Please Help with swap info

Rat720

Ok guys and gals...

I know this question has been asked before, and this has been discussed many times, and trust me over the past week I have read all of it. The reason I'm asking again alittle more specific is because through my reading I read many differing ways, opinions and what not, I just need to know the easiest cheapest way of doing this please.

How to swap a ka24e and matching 5speed from an 89 240 into my 81 720? I know I need the oil pan and pickup from a hardbody ka, I know I need to get an inline walbro fuel pump, I think the mounts will need to be modified(I've read they do and some say don't??), I think my drive shaft will need to be shortened,

I have the engine and tranny, part of the mounts that go from engine to off the car( and oviously my frame mounts) full efi harness from same 240 and ecu.

1. Will I have to modify the mounts? If so what's the easiest way

2. What else will I need to wire in the harness? What's the easiest way to wire it in?

3. Will I have to modify anything to mount the new tranny to the crossmember?

4. What is the best fuel pump choice? Without having to get an extrenal fuel pressure rgulator?

5. Will I have to do anything special to my fuel system other than the pump?

I think that does it for now, if anymore pop in my head ill post them up. As long as money permits I'm planning on this swap being done in the next week or two! :-)

Thanks in advance

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A link that I said I've already done, I figured by me letting it be known in my post that I had done that and read many write ups, and just wanted afew specific questions answered I wouldn't get the "use serch" or smartass links.....guess I was wrong, anyone else?

Then why has every writeup I've read said swap the oil pan and pickup for one off a truck ka??

Cuz you're missing something.

FWD, 240sx, and the truck KA's we're all the same engine, but used a different block.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/37-ka24e-into-a-620/

Follow that link.

It's for a 620-but they're pretty much the same.

Z24andKA24E-1.jpg

KA from 240sx

KA24Eblock001Large.jpg

You can see that a different starter is used with the car KA. The main bearing caps are all a one piece girdle. I don't know if it will clear the truck pan, probably not.

KA24Eblock017Large.jpg

Here's the car oil pan if that helps. (most have been a chevy owner too)

KA24Eblock009Large.jpg

Ok, well once I get a hardbody pan ill let everyone know on that, worst case ill make a custom one. What about the other questions?

Honestly guys I'm not trying to be lazy, but I've read all of writeups I could find and just need these certain feww questions answered. All help so far is appreciated.

And as for the smartass thing I'm one as well, lol, ill upload a pic of the hat that sits on my dash so y'all can see it, I think you'll like it lol.

Thanks again

Does your sway bar run right by the center link? my 85 720 did. or is it like a 521/620 up by the core support?? if its like the 521 620 ya dont have to modify the pan at all as long as you build mounts from scratch. I just put a 12v ka in the 521 gots lots of room with a frt sump pan.

1. Will I have to modify the mounts? If so what's the easiest way

The 720 came from the factory with the NapZ Engine. As Mike pointed out ^^^, the truck KA block and NapZ motor are so close that it's not even funny. It should bolt right in with the NapZ motor mounts.

2. What else will I need to wire in the harness? What's the easiest way to wire it in?

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/537-how-to-wire-a-ka-ca-sr-and-vg-into-anything/

^^^"How to wire a ka, ca, sr, and vg into anything"

3. Will I have to modify anything to mount the new tranny to the crossmember?

Since the KA block is nearly identical to the NapZ motor(that came factory with the 720), it only stands to reason that the transmission would bolt directly(which it will). If putting an identical engine in place of the factory one, which bolts up to the transmission, I think it's a pretty safe bet that your transmission mount/crossmember can stay put.

4. What is the best fuel pump choice? Without having to get an extrenal fuel pressure rgulator?

Well, the BEST choice would probably be to use whatever pump matched the engine fuel system that the swap came out of. Since you're going to be using a 240sx fuel injection system(it doesn't sound like the 240sx block, however, is going to be the easiest route), the BEST thing for you to do would be to modify your fuel tank to accept a 240sx in-tank fuel pump.

5. Will I have to do anything special to my fuel system other than the pump?

Fuel lines and connections will have to be modified for fuel injection pressures, but I'm sure you already knew that. I think the hoses go from 1/4" to 5/16", but that's just the number off the top of my head. Try using the search function :P

Hope it helps... and way to have a sense of humor. The world is in need of people who can take a jab and roll with the punches.

Keep a record of your progress so it's easy for others to find the step-by-step process in the future. Good luck!

From what I've heard on the truck oil pan on the 240sx block is that you need to modify it to fit on a 240sx block. I chose to get a truck block (harder to find in my area, but not impossible). For the motor mounts, most I've seen have modified or made their own motor mount brackets to mactch the 720 frame mounts. I chose to modify/relocate my frame brackets to match the KA mounts.

281730505_large.jpg

281730506_large.jpg

For comparison the different motor mounts. 240sx, Hardbody and 720

281730502_large.jpg

• 3 months later...