need to vent

sorry if this is dick but i formed my opinion of you when you spelled college "collage," if i was employing you id knock off 50 cents your hourly just for that. the real world doesnt get any better, i suggest working parttime and go back to school, if they wont let you stay on as pt, fuck em, youre really not making that much money. lastly, just get rid of those hopes for a "thanks," that doesnt happen.

Seriously the only time spelling matters like that is if your an editor. If your a writer you probably have an editor and that's really not a big deal.

A lot of you guys aren't great at spelling, doesn't mean you don't know your shit when it comes to Datto's

Grammar seems more important than spelling to me, like Mike said. A sentence with no capitals is a lot harder to read than a misspelled word...

But I do agree that it might be good to go to school part time or something. That way no job can use the lack of education to screw you out of pay anymore. It clearly doesn't affect your ability to work on cars.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for the spelling guys, normally im not too bad of a speller. Also i cannot quit at this time, just had a son 7 months ago, and about 10 grand in tools to pay for. along with my Camry and appt. and other bills. so i have no choice but to stay. this town is only got just under 10k people. 4 car dealer ships. chevrolet, toyota, ford, and dodge.... Bergstom's, the guy i work for, own chevrolet, toyota, and the ford dealer... and the dodge dealer is a small business. so no where else to go really.

aLL mY sENTANCES aRE nOT cAPITAL.

apparently, not to many here are in (or have been) the position to hire that someone...

i would not call someone back who had several typos or bad grammar on it.

when there are multiple applicants for 1 job, the edge goes to the person who can complete the application without errors. [real world]

I hate when sentences have not capitals too :lol:

:rolleyes: it was a typo....t isn't close to those letters but I go on auto pilot so shh....

and yea I'd say try to squeeze some school in there. Take some online classes or something. That way they can't use that as a reason to not pay you more.

Sorry for the spelling guys, normally im not too bad of a speller. Also i cannot quit at this time, just had a son 7 months ago, and about 10 grand in tools to pay for. along with my Camry and appt. and other bills. so i have no choice but to stay. this town is only got just under 10k people. 4 car dealer ships. chevrolet, toyota, ford, and dodge.... Bergstom's, the guy i work for, own chevrolet, toyota, and the ford dealer... and the dodge dealer is a small business. so no where else to go really.

Yep...real world kinda sucks. Might be worth looking into that statement earlier about getting paid more if you supply tools. You certainly couldn't go in demanding more, but it would give you some confidence and leverage to ask for more.

aLL mY sENTANCES aRE nOT cAPITAL.

when there are multiple applicants for 1 job, the edge goes to the person who can complete the application without errors. [real world]

I agree, if their qualifications are equal, but there has to be a gray area somewhere. I'm sure you wouldn't take the perfect app and weak skills over the guy with mad skills and a minor error or two.

sorry if this is dick but i formed my opinion of you when you spelled college "collage," if i was employing you id knock off 50 cents your hourly just for that. the real world doesnt get any better, i suggest working parttime and go back to school, if they wont let you stay on as pt, fuck em, youre really not making that much money. lastly, just get rid of those hopes for a "thanks," that doesnt happen.

....but in all fairness....kingbee did say "if he were hiring him" and as far as opinions go...I've formed opinions based on less. I just wanted to be clear that I was pointing out the irony, in my opinion, of the comment. Not that I was trying to beat up on kingbee. :)

This sounds like a whole lot of bad planning or no planning at all. Debt <--> Income = Fail. You should absolutely not be 10 grand in debt in tools alone at the ripe ol' age of 19. Especially with a kid!

This sounds like a whole lot of bad planning or no planning at all. Debt <--> Income = Fail. You should absolutely not be 10 grand in debt in tools alone at the ripe ol' age of 19. Especially with a kid!

Well at least he is in debt for something worthwhile, as he gets older those tools will make him more money than that.....better than getting buried ten g's in a ricer or something.

I'm sorry, but grammar Nazi says, "Spelling and grammar are always important, especially when writing and speaking the English language." :) At the same time, my old man is hella talented with fabrication and he always has to ask me how to spell words. If you're doing a lot of writing describing problems or writing estimates, yes it's very important. If you're just wrenching, there are other things that are of more concern.

Conversely though, anything worth doing, is worth doing well. If you have that attitude when working on cars, English and grammar should naturally follow to the best of your abilities. Unless of course you're in Mexico and speak Spanish. Then the aforementioned statement would not be true. :D

Either way, you're getting underpaid. I make way more than that as a semi-counterman at NAPA. Your position is much more skilled.

I'm sorry, but grammar Nazi says, "Spelling and grammar are always important, especially when writing and speaking the English language." :) At the same time, my old man is hella talented with fabrication and he always has to ask me how to spell words. If you're doing a lot of writing describing problems or writing estimates, yes it's very important. If you're just wrenching, there are other things that are of more concern.

Conversely though, anything worth doing, is worth doing well. If you have that attitude when working on cars, English and grammar should naturally follow to the best of your abilities. Unless of course you're in Mexico and speak Spanish. Then the aforementioned statement would not be true. :D

Either way, you're getting underpaid. I make way more than that as a semi-counterman at NAPA. Your position is much more skilled.

Matt, is this how you REALLY feel?

There is a HUGE difference between having shitty grammar and spelling when venting on a forum and having shitty grammar and spelling when turning in a resume.

HAHA, yes, I agree, that wasn't entirely my point, but yes, for here a grain of salt has to be taken with grammar and spelling. Except for noobs who spell every fifth word right with no punctuation. That shit is just lazy.

Sounds like being a mechanic just isn't a great job but ya know what, with no formal education you are lucky to even have a job. Economy is shit no matter what anyone says and there are 122323223232 people out there with college education. Unless you go to a professional school or get certified your best bet would be to (like above poster stated) look for a deckhand or warehouse job. Being a deck hand is stupid hard work but it pays $$$$$$, whilst being a warehouse guy (look for a good company) is, if you are proactive, don't make mistakes and can pass piss tests is a way to earn a living. Warehouses have super high turnover due to felons/druggies/nobodies just not giving a fuck. Due to this labor dilemma those that stick with it usually get promoted pretty quickly. Did I mention it is pretty unheard of to start below $10/hr.

But TBH go back to school, you may or may not be financially in a tough spot but without a formal education you are going to have a hard time out competing others for those better jobs. On top of that with out that training you will be limited greatly in pay as employers generally do not give good paying jobs to less educated people (unless you have good contacts or know someone). Take advantage of financial aid or government/private grants and stick it out.

If college or tech school truly isn't available to you than I would suggest doing your best to build a resume via having good professional references, marketing yourself to customers (especially on side jobs where you are out of the shop) and not being a dummy as pissing off your boss or being unsavory towards your customers will not get you that reference. Once you build up good relationships with customers start doing side jobs under the table, or even think about going to a smaller specialty shop rather than a large dealership.

And in the end you better hope your body holds up to the abuse as these kinds of jobs will leave in bad shape by the time you're 50.

• Like 1

Well at least he is in debt for something worthwhile, as he gets older those tools will make him more money than that.....better than getting buried ten g's in a ricer or something.

Yes, as long as he stays with the profession. Otherwise it's another expensive hobby. To spend 10k on a starter set it a little ridiculous especially if you don't make enough to pay it back.

Yes, as long as he stays with the profession. Otherwise it's another expensive hobby. To spend 10k on a starter set it a little ridiculous especially if you don't make enough to pay it back.

Well as that is true enough, you have to spend money to make money. I have a little over 30K in my toolbox and growing. Tools are never a bad investment, because even if you don't wrench as a career forever, it sure helps save you tons being able to do your own work, and even side work.

Well as that is true enough, you have to spend money to make money. I have a little over 30K in my toolbox and growing. Tools are never a bad investment, because even if you don't wrench as a career forever, it sure helps save you tons being able to do your own work, and even side work.

Do I need to post my thoughts on good tools again? Last time I think I made Jayden puke.

I have met a few UTI graduates that don't know shit.

This Wyotech top of the class graduate that used to work with me, didn't even know how to weld. Now he is stuck with a $30k debt and no job.

There's nothing like hands on training

• Like 1

I have met a few UTI graduates that don't know shit.

This Wyotech top of the class graduate that used to work with me, didn't even know how to weld. Now he is stuck with a $30k debt and no job.

There's nothing like hands on training

That's true! I would look at this job as a stepping stone. Sure it might suck now, but it's the type of education you can't get at a school. Like I said, I too work at a dealer so I am familliar with your situation. Although it's not like you've described where I work. We have great cemestry between our service writers and techs. Thank you's from the customers are not too uncommon either, but it's often the techs will talk with the customers themselves to describe what might be happening at a level the service advisors cannot.

On the flip side, its a dealer and there are also a lot of angry customers.. so it's not all lolly pops and double rainbows over here. It really sounds like the techs and service writers need to work together as a team, and you would have better success overall. The service writers here don't get paid well unless the techs get shit done. So they work together nicely.

Trust me, I am a tech as well. You do have to spend money to make money and I agree in the investment part of things. Coming out of school I didn't drop 10k on tools though because I knew I wasn't going to start cranking in cash right away. I pocketed the cash cannon and bought a few things here and there that would make my life easier. I am guessing 3-5k of his investment was in a pretty box that holds his tools. A box of which will not ever make him any money.

That would be like getting out of school, buying a brand new BMW just to drive to work when a Datto will get you there just fine and cost a fraction of the price.

All I can say is good luck, and don't get too comfy just learn and move on,

That's true! I would look at this job as a stepping stone. Sure it might suck now, but it's the type of education you can't get at a school. Like I said, I too work at a dealer so I am familliar with your situation. Although it's not like you've described where I work. We have great cemestry between our service writers and techs. Thank you's from the customers are not too uncommon either, but it's often the techs will talk with the customers themselves to describe what might be happening at a level the service advisors cannot.

On the flip side, its a dealer and there are also a lot of angry customers.. so it's not all lolly pops and double rainbows over here. It really sounds like the techs and service writers need to work together as a team, and you would have better success overall. The service writers here don't get paid well unless the techs get shit done. So they work together nicely.

Trust me, I am a tech as well. You do have to spend money to make money and I agree in the investment part of things. Coming out of school I didn't drop 10k on tools though because I knew I wasn't going to start cranking in cash right away. I pocketed the cash cannon and bought a few things here and there that would make my life easier. I am guessing 3-5k of his investment was in a pretty box that holds his tools. A box of which will not ever make him any money.

That would be like getting out of school, buying a brand new BMW just to drive to work when a Datto will get you there just fine and cost a fraction of the price.

All I can say is good luck, and don't get too comfy just learn and move on,

Well if he initially dropped that kind of bread on a toolbox, that is pretty dumb. I don't see 10 k being that bad of an initial investment. Do I have a 5k toolbox? Yea I do, but I started out with crap and worked my way up too....but that's neither here nor there, I know people (my x father in law is one) who never use tools, and even don't know how to, but they every tool they can. Never a bad investment. Anyhow I hope things get better for him, but being proactive about it is going to get the results in this case.

I went to UTI and was fairly disappointed in alot of my peers, but at the same time, glad I was learning so that none of those idiots would be touching my car. I studied my ass off and graduated with honors. Been in the field since then. About 4 years ago, I got tired of dealing with shops run by greedy owners with poor decision making skills, and set out on my own. This September will be my 4th year in business for myself, and it's great. I don't advertise, and only work for people I know, or people they know. I charge lower than any shops around, but higher than I made working for those shops. I have great personal and business relationships with my clients, and everybody who comes to me leaves happy and grateful. Everybody wins.

It is a hard industry, but if you can find a niche, it can really work out. Are there any heavy equipment businesses around? CAT, John Deere, etc.. those places are hourly, and generally the work environment is alot more pleasant. I worked for CAT for a while, and if it weren't for the logistical dilemma of it being in Portland and me wanting nothing to do with Portland, I would be there today.

Well if he initially dropped that kind of bread on a toolbox, that is pretty dumb. I don't see 10 k being that bad of an initial investment. Do I have a 5k toolbox? Yea I do, but I started out with crap and worked my way up too....but that's neither here nor there, I know people (my x father in law is one) who never use tools, and even don't know how to, but they every tool they can. Never a bad investment. Anyhow I hope things get better for him, but being proactive about it is going to get the results in this case.

Yeah I hope things get better also, it's a tough gig!