Need a two piece driveline for 71 521

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So my little sister finally shows up here.

Welcome to the mix.

I wish I was closer so I could help you out.

Extra information probably needed.

I know your truck is beyond stock.

I know there are a ton of people who know this truck well.

It was purchased from Joey in Battleground.

(I'll see if we can get a pic up in a bit.)

Anyways, I know this truck has a 5 speed, but not sure which one.

Nor, what mods were done to driveline by previous owner.

Any Ratsunners in PDX available to give a hand to my sister?

Hell, just look at the thing so we now what we need to do.

Thanx ya'll.

flatcat19

which is your sister? bulliet or lawty

They both are the same person.

I have no clue why she has 2 profiles.

I'm still waiting to get to my computer to load a pic...

but to the Portland folk, this is the light blue 521 that parks near The Bagdad on Hawthorne in the evenings. Rising sun hood and aftermarket wheels.

OldRice.jpg

This is it.

Took me long enough.

So with talking to her, and digging as much info as I could out-I believe the U-joint at the diff pinion went out.

I can't confirm this.

With needing to replace U-joint, she will need those retaining brackets and bolts that hold the U-joints in the yoke.

Once again, I can not confirm this.

We live 250 miles away, and I have received no pics of what's broke.

If someone in PDX has the day off tomorrow, maybe you can go meet her?

Argh!

:P

would a 2 piece out of a 620 work? its the shorter one(my truck had a longshaft 5speed in it)

if so, $40 work??

I do not think the 620's driveline will work.

The 620 had a longer wheelbase.

Even the regular cab short bed, I think is a 2 1/2" difference from a 521.

Maybe someone else can confirm?

Mine is a standard cab short bed.. i could measure the driveline tomorrow.

Measure up the rear section of the driveline.

Like I said, I think they're different.

But hey, we'll see.

Do you have the bolts/carrier straps that go to the rear u-joint also?

For some reason I believe she needs a carrier too.

Anyone that knows whether this will work or not, please pipe in.

OldRice.jpg

If someone in PDX has the day off tomorrow, maybe you can go meet her?

Argh!

uhmmm we are talking about ratsuners, and I think they can be gathered into 2 groups gear heads and womanizers ussually both (or atleast that is the facade), do you really want a male ratsuner to meet your little sister? maybe a female ratsuner might be a better choice to go.

uhmmm we are talking about ratsuners, and I think they can be gathered into 2 groups gear heads and womanizers ussually both (or atleast that is the facade), do you really want a male ratsuner to meet your little sister? maybe a female ratsuner might be a better choice to go.

Hahahaha...

If you only knew.

I have no problem with a male Ratsunner going to meet up with my sister.

It's the female members that I'll warn.

All that i can say is that my sister is one cool-ass person.

I never had a good relationship growing up with her.

But I cherish that we have a better one now.

If I was closer, I'd have been there already.

She is a good person to know; and a blast to hang out with.

I love ya, sis.

Anyone in PDX/Vancouver willing/able to help a sister out?

I couldn't do anything till after work tomarrow, will probably take till 6pm or later to finish the job. To bad I didn't see this much earlier, wasn't doing much then except burning my fingers, can do that anytime. :lol: PM me if it isn't taken care of by 6pm tomarrow, what area of portland does she live?

I couldn't do anything till after work tomarrow, will probably take till 6pm or later to finish the job. To bad I didn't see this much earlier, wasn't doing much then except burning my fingers, can do that anytime. :lol: PM me if it isn't taken care of by 6pm tomarrow, what area of portland does she live?

She lives in NE. Works in SE.

I'll text her now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sis-

PM Wayno.

If just the U joint 'exploded' then a new one will fix this. If the yoke on the driveshaft end is damaged from wear (or falling out) then at least that part of the driveshaft will need replacing also. The 521 driveshaft is solidly mounted to the tranny on the front and has a slip joint on the rear in front of the differential. The 620 is vastly different in length and is splined into the transmission on the front driveshaft and has a solid rear driveshaft.

I do not think the 620's driveline will work.

The 620 had a longer wheelbase.

Even the regular cab short bed, I think is a 2 1/2" difference from a 521.

Maybe someone else can confirm?

I used part of a 620 driveline when I swapped to the long tail 5 speed in my 521. I can't remember witch half I used though.

AND WAYNO SAVES THE DAY!!!

I have no idea what he did to my sister's truck, but it is fixed.

Just got a text from sister:

"Wayno saves the day! He is so cool and totally fixed my car! Thanks bro."

Next message:

"He brought over the part to my driveline that was broken a replaced it with an old spare that he had and installed it."

But really...

Thanks Wayno.

You made her day.

I totally appreciate it!

One of the things that makes Ratsun so great.

I love this place!

I called when I finally finished my job hoping that someone else had looked into this issue, but no one had.:( So I threw in the back of the kingcab 521 a two piece driveline which I had no idea what it was out of, on my way over I was worry'n about "what if I can't fix it", when I got there, I looked under the truck, no driveline, then I looked in the box and seen the best thing i could hope for, the exact part I brought, I couldn't beleave it. The truck was low, really low, good thing I brought 2 jack stands, came apart and went back together with no issues and she took it for a short drive. I told her that it could last two days or two years, at least I told someone there that, the u-joint on the replacement driveline had no zerk fittings. In the near future I would think about new u-joints all around. When I got home I looked in the mirror, I looked like freaking PIGPEN, how embarrassing, i hope I didn't show up looking like that. :lol: I have said before that our datsuns talk to us, and we need to pay attention. It was nice to meet you and your friend Stephanie, and I am really happy this thing worked out so well.

DSCN0917.jpg

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.