Mystery (to me) Springs

Ron1200

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe the lateral leaf is to stiffen it up?? really don't know about this one...

i don't see the point of twin sway bars- seems like they would bind? just get one thick one right?

This would work if you have two stock springs and room, and can't afford one good large diameter one but there's the risk of squeaks and ridicule for the gay color..

Yah... Look closely and you will see the lateral spring under the front cross member. Not the purple sway bars. Can't tell if the stock springs have been removed and this is the only spring.

I think this 'lateral spring' arrangement is similar to a rear fiberglass spring on a Corvette.

That is a proper spring -- a transverse leaf.

One of the the benefits of this type spring is there is an intrinsic anti-roll function built it. It is a supplement to the coilovers and purple anti-swaybars.

20110814111729DSC00819.jpg

Speaking of the anti-swaybars, I saw three cars at Blue Lake with doubled bars. It is an inexpensive way to double the rate, basically costing nothing if you have a spare bar and do the fabrication yourself.

20110814125524DSC00954.jpg

There is no binding because like the stock single bar, the 2nd bar is also placed in bushings.

20110814125433DSC00953.jpg

I'd have to pull out my suspension books to double check but didn't mounting the anti sway bar further away from the control arms decrease the effective stiffness? I know the length of the bend has a direct effect, just trying to get an idea of how stuff those front ends are since I'm thinking it can't be double the rate, especially on that under rider set up.

The best way to get the truth about all the questions on the front suspention is............ ask the 1200GUY who built it.

The first thing you need to know, is the orange 1200 along with the other cars with twin sway bars at blue lake are set up and USED for autocross.

I first used twin bars on a 1200 i built in 1981 ( when i was your age and money was tight ) and it worked so well why reinvent?

for the transverse leaf, yes it augments the stock springs on the 1200 struts. The corolla TRD struts are on my other 1200 gray/black.

by changing the length of the center block between the spring and the crossmember you can change the spring tension.

So you guys can keep speculating, or ask and know

• Like 1

Did not know this was ur car 1200Guy... So spill the beans... Re-posting the original questions...

"So how does this spring work? If it's a great idea, why aren't more people using it? Seems simple in application. Benefits?"

most people do not use this setup for one or more of several reasons. 1 they have never seen it, so they don't know it exist. 2 they may not like their car as stiff in the front as I do. 3 They may be afraid to make homemade or non engineered mods to their car. all my modifications are preformed by Accidental Engineering Inc.

As far as How the leaf spring works ... The transverse leaf, is actually the longest leaf from the rear of a 1200. The ends have been cut off, a 1/2 hole centered near each end is drilled, to allow for a 1/2 bolt , also you have to drill 1/2 holes in your lower control arms. Flip the leaf upside down, and use bushings on the ends and for the center a block of polly..... plastic,which is held in place by the spring pressing it against the crossmember. The longer the block the more resistance to bend the spring BACKWARDS. The longer the block, the shorter each end of the spring becomes, and therefor stiffer. When the front of the car, (one side in hard turns, and both sides when breaking) wants to dip, the added resistance of this spring adds greatly in reducing front dip, and therefor also reducing rear tire lift which is undesirable when autocrossing.

most people do not use this setup for one or more of several reasons. 1 they have never seen it, so they don't know it exist. 2 they may not like their car as stiff in the front as I do. 3 They may be afraid to make homemade or non engineered mods to their car. all my modifications are preformed by Accidental Engineering Inc.

As far as How the leaf spring works ... The transverse leaf, is actually the longest leaf from the rear of a 1200. The ends have been cut off, a 1/2 hole centered near each end is drilled, to allow for a 1/2 bolt , also you have to drill 1/2 holes in your lower control arms. Flip the leaf upside down, and use bushings on the ends and for the center a block of polly..... plastic,which is held in place by the spring pressing it against the crossmember. The longer the block the more resistance to bend the spring BACKWARDS. The longer the block, the shorter each end of the spring becomes, and therefor stiffer. When the front of the car, (one side in hard turns, and both sides when breaking) wants to dip, the added resistance of this spring adds greatly in reducing front dip, and therefor also reducing rear tire lift which is undesirable when autocrossing.