V-v-v-i-i-b-b-bzzzz at around 60 mph

boxboy

I have so far balanced the driveshaft, replaced u-joints, have new tires and balanced wheels, and new inner and outer wheel bearings on the front end. The truck doesn't wander as if the tie-rods are bad. The slip shaft on the DL-yoke wasn't real worn looking as if the output shaft bearing is bad either. Yet when I get up around 55-60 mph I get a pretty good vibration. I would say it feels like the front end, but I am not real sure. I push in the clutch and still vibrating, so I am guessing not a clutch or motor mount issue.

Anyone got any ideas? My king pins are bad, but not "that" bad. Could alignment do this? Steering really feels pretty tight to me.

• Like 1
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tires/wheels out of balance ?

Broken Belt in Tire ?

Tumor in Tire ?

Low Tire Pressure ?

Warped Rotors ?

Loose/Bad Front Bearings ?

Idler Control Bushings/Arm condition ?

etc ...

Read the post on most of that. The idler arm seems good to me. Control Bushings? Who knows. How do I test them?

I do seem to have a front brake that is adjusted all the way in and still seems tight. I can't figure it out. Cylinder seems to be all the way in and so is the adjuster. I suppose the drum could be warped.

Read the post on most of that. The idler arm seems good to me. Control Bushings? Who knows. How do I test them?

I do seem to have a front brake that is adjusted all the way in and still seems tight. I can't figure it out. Cylinder seems to be all the way in and so is the adjuster. I suppose the drum could be warped.

Just because a part is "new" doesn't make it "good" ,,, feel me ? ;)

Also ,,, New equipment doesn't mean shit ,,, if it isn't installed right or working right eh ? :lol: ;)

Also ,,, inexperienced workers ,,, on tire-balancing-machines ,,, some times ,,, don't get the balance EXACTLY where it should be ,,, as in a weight or two off or just a hair off of the line up (use to do em) !!! ,,, AND ,,, if you purchased CHEAPO tires ( like I do ) ,,, many times they "Clearance" out ones that are not as good as the rest ,,,

Does it vibrate through the floor boards ?

Does it vibrate through the steering wheel ?

Does it vibrate on acceleration/de-acceleration ?

We need a bit more info ,,,

Tires are mid grade tires, not seconds. The tire jockey did say I had a slightly bent wheel, but he said it shouldn't affect anything. Believe me, I would like this to be a tire problem!

Bearings are high quality. I installed them, but just recently, and I have noticed no difference in the vibration. Grease packed, and tightened to 17-20 ft/lbs and then loosened 1/8 turn.

Seems I hear it more than I feel it, but I do feel it slightly. I really don't feel it severely in the steering wheel, but I suppose a little. I don't feel much of anything until I reach 55. When I feel it, I have pushed in the clutch to see if it goes away, and it almost seems to get louder right away until the truck slows down enough that it isn't in the "harmonics" anymore and it is gone. Like I said, I feel like it is coming from the front of the truck.

Ok :) ,,, cool cool !!!

Switch out the slightly ben't wheel and try it :) ( fast easy eliminator I would try before more expensive stuff)

Does it "Howl" ,,,

Have you checked your axle(s) ? Axle bearings ? ben't axles ? (common on chevy IDK on Datsun's !??? :huh: ) ,,, I am moar of a Z car guy ;)

Cool ! Keep it up and hope you get it !!!

I assume by axles you are talking rear axles. No I haven't. Is there an easy way to check them? There is no "howl", so I don't think it is tranny or rear end.

Changing the slightly bent wheel with the spare may be a good idea.

Could a bad tranny mount make the driveline angle bad enough to do this? It isn't broken, but it seems to move around a bit when I grab the DL to check the u-joints. Doesn't clink or rattle against anything though, so I assume the rubber is still there.

What about the rubbing brake drum? I cleaned up the brakes when I bought this truck. Freed up stuck adjusters etc. I have everything as loose as I can get it, but still a bit tight for my liking.

I assume by axles you are talking rear axles. No I haven't. Is there an easy way to check them? There is no "howl", so I don't think it is tranny or rear end.

Changing the slightly bent wheel with the spare may be a good idea.

Could a bad tranny mount make the driveline angle bad enough to do this? It isn't broken, but it seems to move around a bit when I grab the DL to check the u-joints. Doesn't clink or rattle against anything though, so I assume the rubber is still there.

What about the rubbing brake drum? I cleaned up the brakes when I bought this truck. Freed up stuck adjusters etc. I have everything as loose as I can get it, but still a bit tight for my liking.

Yes I would check those things you mentioned ,,, if your drum is warped ,,, then that could cause some interesting issues !

I know this is a silly suggestion ,,, re-torque all wheels ,,, AFTER ,,, switching spare for bent rim

Yes ,,, Tranny mounts sometimes can cause angle issues ( they did in my Z car(s) as did my diff mounts which are prone to failure in those cars , but meh , they are 35+ years old :lol: :rolleyes: ) ,,,

Over-torquing Wheel nuts or un-even patterns CAN cause vibration issues as well ,,, and warp the drum in the process ,,,

Just replace the bushings if in doubt ( and importantly if you have money )

although ,,, kingpins ,,, no matter whether we THOUGHT they were "ok" enough on our ISUZU NPR Diesel trucks ,,, to run ,,, if they were bad at all ,,, vibration issues would show up immediately ,,, starting small to large

I know this may be redundant for you ,,, I hope you figure it out ! :)

I can't believe I have owned this truck for a year and had the front wheels off several times and still haven't found all the dumb stuff the PO or his mechanic did to it. I mentioned above that I felt I had a dragging brake. I have looked and looked at this wheel and everything seemed to look right. Tonight I just decided to tear the brakes completely off and since I have an extra set of adjusters I have cleaned up, install one and see what happens. Well, in taking off the shoes I noticed that they had the rear drum retention spring pulling on the front drum instead of the rear. Cleaned everything up, switched the spring and vuala! No more sticking/rubbing drum brake. And boy does she brake smoother and better. Still I should probably replace the shoes since I can see a heat crack in the lining.

Thinking this may have been the ultimate cure for the aforementioned vibration, I hopped in with highest hopes. NOPE! I guess one of the next few nights I will have to pull that spare and give it a whirl. I must say, the more I drove it tonight, the more I am convinced that I am hearing it more than feeling it. Like a harmonic of some sort. I tried to accelerate out of it tonight, and it did get "better" a bit around 65, but as soon as I let off the gas it gets worse until I get down around 45 mph.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

If the guy marked the rim that was bent or if you remember which one it was swap it to the passenger side back; the furthest spot from the driver. Also, youre driving a light truck with stiff suspension and deep gears (if stock) at some decently high revs... its going to be a buzzy little bastard :)

My dad had a 68 520 as well and hes always been anal on maintenance. He drove it from Edmonds to Spokane when I was little and I asked him the other day what speeds he went with the little J13. He said about 75-80 and that it never missed a beat... Then he kind of shook his head and said that it was the worst damn drive of his life :)

Look around for some more highway friendly gears to drop the RPMs and youll probably notice a HUGE difference.

On a side note... Have you checked/changed the oil in the rear axle?