Should I buy a 510 without a title?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It can be done but is a little time consuming. Each state is different as far as title laws. If he bought it without a title you should check with state patrol to see if its stolen. then see if DMV will give you the PO's name and contact info, if you find him have him sign a release of interest form and BAM, get a title. OR up here in Washington if you get a bill of sale from they guy even if its not in his name, and the vin doesn't turn up stolen after being inspected by the state patrol, the DMV will issue an "ownership in doubt" registration for 3 years. after waiting the 3 yrs they give you a clean title. So if MO's laws are similar you should get this thing cheap since it will be a pain to get the title AND if it IS stolen but not reported yet and the registered owner shows up two years into your waiting period, he gets the car back! So you better trust the guy your buying from.;)

http://www.dmv.com/mo/missouri/custom-vehicle-registration

That link includes antique title info, which is your best bet. There are other ways but that usually is the easiest. Kansas is much easier to get a antique title, but it has to be at least 30 years old. On a side note I called the highway patrol once to check a vin to see if it was stolen before I bought, they told me they couldn't unless they were doing an inspection. Which to me seems like they are promoting the purchase of stolen vehicles, as you usually buy it before you take it in for inspection.

In WA/ID, you can fill out paperwork to request an officer come check the vin of a vehicle to make sure it's not stolen. I luckily have a buddy in law enforcement, so i just call him and he calls me back. :) Fringe benefits.

I live in Missouri and have had the same issue I was told I would have to go see a judge and have an attorney represent the courts for ownership. Something any lawyer should do for cheap and no problem if its just a simple bill of sale no title thing and the vin has been cleared buy the MSHP.

Is the car your looking at in Oklahoma by chance?

If you can get it cheap enough for a parts car maybe but, my opionion would be the money your going to pay a lawyer and the red tape BS, would be Buy one from Cali with a clean tittle and have it shipped here.

Thanks, don't you guys worry about what shape the car is in? If you get it shipped do you guys fly out and look at the car first? Just curious I've never bought a car so far away.

my 69 had a title..but it had passed through 3 people w/out being transfered...it was a little task but I now have it in my hand. Do like others suggested, research the VIN 1st.

No shipping a car, I was lucky enough to have a list member where my 71 was taking pictures of the car for me and checking it out. I didnt see the car in person untill it showed up @ the shop.

If you can get it cheap enough for a parts car maybe but, my opionion would be the money your going to pay a lawyer and the red tape BS, would be Buy one from Cali with a clean tittle and have it shipped here.

I've got one for him =) if he wants a wagon....