really find crap.

Thanks

Jeff

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

definitely follow his advice. i got a $12 mr gasket clear reusable one and it lets a little bit of stuff through. and i'm constantly cleaning out my carb. a clean gas tank would help but i wish i would have got a nicer filter as well.

Sweet, another Georgia Datto!!! Im going to have a looksee at some tommarow when I go get my wheel bearing and other junk. Any datsuns for sale up your way?

Thanks

Jeff

Probally a dumb question, but can I use a different fuel filter on my 521? The direct replacemnts just look cheap as shit. I havent cut one open, but they just appear to be crappy.

Im not sure if one for higher fuel pressure vehicles would be a tighter element, and the stock pump not have enough umph to pull gas through.

I think most of my fuel issues are behind me, but a upgrade would be nice.

I searched on google, and didnt really find crap.

Thanks

Jeff

If you want, I can PM you my number and you can give me a call or text me tomorrow night and look up some better alternates at work. I use the OEM filter, but I've also considered a better one.

• Like 1

my 521 had two filters. One of those glass filters to filter out the big shit, and then a paper filter after that for the fine stuff.

thats what i need to do. the mr gasket filter is pretty good at getting the big stuff out. i have never seen anything bigger than a very fine grit get through it. but it still gets my jets clogged after a while.

I have a 510 and I think the filter is probably the same as a 521 and never had any problem with the "chepo deluxe" types, the ones we buy at Oreillys or autozone,32/36 weber also has a built in filter. A lot has to do with the condition of you gas tank. You can buy the moste xpensive filter but if your tank is cruddy then you'll be replacing your filter often. Good luck.

I have a 510 and I think the filter is probably the same as a 521 and never had any problem with the "chepo deluxe" types, the ones we buy at Oreillys or autozone,32/36 weber also has a built in filter. A lot has to do with the condition of you gas tank. You can buy the moste xpensive filter but if your tank is cruddy then you'll be replacing your filter often. Good luck.

amen to that. my tank was nasty so it kept clogging up. i have friends who have the same filter as me and they never have to clean it. so it really does depend on if your tank is nasty, if the car has fresh gas in it all the time, and stuff like that.

Just an update. Metalmonkey be tha shit!!! Made good on his promise and called me with some numbers. Will go in the AM and grab one.

Thanks Again Dude :thumbup:

Jeff

well he works at the Zone so he can get you the number of anything they carry.