ebrake swap

Leach

i couldnt find any information on this but i want to install an e-brake on the tunnel rather than under the dash.

has anyone done this swap.

i would rather have a cable e brake that locks rather than say a hydraulic "drift" e brake.

if anyone has any ideas about where i could get an ebrake at the junkyard or if there is an actual kit that does the above stated.

another idea is leaving the original while in use and also have a "drift" hydraulic ebrake hooked up aswell either a kit or diy using a mastercylinder and running lines.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I too want this, but its pretty easy to do. Just have get one... I have seen people use a saturn sc1 center console and then they also used the ebrake from that to go with the console.

Basically, shorten the cable and make a couple of brackets to re-route to the tunnel to keep it away from the drive shaft.

I much prefer the center pull ebrake from my Jetta over the dash pull one in the Datsun.

I did a tunnel mount brake. Used a sentra lever from pick n pull. Bought some 1/4 inch stainless cable from the hardware store, bolted it down, ran the cable back to the stock location, crimped some ends on and botta-bing working hand brake.

Suggestions: a guy I know used a z car ebrake. That's a better fit I think because it's slanted/ angled and this helps when running the cable so it misses the driveshaft. That's the buggers hurdle. Be caref of the brake line under the tunnel when cutting your slot

Also, eliminate the leverage reducer toward the rear of the car that the stock cable attaches to and attach it directly. I haven't done this yet and my brake pull is very mushy cause it has to pull so far. I will be eliminating that piece in the future.

Hope this helps. Sorry if there's any spelling errors, typing this from my iPhone.

610 sedans (IRS) use center pull with e brake cables doing diagonally over to the brake drum. Since the 610 uses an almost identical IRS as the 510 this would likely be the closest (and period correct lol)

610 goons, all 710s, S10 and S110 200sx have center pull e brake but the cable goes back behind the differential to a linkage that pull the e brake levers towards the center of the vehicle.

If your lever is mushy adjust the brakes. The further the shoes have to travel to contact the drum the further the lever will lift up.