Safari style cargo roof rack - NOW with Cowl!

DRIVEN

I've been looking for roof rack options for a while. The Yakima and Thule baskets are pretty pricey and so are the towers and bars for that matter. I ran across these universal cast aluminum stands on CL and picked them up for $40. I really like the idea of a platform for a DIY or custom rack. Since I'm not really into biking, snowboarding or kayaking, I went the basket route. These stands make it pretty easy to create whatever you want. Here's a link with more info and specs.

http://www.nrsweb.co...00&pdeptid=1379

001-49.jpg

Tools used:

-tape measure

-band saw

-grinder

-welder

-drill, bits, holesaw

-circular saw

-sander

-vice

-hammer

Since I had some plywood and steel hanging around, I was only into the whole shebang around $60.

Starting with the towers, I played with placement and took some base measurements. I settled on a 40"X48"X4" overall dimension.

002-38.jpg

I grabbed 2 sticks of 1" square tubing and started cutting and welding.

005-18.jpg

A couple quick coats of hammered finish paint. The color is pretty close to the wheels.

007-10.jpg

Phase two started out as a half-sheet of 3/4" plywood. This particular piece has been leaning in the corner of the shop for 8 years and is a furniture grade cherry finish. FANCY! I beveled all the edges and put a 45* edge on the front. To add some interest and give some hook points for bungees or rope, I put 12 2" holes in it. Then I sanded it up nice and purdy.

006-17.jpg

008-11.jpg

Three coats of spar varnish:

009-10.jpg

All assembled and on the car...

012-5.jpg

011-3.jpg

I designed it so I could add a cowling to the front but haven't decided on the "right" look yet. There was an old beat up 620 tailgate floating around here but I can't find it now. I was thinking of cutting the D A T S U N out of the center and using that. Maybe some wood slats. Maybe just s sheet of aluminum. I don't know. I'll update the post when I settle on something.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 3
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...

Finally got around to putting a cowl/deflector on the rack. Jayden (thanks, man :thumbup: ) donated a rusty old 521 tailgate that was in a huge pile of parts I sold him a couple years ago. It was originally on the BACWOODS DAVE 521 and was extremely rough so it's really not a loss to the Datsun world. I cut the tailgate up and trimmed around the letters. Then I pop-rivetted them to a strip of sheet metal which was rivetted to the rack's frame. Thanks to the magna-mask letters I didn't have to do any masking. The flash makes the black paint look glossier than it really is. I'll put up another pic or two once the rain stops and I put the rack back on the car for the summer. Let me know what you guys think.

002-50.jpg

004-33.jpg

003-42.jpg

• Like 2

Shit man,, I've been on Ratsun for a while! But, this is the first time I've seen this write up! Awesome work man!

Thanks.

Sick, where did you find the Datsun lettering?

If you're asking about the Magna Mask letters, they belong to my brother. He found them when they were cleaning out a storage room at his shop. He used them on his 520 and 521 builds. Post #56 of this link kinda shows how they work. http://community.ratsun.net/topic/10425-backwoods-tribute-72-521/page__hl__%20backwoods%20%20521__st__40

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't think you can get them new anymore. They are plastic and magnetic. You paint over the letters with the color of your choice and let it dry. Put the magnetic letters over the raised letters on your tailgate. Then paint the tailgate body color. Remove magnetic letters and clear coat the entire tailgate. They can be reused over and over.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...