I REALLY don't like mini vans....

Well, first accident in 15 years. Guy cut across 3 lanes of traffic to get into a side street and caught me right in the rear corner of the wagon. Nice, guy, new driver though. He didn't see me coming he claims, but, admitted to being at fault right away. I've already been to the insurance company for the claim and they didn't write the thing off as I feared, but, they've only allowed me $1000 to fix this. Guess I'll be paying out some too. My girls where both with me and I got lucky I didn't spin the car out over the curb when he tagged me.

The damage:

Accident_1.jpg

Another shot:

Accident_2.jpg

The Perp:

Accident_3.jpg

He didn't get dinged too bad, but, he was driving his wife's new mini van. I didn't have the heart to give him hell, his wife is going to do it for me :D! Guess he isn't getting any for awhile :P!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I figure the way to go about this is to go to a shop that deals with the insurance company, get them to do the assessment and let them argue with the insurance company. If I pick a good shop, they do this on behalf of their customers. Only problem that I see is finding a good shop that'll work on these old guys and does metal repair. I'm phoning a couple of places that some friends have recommended today and we shall see!

I'm actually considering a cheap respray after the dent is pulled and the repairs are done. It means that I'll have to prep the car and fix some of the rust around the dogs and drivers side wheel well though. I guess I have to put the 4 door back on the road meantime while I do that though.....

a true ratsun has dents this means its a REALLY good ratsun:lol:. This just pisses me off.....same thing happened to me in my 240Z, except I was rear ended and the insurance company gave me nothing to fix it. I thought thats why I pay you thousands of dollars in my lifetime???

I hope you get it fixed for cheap though. I would try a small shop. I guess its a reason for a new paint job.

a true ratsun has dents this means its a REALLY good ratsun:lol:. This just pisses me off.....same thing happened to me in my 240Z, except I was rear ended and the insurance company gave me nothing to fix it. I thought thats why I pay you thousands of dollars in my lifetime???

They don't give a crap about your 'pos', your money goes to fix someone's $63,295 Be-mer. (for the third time this year) If I ran the world, people who can afford $50,000 plus cars could damn well pay to fix them. People that habitually have accidents would pay more and more and more until they were run off the roads. Maybe they could post a $30,000 bond to cover any 'problems' in order to drive. If not...Screw 'em.

Hey Dave, don't be messin' with our beer :)! I'm with Mike though, I don't pay much less for insurance than the beemer and benz dudes, but, because I like to drive an old Datsun, I'm to be penalized for it if it comes to value in circumstances such as this. The new drivers like the dude that nailed me on the weekend, well, he's just should pay more specially if he gets in accidents like this.

If you ask me it should be true value. Price of parts and labor. Can you even get a NEW rear bumper for a goon?

If value is relative. You can get Beamer panels all day long....

When my truck is finished it will be worth way more (to me) than my G. Insurance company? Not so much... :mad:

Okay, eh?

Did you know that in Japan NEW CARS are cheaper to license than old cars. Complete opposite of here in the states. So a new 2008 Honda douchebagger might cost you 40 yen and our beloved 69 510 might cost you 500 yen.

The point is to try to get the cleaner burning new cars in place of the older cars...great for mechanics, but fuck, new cars are impossible to work on.

I pulled my engine by myself a couple weekends ago. If it were a new car I couldn't even begin to start the job.

Well, I have to run my car through smog every year, unlike the benz dude who does it every 2. They sure don't want our old POS on the roads anymore that's for sure. I only know of 4 '69 goons up here these days, there might be more, but, still, it's a pretty small number. I'm gonna run a datsun just because I like to and if they don't like it then :fu:!

On a more cheerful note, the body shop I took the goon too is excellent. Owner is redoing a '69 4 door 510 in between real work for himself and he understands us Datsun nuts! He's done his prelimary estimate for repairs and guess what, it doesn't match the insurance companies, so he's going to get on the phone to go argue with them now! Awesome service and luck here!

Jason! Sucks again about that accident, but it was nice meeting you.

I was going to ask about the shop... There aren't very many shops around here I'd trust, and I know that one was probably somewhat out-of-the-way for you. Did you get the rest of the panels prepared for paint as well?

I had a Civic a while back that I loved (still miss that car). Got hit by a truck while it was in a back alley. I wanted to keep it, but the company wrote it off. Fortunately they gave me more than what I'd originally paid for it. I'm not taking any chances with my Datsun though... I'm going to document everything and get a proper appraisal for it when I go to insure it.

Hi Fil, it was nice meeting you also. That shop came highly recommended by several folks I trust from the Realm including the bodyman at the place I would take it to if I didn't have an insurance claim (Big Time out a Pitt Meadows). Trevor (the owner) is a old 510 fan also and his personal project is a 69 4 door which he is working on in between his business stuff. He's always busy so it's hard to get in, but, he's gonna do her for me. At this point I don't have the time or money to prep the rest of the car for paint so it'll be a repair on the "Shark Bite" (I like that one Jeff :D) for now.