610 street demon resurection

bonvo

no real changes just road testing at the moment i drove her down to monteray where im currantly visiting my girlfriend (2.5 hour drive) been driving around here and parts hunting while shes in class once i get home im gonna put some finishing touches in the engin compartment then the final stripdown of shelly begins once thats done the body work begins

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well its been a while since i updated but i have still been working on the 610 only not the new one ive been stripping shelly so i can sell the shell though i have been working on this when i get bored i got it from dat521kid and it wasent this nice when i got it look closly you can see the shine starting to show

DSC04429.jpg

this is how shelly sits now

DSC04430.jpg

DSC04431.jpg

almost ready to send away

thanks lynch my project for tomorrow is to clean up the wiring a little then i get to take the radiator out to do a timming chain oh fun :mad: i can hear it along the guides its about time i did it though this motor has never been opened up in its whole 145,7xx miles of life its time its gonna get a head gasket timing kit front cover reseal valve adjust the whole 9

thanks lynch my project for tomorrow is to clean up the wiring a little then i get to take the radiator out to do a timming chain oh fun :mad: i can hear it along the guides its about time i did it though this motor has never been opened up in its whole 145,7xx miles of life its time its gonna get a head gasket timing kit front cover reseal valve adjust the whole 9

better to doit before it NEEDS it done thats for sure

lol and its no where near done i started by scrubing it with dawn dishwashing detergent then i took it to napa and had it sand blasted then i used a rolock scrubby pad to smooth it then a wire wheel to get rid of the swirl marks then some fine emery cloth then some 700 grit now im polishing

i did sojme more work to the car today i was tired of the wiring just kindof hanging in the engine compartment it was how it was run from the factory but it looked tacky so i tucked everything away and made it look cleaner

before

DSC04436.jpg

after

DSC04441.jpg

DSC04442.jpg

Hey I'm a new user, great car man, its a very nice Datsun you got there, i love how you've just wont quit after your other Datsun 610 got damaged, i have a 1977 datsun 710 violet 160 j, I've started saving money to restore it, last week i replaced the rear suspension with a Tokico 2525. I'm just wondering, on one of your videos you've showed that you sat on the car and jumped on it and it was very still, how can i do that to my car, do i need to change the springs ( it still has the originals on ) or front suspension or something like that.

Thanks man.......

no no no thats bad what was happening there was the strut insert was bent so it wasent allowing the suspention to move if you want it that stiff you would need some springs with insain spring rates

well excuse my ignorance, I don't know as much about cars, its that my car suspension is very bad even straight roads feels so bumpy, after changing the rear suspension I didn't feel any big difference, on the rear I don't have normal springs, I have those truck like leaf springs. so what do you think is better? to have ones like yours ( normal springs on the back cause some cars like mine came with normal springs ), or get new leaf springs.

IMG_1012.JPG

Edited by datzenmike

Generally I find coils a bit smoother than leaf springs. Coil spring IRS require lateral and longitudinal support and are more complicated but give slightly better road handling than leaf spring suspension. Leaf springs are simpler and by design provide their own lateral and front/back positioning. Both have advantages/disadvantages.

To stiffen the ride on leaf spring rear ends suspensions a shorter bottom leaf can be removed and a longer or thicker one added. Care must be exercised that the extra leaf isn't excessively arched and raises the ride height. In fact handling can be improved by lowering the body slightly. To prevent body roll on hard cornering a sway bar can be added. A sway bar does not in any way affect the ride stiffness or height.