Torn between two Ladies....

DezertZ9

Im stuck right now. i owe my Dad 2k for helping me pick up the 240Z that i have. I sold a 280Z a while back and gave him the 1k that i got. then, my trucks trans. went out, and i needed a reliable, gas-saving DD. i stumbled upon the 280ZX when getting parts for the 240. the guy took good care of it, it get looks and compliments all the time, and its such a blast to drive, and the A/C works! (which is a must in the desert) so, im stuck as of now because im sick of this looming debt i owe to my Dad. the ZX is a great DD, and i have a plan of how to build it, and its pretty mild. just headlight covers, wheels, tires, BRE spoiler, and mild engine stuff. I Love the 280 because its been so reliable so far, its comfortable, its a blast to drive, and the looks grew on me. its sexy! The 240 is a car that ive wanted my whole life. i love the look of it, its just raw, and i mean, how could you not love the look and feel of it! its got a timing issue, so im having trouble getting it to run. Its either, Keep the 280 and have a fun, A/C equipped, DD that i can do mods to over time and still drive it, or keep the 240, but put more work into it but drive a car that is essentially my dream car.....i know it can be just as much fun as the 280, but itll take more money to get there....gah. im stuck between these two.....help a fellow Z lover?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On looks alone it can only be the 240. By the late '70 the Z car was a heavy old mans car suffering from option overload. Didn't even look like a Z anymore. If your old man is ragging about only a thousand dollars what's wrong with him? Most people owe tens to hundreds of times that amount. Keep both and tell dad you haven't forgotten and to chill, he'll get paid. Park the 240 somewhere safe from him, drive the zx and pay him off. Go back to the 240 and continue building it up.

no~brainer....

Keep the 240!

I commend you on your commitment to your debt w/dad. Pay it off promptly, and that resource will be there for many years to come in times of real need. Abuse it, and watch it evaporate faster than whiskey in the Barstow sun....

no~brainer....

Keep the 240!

I commend you on your commitment to your debt w/dad. Pay it off promptly, and that resource will be there for many years to come in times of real need. Abuse it, and watch it evaporate faster than whiskey in the Barstow sun....

^^^ This is as real as it gets. If you owe money(ESPECIALLY to your Dad), despite the inconvenience, you have to man up and do what's right. Don't bend this rule and make exceptions early on, you'll do this your whole life, and have difficulty in forming any kind of credibility in business and personal dealings. Do the right thing. The rewards of integrity are innumerable.

As far as the 2 cars.. I'd also go with the 240z, but I live in Oregon, where A/C is a luxury. I can sympathize with the desert dwellers, and the need for A/C, however. I lived in Phoenix, AZ for 2 years with no A/C. Rough livin'...

What if you sold the 280zx for $2.5k, paid your dad the $2k, and spent $500 on an A/C system for the 240z?

If you want the easy way, go with the 280z. If you want the hard way, go with the 240. I'd definitely go with the 240, but know it will be a lot more work and upkeep.

Or sell the 280z, pay off your dad and drive the 240. Fuck ac! I ran around in PHX heat and I didn't use the AC on my hardbody. Refused to. I remember blasting down the freeway both windows open at 105, no biggee. Hell, I changed out water heaters at 116 outside temp, that shit will get to you. Got heat stroke on that one. That is not fun. Had AC in the apartment though.

As much as it sounds painful, I'd say the smart money for now is to sell the 240z and get one later on when you're more equipped to deal with the money pit it will become to get it back to the level of a nice daily driver. Not saying you can't drive it as is, but old cars take work, plain and simple. How much time and money do you have?

well, tbh, like HRH said, as much as it hurts, im selling the 240.....he's right, so....2,500 OBO. :/ and i owe Dad 2k....he got me the 240 for 2k, i had a 1977 280Z, then i sold it for 1k. paid that to Dad, found the 280ZX, and borrowed back the money (1k) back to get that. so now its back up to 2k.

well, tbh, like HRH said, as much as it hurts, im selling the 240.....he's right, so....2,500 OBO. :/ and i owe Dad 2k....he got me the 240 for 2k, i had a 1977 280Z, then i sold it for 1k. paid that to Dad, found the 280ZX, and borrowed back the money (1k) back to get that. so now its back up to 2k.

It'd be cheaper to get rid of the GF ,,, and keep both the cars ,,, pay money back in no time :lol:

I say keep early s30 ,,, but practically speaking ,,, if your dad needs it ,,, then thats your own arrangement ,,,

If you do sell the early one ,,, you will forever kick yourself in the butt for not keeping it ,,, although it is A LOT of maintenance and keeping up on mechanical as well as ,,, some ,,, electrical "common issues" ,,, but these can be remedied easily with a little patience , time , and some money/practical fixes !

The later s130 will be somewhat a pain in the butt when things go haywire as well ,,,

I should know ,,, owned 3 early s30's ( which is very few compared to a lot of guys )

Good on you for paying back your obligations !!! :D

either way good luck and enjoy the ride !!!

Tough call. The 280ZX is easily a way more comfortable car, and far better on the highway. Makes a way better DD, as it's a much more modern car. I'm on my 3rd one, except that all mine were turbo's. The non turbo is kind of a dog comparatively. Parts are easier to get for the 280ZX. The earlier S30 looks cooler, but that's about it.

Tough call. The 280ZX is easily a way more comfortable car, and far better on the highway. Makes a way better DD, as it's a much more modern car. I'm on my 3rd one, except that all mine were turbo's. The non turbo is kind of a dog comparatively. Parts are easier to get for the 280ZX. The earlier S30 looks cooler, but that's about it.

I personally prefer S30 interior/exterior ,,, :D ,,, I like the zx's too !!! ;)

Yet again ,,, zx guts ,,, in an S30 ,,, OMG ,,, :o ,,, a new concept :lol: ,,, more faster/lighter !? possibly ? :lol: :P

Yet ,,, for Daily Driving ,,, and parts availability ,,, yes the ZX is a chill ride ,,, and hard to beat ! :cool:

well, I like many of you have had many Z's. Im 3 deep now, sold the zxt and the extra z and kept the S30.

I love the S30 on the highway, in town, even in the 110 degree MT summers I just role down the window and smile knowing that my car doesn't look like an 80's bastard child. It handles nice, the ladies love it, the old folks love it, kids love it, cops love it (in a good way, gotten out of a 110 in an 75 because "he had one back in highschool"). Previously stated, you will literally wee-man from jackass kick yourself in the head if you sell the S30. Chances are you'll have trouble finding one in decent shape again, the ZX's are literally a dime a dozen. I've had no trouble getting and S30 Part I've ever needed being up in the NW most of the time. Oregon, Washington are filled with the little bastards :D ZX's aren't a novelty car, their a daily driver car, they are big, decent looking and just overall too big for a z.

As for the debts go, I'd say sell the Zx and put the extra money into the Z after you pay your dad off. The Trust of your Father is worth more than the ownership of an ZX. I'd know, if my dad hadn't sent me little money here and there for stuff at first I wouldn't of made it either, but now money isn't an issue and I enjoy being able to sent it back his way. Hopefully one day you can do the same, sell the ZX and keep the lady killer S30. Trust Me.

Sean.

• 7 months later...

Wow. Old thread, but i did sell the 240, non-running, for 2,100. The 280 was Dailyed, and it was extremely reliable. Until the old (already-on-its-way-out) trans died. All in all, i replaced the trans, diff bushing, all fluids, new tires, and threw on an intake and cut off the muffler. :P it was a great daily until i found another 71 240Z. I had promised myself that id get another. So i put a deposit down, got the car, sold the ZX and paid off the 240. Ive been dailying it for about 3 months now, without a problem! Did a few things here and there, and im in LOVE! Thanks for the input you all gave! :) pics up soon.....