Compression Numbers

WAGON JON

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The numbers don't mean much, except relative to each other. There is only 10 psi difference, or less than 10% variance. That is excellent.

L-23 is a stroker motor. Probably an L20B with larger pistons and crankshaft from an Z-series motor.

LZ is a Nissan works race motor:

temp-3.jpg

The numbers don't mean much, except relative to each other. There is only 10 psi difference, or less than 10% variance. That is excellent.

L-23 is a stroker motor. Probably an L20B with larger pistons and crankshaft from an Z-series motor.

LZ is a Nissan works race motor:

temp-3.jpg

Ya...I think you're right, bored L20B.

Thought it was a typo error.....L(Z)23...as in Z block/L head

After about 13 years of driving my L-23 motor the comp is at...

#1: 230

#2: 220

#3: 225

#4: 220

So, guess what's the HP and TQ?...

HP: 120-125 at the crank, just over 100 at the rear wheels. Assuming a stock L cam and head.

2.3 liter ... 8.5:1 or 10:1 HP would only be 5 hp different. Except if you have high compression (implied by the compression readings, but not guaranteed) you probably have fitted a custom camshaft and that would make a larger difference... except that in 13 years of driving the compression is still good, which means you haven't been constantly revving it up. So probably makes peak HP at less than the stocker 6000 RPM. But most stroker motors are built up with hi-lift cam, good carburetion etc.

My guess: 140 HP and 160 ft. lb. torque at the rear wheels.

The head is the infamous U67 with Z valves and port matched intake. Erson cam. The block is the O6W Napz 2.2 with the Napz 2.0 6 inch rods with forged pistons, o-ringed, stock balanced 2.2 crank, stock lightened 15 pound 6 bolt 200mm flywheel with the early L-16 header, and 2 1/4 exhaust with 2 1/2 Summit turbo muffler.

ggzilla is getting close.

U67 is a square port exhaust head, as used on 1977 Canadian 200SX.

The stock Nissan L23 made 123HP in 1968. A modded L20B can beat that.

The stock KA24E (3-valve head) makes 142HP without any mods ... a worked L-head can match that but I'd think you'd have to rev it up to 7k to make more power???

This is Byrons LZ 2.2 with unknown 'hot' cam and twin sidedrafts... or maybe his later EFI (they were only a few HP different. He says he isn't comfortable taking it above 6,500 with this cam. So this what a 2,2 with good carbs and some cam can do.

DynoRun2007ByronsLZ22.jpg

Whats your compression ratio? Is that on race fuel? Anyway nice! Do you think you can get more out of it with 44?

The comp ratio is 10:1 or 10.5:1 or so. Can't remember exactly.

This is on California's 91 octane...if it were 93 like in Ohio it would be a lot less prone to ditinate...ping!

With 44's I got one more HP and 27 less foot pounds of torque! The 40's I was running were modified just as everything else I run.

Bigger isn't always better.

wow that's better than a KA24E, or even a KA24DE on the torque side. Good work. And looks like an L too. Got any pics?

One of the other guys dynoing their car had a built KA24DE with cams and his HP and TQ was 165/165. So a good L-series is nothing frown upon because it is 60's technology.

wow that's better than a KA24E, or even a KA24DE on the torque side. Good work. And looks like an L too. Got any pics?

I'll see If I can dig up some pics...

Here is a link to the dyno day...under the picture are other ones of the car on the roller. Troy was doing the dynoing...

http://www.510garage.com/photos/displayimage.php?album=286&pos=229

Here is a pic of my engine at the time, nothing special and very unassuming.

http://www.510garage.com/photos/displayimage.php?album=286&pos=47