Reliable Z?

RadioRedline

Hello Zed Heads.

I have started a new job as a a territory manager recently. I need to buy a vehicle and have been leaning pathfinder (D21 or D22)

But Maybe now i'm thinking Z?

For Datsuns I have 2 620s, a 521, and a 520 sitting on top of a 95 pathfinder 4x4.

I am very familiar with the L engine and what it can do on the highway and how it runs, gearing at high speeds, starting in winter etc.

I have been seeing that many Zs around here are in my vehicle buying budget heading into winter. (3000$)

I have driven RWD in winter before and I am fine with it. Its 99% around town for me. Good snow and ice tires and weight in back is no problem.

My questions are to those who daily drive their Z (240/260/280)

1. What is the highway gearing like?

2. Is the mechanical fuel injection finicky or not?

3. What are common issues with these motors?

I think it could be a sexy sales vehicle!

Thanx

Radio

ghsa.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The fuel injection is electronic, although a primitive management system. My 280ZXs were very reliable. As long as you get a stock Z that nobody has hacked up the fuel management on. Keep spare injectors and AFM (used) and you should be good. Clean connections and run extra grounds to help out.

I would never get rid of it and go to carbs if you run into serious issues. Rather, go forward and put on 300ZX fuel management for more modern fuel injection. (1984-89)

With a 5-speed you can expect 26-28mpg ON the highway at about 60-65mph. 17-19 around town so I generally people average 20-22. I drove my cars somewhat easy so I was generally in the 21-22 range with minimal time on the highway. On long road trips I was getting 27mph average over the whole trip.

Some came with a 4-speed. Factory fuel injection will be 1975+

Oh, and I also drove the cars in snow. We have a lot of hills in western Washington. Did ok with street tires but then I put four studded snow tires on and that thing rocked! I'm not sure if your snow is the same here. Sometimes colder climates have more dry snow that is not a slick. We get ice with slush on top which is really bad on any incline.

Be realistic and sensible, buy the Pathfinder. You'll get a better engine, better parts availability, a *way* better efi system, climate control that actually does something, and the ability to haul stuff around. Don't get me wrong, I love my Datsuns, but for a daily driver it's a no-brainer to go with the Pathfinder. The efi systems in the earlier Z's are NOTORIOUS for being extremely sensitive and finicky, not so with the VG30 stuff. You can remove all kinds of stuff and they'll still run. Plus, you'll be kicking yourself the first time you get stuck in the snow.

Get both. I've had Zs and they're fun. I don't think ANYONE can make an honest argument that a Pathfinder isn't going to be better in the winter though. They both serve their purpose very well. But a Pathfinder will never handle like a Z and a Z will never do as well in the snow/ice than a 4X4 Pathfinder.

• 4 weeks later...

OK! I have found what may be the perfect Z. Now seller tells me that "The one cylinder has weak to no compression just recently so it's been in the garage"

Haven't bought it yet, going to look at it tonite. What does this mean, the motor is all bad? If thats the issue...what repair is required?

Radio

This is it:

orangez1.jpg

orangez2.jpg

orangez3.jpg

orangez4.jpg

orangez5.jpg

orangez6.jpg

orangez7.jpg

orangez8.jpg

Radio ,

Z cars are fun ,,, L-series so same issues as any L-series ;) ,,, If need be go to pertronix ,,,

Freeway in a good HONEST tuned carb will get around 22-ish-mpgs ( being easy ) ,,, with premium ,,,

around town I expect around 16-17-mpgs ,,, very short distances and idling a bit ,,,

I don't like to drive mine in heavy rain ,,, but I do anyways :lol: ,,, make sure you get GOOD TIRES , and Good Struts/Bushings in her bro !

With 3.54 R-200 Differential + Later ZX 5spd + p195/60/R14 = 3,000 rpms is about 60-ish mph ( you convert )

Gearing is VERY good for freeway ,,, from factory ! with 4spd's or updated correct gearing 5spd's ,.. I prefer 3.54 Rear Diff for cruising ,,,

These Z's handle like a dream when in good condition/setup correctly ,,,

Cons

Fuseboxes are shit ( like any of our datsuns :lol: ) replace with MSA for $160US ,,, or clean out and re-solder :cool: ( I have done both ,,, currently run MSA Box ZERO issues ,,, very happy !!!)

Make sure all electrical is working good !!!

Change your fuel filters

Worn SU carbs will need good attention !,, but still reliable amazingly !!! :cool:

These can be hard to see out of ,,, tall or short peeps ,,,

Rust in Floorboards , Rocker Panels , Rear Wheel Wells , and Possible windshield/cowling leak ,,, but meh ! lol

Depending on color and ride height ,,, people can't see you as well ! ( mine is yellow/lowered lots of people can't see me on freeway speedlimit or not ! )

blah blah blah ,,, I like that orange one ,,, :D

Some owners are clueless about their cars. It could be a bad wire and the cylinder not firing and making a pfffft sound out the exhaust. Valve could be over tight... could be almost anything.

Squirt some oil (several tablespoons full) in the bad cylinder, if the compression comes up the rings are bad.

If it stays the same, a valve could be tight, (out of adjustment) a valve could be bent or burnt and the head has to come off or it's simply a blown head gasket and the head has to come off. Head removal can be done in car. These are best case scenarios.

Could be the HG...flash it up and see what happens.

I had low compression on 1 cylinder (L28) and it was blowing out the side of the HG....could hear it, so it was a given.

Take your compressor with you and fill that cylinder at TDC with air (90lb with proper fitting of course), it will 'tell' you where the leak is coming from.

in any case, once the compression issue is fixed youll have a blast. my efi works fine and the car is extremely reliable, and i havnt done anything to it maintenance wise besides the usual. and i havnt heard of any problems with the efi, its a super simple system with not many things that can even go wrong. mine only has 25,000 miles so maybe i just am yet to experience these problems but it seems reliable enough.