WTB 5 Speed Conversion Parts

Neeeeed a clutch fork, TB, slave cylinder, and Speedo plug -n- gear for retrofitting my late 70's 5 speed into my '71 521

Or if you know what other parts will fit/work feel free to chime in~!

I know D-Mike said the stock 521 4-speed fork WONT fit.....

Any other pearls of wisdom greatly appreciated

Peace~

Scott

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Neeeeed a clutch fork, TB, slave cylinder, and Speedo plug -n- gear for retrofitting my late 70's 5 speed into my '71 521

Peace~

Scott

I beleave you need the clutch fork and slave cylinder off/for the tranny you have bought for the conversion, but the TB and collar it fits on needs to be from whatever flywheel/disc/clutch cover you are using. I could be wrong, but it would seem that if you are using a L16 engine/flywheel/disc/clutch cover, you will also need the L16 TB/collar. Is my conclusion correct datzenmike?

Peace~

Scott

Late '70s 5 speed? you talking about a dogleg or a long tail B type?

Keep your release bearing collar but use the clutch arm that comes with the 5 speed or get one.

Late '70s 5 speed? you talking about a dogleg or a long tail B type?

Keep your release bearing collar but use the clutch arm that comes with the 5 speed or get one.

It's the rebuilt 77-79 truck/Z trans I had for sale~ non-dogleg. It was a freight claim from the tranny shop that came with no supporting hardware (fork, TOB, speedo drive, etc). Just missed a TOB on ebay that had a 521 collar~ gonna E the dude and see what happens from there. An Exedy stage 1 (stock) is en route. Should I seek a clutch slave for the trans or 521 application? I can't build a fork~ but modding one's no issue.

Now~ about that speedo adapter/driven gear...?

DSC00005.jpg

Remember now. You need a 200mm collar for the bearing. '77-'79 200sx collar should work if you can find or buy one. For a fork any 4 or 5 spd for truck or 280z/zx will do.

Stock Slave cyl~ or one that matches the trans application?

Also~ what are the exact sizes of flywheel & clutch hat bolts? I want to have new heavy duty hardware ready at installation time...

And D-Mike~ got any speedo gear parts lyin around you're tripping over...? ;)

Stock Slave cyl~ or one that matches the trans application?

Also~ what are the exact sizes of flywheel & clutch hat bolts? I want to have new heavy duty hardware ready at installation time...

And D-Mike~ got any speedo gear parts lyin around you're tripping over...? ;)

Get a slave cylinder for a truck.

The car's slave points down...right into the torsion bars.

the truck's slave points forward.

It's the rebuilt 77-79 truck/Z trans

Now~ about that speedo adapter/driven gear...?

DSC00005.jpg

If it's for a 521 get the speedo pinion from any standard transmission 4 or 5 speed from a '74-'78 620... should have one in it. A '79 is no good. It should have a 20 tooth cog on it. A twenty tooth pinion is matched for use with a 4.375 rear end... same as on your 521. The cog should be RED in color.

The assembly complete is 32707 66300 at dealer, about $20. (be sure t check) Automatics are different.

If it's for a 521 get the speedo pinion from any standard transmission 4 or 5 speed from a '74-'78 620... should have one in it. A '79 is no good. It should have a 20 tooth cog on it. A twenty tooth pinion is matched for use with a 4.375 rear end... same as on your 521. The cog should be RED in color.

The assembly complete is 32707 66300 at dealer, about $20. (be sure t check) Automatics are different.

Will the drive gear inside the tailshaft be the same regardless of driven gear (cog in Canuckese)??

I'll be doing the drivetrain conversion/upgrades in stages: for now it'll retain the stock 4.37's, stage 2 will sport 3.73's, and the final "answer" will likely be 4.56's....

So knowing available speedo gear ratio/combos would be great info!

Will the drive gear inside the tailshaft be the same regardless of driven gear (cog in Canuckese)??

The little drive worm gear on the tailshaft are the same for the 620 or Z car trannys. Early ones are metall, later are plastic. The 521 4 speed may have the gear cut into the mainshaft instead of a gear that can be removed. The pinions and cogs are different between the 521 4 speed and the later 620/z car so maybe the drive gears are too. I don't know.

5speedfor710goon027Large.jpg

The little drive worm gear on the tailshaft are the same for the 620 or Z car trannys. Early ones are metall, later are plastic. The 521 4 speed may have the gear cut into the mainshaft instead of a gear that can be removed. The pinions and cogs are different between the 521 4 speed and the later 620/z car so maybe the drive gears are too. I don't know.

The one in my 5 speed's metal....

My '79 zx was metal. I swapped an '85? ish 720 diesel tailstock on it to get my better short shift lever to fit. I think they are the same but chickened out and wasn't brave enough to find out, so I swapped the plastic one from the diesel tranny onto the '79. Canby was fast approaching and I didn't want any fuck ups happening.

5speedfor710goon026Large.jpg

My '79 zx was metal. I swapped an '85? ish 720 diesel tailstock on it to get my better short shift lever to fit. I think they are the same but chickened out and wasn't brave enough to find out, so I swapped the plastic one from the diesel tranny onto the '79. Canby was fast approaching and I didn't want any fuck ups happening.

So might you have a breakdown of gear colors/ratios/toothcounts/etc.? If I can get it close that's still better than no speedo at all....

Yes, I'll post when I get home. There are many tire sizes and rear end options so about 7 different gears, each giving about a 5-6% change. The lowest is under 5% and the highest over 6% but you can get within 3% usual;;y which is 1.5 MPH/KPH at 50 MPH. Close enough.

Speedo pinion cog color codes/number of teeth for the F4W71b and FS5W71B transmissions.

Yellow ... 16 tooth

Black ..... 17 tooth.... 6.25%

Blue ....... 18 tooth ... 5.88%

White ..... 19 tooth.... 5.55%

Red ........ 20 tooth.... 5.26%

Purple ... 21 tooth.... 5.00%

If you were using a Blue 18 tooth cog and your speedo was say, reading 57MPH but you were really going 60MPH then the speedo is going to fast by 5.26% and needs to spin slower. To spin slower you need more teeth on the drive cog. On the chart trading a White 19 tooth cog would reduce the speed by 5.55%.... close, nothing's perfect.

There is a 22 tooth gear but I don't know the color.

Speedo pinion cog color codes/number of teeth for the F4W71b and FS5W71B transmissions.

Yellow ... 16 tooth

Black ..... 17 tooth.... 6.25%

Blue ....... 18 tooth ... 5.88%

White ..... 19 tooth.... 5.55%

Red ........ 20 tooth.... 5.26%

Purple ... 21 tooth.... 5.00%

If you were using a Blue 18 tooth cog and your speedo was say, reading 57MPH but you were really going 60MPH then the speedo is going to fast by 5.26% and needs to spin slower. To spin slower you need more teeth on the drive cog. On the chart trading a White 19 tooth cog would reduce the speed by 5.55%.... close, nothing's perfect.

There is a 22 tooth gear but I don't know the color.

Thanks, Mike. If I happen on to a 22 I'll be sure to pass along it's place in the cog rainbow~ although all that's left is green, orange, gray, and- heaven forbid- pink

Does it have the electronic speed sensor with wires to it or cable? If cable take it out and count the teeth and let me know. You have to know what you have in order to move up or down in teeth number.

BTW 6% out would be 6 MPH at 100MPH As you are at about half that speed you are almost twice that amount. I get 11.11%.

11% of 54MPH would be 5.9999 MPH. 54 plus 5.99 = 59.999MPH.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.