need to vent

I went to UTI and was fairly disappointed in alot of my peers, but at the same time, glad I was learning so that none of those idiots would be touching my car. I studied my ass off and graduated with honors. Been in the field since then. About 4 years ago, I got tired of dealing with shops run by greedy owners with poor decision make skills, and set out on my own. This September will be my 4th year in business for myself, and it's great. I don't advertise, and only work for people I know, or people they know. I charge lower than any shops around, but higher than I made working for those shops. I have great personal and business relationships with my clients, and everybody who comes to me leaves happy and grateful. Everybody wins.

It is a hard industry, but if you can find a niche, it can really work out. Are there any heavy equipment businesses around? CAT, John Deere, etc.. those places are hourly, and generally the work environment is alot more pleasant. I worked for CAT for a while, and if it weren't for the logistical dilemma of it being in Portland and me wanting nothing to do with Portland, I would be there today.

Sounds like you've got a good thing going for you. Shop rates can really be crazy sometimes.. So if you have little to no overhead, it's just money in the bank!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL! I don't typically chime in on these kind of posts, but I thought it a bit ironic that the comment about the poor spelling was made by a guy who can't type capitals at the beginning of a sentence! Making it much harder to read and comprehend than having one or two misspelled words! :) Too funny!

yea, i tend to not use capitals while bullshitting on forums, i also never seem to insert apostrophes as in "youre;" just pure laziness. i usually dont care about spelling, but college is a word that anyone educated or well-read should know how to spell. actually, the more i think of it the more its starting to sound like just a pet peeve... so whatever i guess :P

My box alone was like 15 or 16 hundred. It's not too much at all. the rest is just tools. That that includes all my air tools and everything i have. the only reason it is this much, is cuz it is snap on. Well about 8500 of it is. The rest is just stuff i picked up here and there... The way i see it, as a lot of you do, is tools will make me money. Weather i make payments for them now or later, i am going to need them. I am doing training guys. I will be gm certified tech when its all over. I guess the reason i feel under paid is cuz i have not been at my second job now for about a month. I am employed at O'reilly auto parts. I normally work there about 20 hours a week. Get paid the same there as i do the dealer also. but as of about a month and a half ago, the manager has been fired. so they the store is sort of being ran by 2 employees. there both retarded and have no idea what there doing. I worked with them for a couple weeks after the manager got fired, and i figured i better leave then get fired cuz they both don't like me. so i called up the district manager and talked to him about the situation, and told him i would like to be taken off the schedule till he finds a manager, or i will probably walk out, or he will hear some bull shit lies from the 2 other guys trying to get fired. He agreed and took me off the schedule. since then, 2 people have quit, and one has been removed from schedule like i did. So that is a big hit from the pay check also, but i am still underpaid for working my ass off.

My box alone was like 15 or 16 hundred. It's not too much at all. the rest is just tools. That that includes all my air tools and everything i have. the only reason it is this much, is cuz it is snap on. Well about 8500 of it is. The rest is just stuff i picked up here and there... The way i see it, as a lot of you do, is tools will make me money. Weather i make payments for them now or later, i am going to need them. I am doing training guys. I will be gm certified tech when its all over. I guess the reason i feel under paid is cuz i have not been at my second job now for about a month. I am employed at O'reilly auto parts. I normally work there about 20 hours a week. Get paid the same there as i do the dealer also. but as of about a month and a half ago, the manager has been fired. so they the store is sort of being ran by 2 employees. there both retarded and have no idea what there doing. I worked with them for a couple weeks after the manager got fired, and i figured i better leave then get fired cuz they both don't like me. so i called up the district manager and talked to him about the situation, and told him i would like to be taken off the schedule till he finds a manager, or i will probably walk out, or he will hear some bull shit lies from the 2 other guys trying to get fired. He agreed and took me off the schedule. since then, 2 people have quit, and one has been removed from schedule like i did. So that is a big hit from the pay check also, but i am still underpaid for working my ass off.

1600 isn't too much for a box. Not bad. If you are going to get tools there are only a few ways to go.. snapon, matco, or mac.. all of them will rape your wallet but you buy them for life. No argument there. Also, I don't recall reading you had another job so that changes things.

1600 isn't too much for a box. Not bad. If you are going to get tools there are only a few ways to go.. snapon, matco, or mac.. all of them will rape your wallet but you buy them for life. No argument there. Also, I don't recall reading you had another job so that changes things.

Mac was an option up until Stanley bought them. Turned into garbage imho. Snap on or nothing lol.........

Snap On? More like Snap Off! I've broken many Snap On tools. After that I boycotted them. But then I also don't wrench for a living. My combination of NAPA/Craftsman/very few Snap On/Bluepoint tools lets me wrench on anything I need to. But I inspect everything before I buy it. Rotating assemblies from Craftsman? Forget it. Same with NAPA, our GOOD ratchets are crap. I found some professional line Craftsman ratchets that are much better, probably not quite Snap On, but darn close. Been using them for 3 years now, no breakage. And I absolutely love Gear Wrenches. I remember when I got my first set working at Spaldings. Nothing like taking Ford doors off in 2 minutes when the rows were so close together you couldn't get the door open all the way.

MAC isn't too bad. I bought a nice 1/4" air ratchet off the truck. Last one, made in *drumroll* JAPAN!! Only reason I bought it!

I went to Wyotech a few years ago and graduated pretty much at the top of my class as an EagleTech. Granted, there were a lot of people that graduated that probably should not have. There was a lot of hands on stuff to learn, but I left school 35k in debt and feeling as if my education was lacking. I learned more about wiring, dyno tuning, and aftermarket ECU's than getting into the grit of an engine. I helped build a 454" and blew up a b16 civic mid tuning session, yet still felt something was missing. I believe what was missing was the confidence you have now in knowing what you know. Even then I got a job right out of school as a lube tech paying 9.50/hr. as a lube tech at the Toyota dealership near me. I loved the work, but hated the politics of the work. A lot of the people didn't like me right from the get-go since they had never hired a Wyotech person, strictly UTI. I lasted a month at that job since I couldn't put up with their BS and lies (were they seriously trying to tell me I didn't tighten the oil drain plug on nearly every car I worked on?!), but got another job less than a month later. With two kids, funds were tight for a while, but you gotta make due with what you have and not give up. Are you gettin' shafted? You're damn right you are, but your choices will be: take what you have and make the best of it, attempt to get a raise in some way (definitely should get more for having your own tools), or find something else. Jobs are definitely out there, but they may not be to your liking. Use this job as experience and always keep trying to better yourself. If you don't go to school, I recommend lots of reading. May not be the same as a diploma to some people, but I've found I don't need a diploma from a college to know my shit compared to someone who does. Good luck.

Snap On? More like Snap Off! I've broken many Snap On tools. After that I boycotted them. But then I also don't wrench for a living. My combination of NAPA/Craftsman/very few Snap On/Bluepoint tools lets me wrench on anything I need to. But I inspect everything before I buy it. Rotating assemblies from Craftsman? Forget it. Same with NAPA, our GOOD ratchets are crap. I found some professional line Craftsman ratchets that are much better, probably not quite Snap On, but darn close. Been using them for 3 years now, no breakage. And I absolutely love Gear Wrenches. I remember when I got my first set working at Spaldings. Nothing like taking Ford doors off in 2 minutes when the rows were so close together you couldn't get the door open all the way.

MAC isn't too bad. I bought a nice 1/4" air ratchet off the truck. Last one, made in *drumroll* JAPAN!! Only reason I bought it!

LOL, well I have yet to find a snap on tool that cant take my abuse.......and i do dumb shit like put cheaters on 1/4 drive ratchets. To each their own I say. My snap on tools hold their worth, wether I keep them forever or trade them up. And to those who say its "just a name", I damn sure is, its a name I can take to the bank LOL. I love all tools though, and will never stop being a tool whore. Used my new techangle tonight doing headbolts on the KA in my dads truck...........love it

I have yet to find a snap on tool that cant take my abuse.

fixed ;)

ive broken every brand name tool at some time.

craftsman can get replaced on a sunday afternoon (the snap on guy doesn't like to be hassled during football season)

fixed ;)

ive broken every brand name tool at some time.

craftsman can get replaced on a sunday afternoon (the snap on guy doesn't like to be hassled during football season)

The reason I quit going to craftsman. Run over there, on my worthless 20 minute lunchbreak in my overalls to change in my broken shit tool. " welcome to sears, how may I help you". "Hello, I need the tool replaced please".

"Ok, let me find the replacement"........oh wait are you using your tools professionally? Sorry, our tools are only warrented for homeowner use, if you use the tools professionally, you need to buy them from the craftsman pro company (truck situation just like snap on) where the prices are fucking absurd. Fuck craftsman in its stupid ass. I also feel bad for guys that have lazy snap on guys......I am in bfe and my guy goes out of his way every time I need something. Anyways we all have good and bad about each brand, and this could go on forever so yea.

The reason I quit going to craftsman. Run over there, on my worthless 20 minute lunchbreak in my overalls to change in my broken shit tool. " welcome to sears, how may I help you". "Hello, I need the tool replaced please".

"Ok, let me find the replacement"........oh wait are you using your tools professionally? Sorry, our tools are only warrented for homeowner use, if you use the tools professionally, you need to buy them from the craftsman pro company (truck situation just like snap on) where the prices are fucking absurd. Fuck craftsman in its stupid ass. I also feel bad for guys that have lazy snap on guys......I am in bfe and my guy goes out of his way every time I need something. Anyways we all have good and bad about each brand, and this could go on forever so yea.

tru dat, homey! :rofl: Can't buy craftsman tools or some poor sears worker is going to get seriously injured. My snap-on guys goes above and beyond.

Yep, they don't warranty shit if you use it professionally.. which is basically saying our tools are shit. Don't get me wrong I've got a lot of craftsman tools. But they aren't any better than the other cheap shit I have. Only difference is the warranty if you lie about it or don't tell them you are a tech.

Theres a couple guys in the shop that use a lot of craftsman, and all i ever hear them do is complain about them. They get so pissy when the guys at sears tell them they wont warranty a 1/2-3/8 adapter cuz they used it on an impact. I only have a few problems with snap on. #1 air tools, there too heavy, and over priced. All my air tools are Ingersol. #2 the 3/8 dual 80 ratchet. i thought this was a pile of shit after it took a shit twice on me. I told him i would not like another just take it off my account. since then, i have gotten the mac soft grip, with the nice smooth head, also i feel like this is smoother that the snap on. My other snap on ratchets, one 1/4 snap on and a 1/4 bluepoint, and a 1/2 snap on, have all been great.

Maybe if you took your coveralls off???????

This is why I posted that. If on your break from work it might be obvious if you have coveralls on saying Ed's Garage on them. Disguise yourself as a guy working at home in his driveway.

This is why I posted that. If on your break from work it might be obvious if you have coveralls on saying Ed's Garage on them. Disguise yourself as a guy working at home in his driveway.

I completely understand why you posted that, Mike. I did do that to get my tools warrantied. It just left a sour taste in my mouth, and I stopped buying their tools eventually. At the time it was all I could afford.

Theres a couple guys in the shop that use a lot of craftsman, and all i ever hear them do is complain about them. They get so pissy when the guys at sears tell them they wont warranty a 1/2-3/8 adapter cuz they used it on an impact. I only have a few problems with snap on. #1 air tools, there too heavy, and over priced. All my air tools are Ingersol. #2 the 3/8 dual 80 ratchet. i thought this was a pile of shit after it took a shit twice on me. I told him i would not like another just take it off my account. since then, i have gotten the mac soft grip, with the nice smooth head, also i feel like this is smoother that the snap on. My other snap on ratchets, one 1/4 snap on and a 1/4 bluepoint, and a 1/2 snap on, have all been great.

Ingersol > Snap-on when it comes to pneumatics. I've ran into my fair share of shitty snap on tools also.. Bit drivers, remote hose clamp pliers, and some of the ratchets.

Ingersol > Snap-on when it comes to pneumatics. I've ran into my fair share of shitty snap on tools also.. Bit drivers, remote hose clamp pliers, and some of the ratchets.

I just read my posts, and I'm not hating on snap-on or anything. I actually love a lot of their stuff! But not all of their products are top quality. :P

Mechanics get fucked all the time. I was in kind of this situation before but my service writer was a snide piece of shit. I bitched to the manager but nothing happened because he never saw it happen. Till one day, one of the greatest days of my life. To watch that ass hole cower in fear of losing his job (not his first employee abuse complaint). Things got a little better but never were great, he found a way to make my life miserable and fly under the radar. I eventually quit but regret it.

If you guys are that slammed and in need of that much help and you have the skills you talk about, you hold the power. Tell you manager you want to negotiate with him. Get your little piece of paper that tells people you know what your doing (ASE), and nobody will ever give you shit. You'll pick your jobs coming in by how much they pay, get the best spot in the shop and if they don't agree you'll be able to get a job before you quit that one (best move, always have a backup)

Hang in there man. Your reward is coming, everyone pays their dues as shitty as it is.