Disappearing oil act

MantisX620

So I checked the oil today on my L20 and the dipstick was as dry as my ass. Let me say that my truck doesnt leak an ounce of oil(engine oil at least) and it doesnt smoke at all even under hard acceleration. So if it doesnt appear to be leaking or burning oil, where the hell is it going?

Thanks all

MantisX

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You'd be amazed how much oil you can burn before it smokes... or conversely, how much smoke a little oil will make. It's a crapshoot. I've had cars that smoked like a WWII Destroyer that burned less than a quart/1000 miles and a car that didn't smoke at all go through a quart every 200 miles. Depends a lot on where the oil is going internally.

So I checked the oil today on my L20 and the dipstick was as dry as my ass. Let me say that my truck doesnt leak an ounce of oil(engine oil at least) and it doesnt smoke at all even under hard acceleration. So if it doesnt appear to be leaking or burning oil, where the hell is it going?

Thanks all

MantisX

Hahaha you need to include a time frame here. If it took 3 years/ 20K miles to get this low then I would say it's fine. If in 3 months and 2K miles I would start looking for answers. Low oil happens, that's why we check it every couple of weeks.

A leak will spray all over the area leaking or the underside of the vehicle. It will also drip overnight and leave a wet spot in the driveway or at work where you park.

I took a crappy pic with my phone. I hope this helps. One thing I noticed was that the previous owner stuffed a spark plug in one of the hoses on the driver side of the motor.. Could this be the crankcase hose that was mentioned above? Where does this hose normally route to? As far as a timeframe, id say I had the oil halfway on the dipstick the last time I checked it maybe 3 weeks ago. Then dry. Now ive gone to autozone and picked up a jug of oil and topped it off where it should be. I guess ill drive it around a little more to see how much it burns from full.

20110728102201520.jpg

If the PCV system is operating correctly, the crankcase is at a slight vacuum when the engine is running. This helps prevent oil leaking out of the engine.

On the other hand, if the crankcase is sealed up, blowby gases will pressurize the crankcase, and that will tend to push oil out of seals, and gaskets.

If the PCV system is operating correctly, the crankcase is at a slight vacuum when the engine is running. This helps prevent oil leaking out of the engine.

On the other hand, if the crankcase is sealed up, blowby gases will pressurize the crankcase, and that will tend to push oil out of seals, and gaskets.

So I removed the spark plug out of the hose as seen in the pic and the truck wont start with it removed!! I plugged it back up with the spark plug and it started right away. Ive been looking for pics to see where this hose is supposed to go/do but nothing so far. Any ideas?

The spark plug is obviously plugging the hose to a missing (or badly leaking) PCV valve. Without the plug the intake has a massive leak. Someone has removed the PCV valve and it needs replacing and have the system working.