300zx head bolts hex.

Pick'n'Pull has a '92 300zx that I'm pulling the transmission from. The heads are in the way of from of the trans bolts but they're like some sort of large allen wrench head.

Like this:

large105202.jpg

Any idea what size hex driver I need to pick up to pull the z32 head?

Thanks forum.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The best way to remove the Z32 tranny is to remove the rear trans mount and drop it about 6 inches or as much as you can. Use a 36" 3/8 extension and a wobbly to get the upper to bolts by going over the top of the trans. The sides should be accessible enough or you can use the extension again if you choose.

I'm going to say it again; I love a forum that is alive with knowledgeable/experience, situationally mature individuals (regardless of age). If I'd had posted this question on Hondatech, I would have gotten two dozen "your mom is the right size" bullshit and still never had an awesome.

The best way to remove the Z32 tranny is to remove the rear trans mount and drop it about 6 inches or as much as you can. Use a 36" 3/8 extension and a wobbly to get the upper to bolts by going over the top of the trans. The sides should be accessible enough or you can use the extension again if you choose.

I'm pretty close to having it drop, so I was wondering if I could just hit it from the back like I've done with Chevy transmissions. The way the head and wiring harness are wedged up against the firewall makes me wonder if I'll really be able to drop it far enough though.

HarborFreight has various sets. The $7 one goes up to 10mm and the $13 goes, I think, up to 17mm. I'm just wondering if HF sockets will survive being used to torque the VH45 head bolts if I decide to put in a fresh head gasket while the engine is out.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=hex

I'm going to say it again; I love a forum that is alive with knowledgeable/experience, situationally mature individuals (regardless of age). If I'd had posted this question on Hondatech, I would have gotten two dozen "your mom is the right size" bullshit and still never had an awesome.

I'm pretty close to having it drop, so I was wondering if I could just hit it from the back like I've done with Chevy transmissions. The way the head and wiring harness are wedged up against the firewall makes me wonder if I'll really be able to drop it far enough though.

HarborFreight has various sets. The $7 one goes up to 10mm and the $13 goes, I think, up to 17mm. I'm just wondering if HF sockets will survive being used to torque the VH45 head bolts if I decide to put in a fresh head gasket while the engine is out.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=hex

jdm.png

Depending on how high you've got the car in the air, you can drop it enough. This is how I always do it. You just need the car off the ground about 12"-18", it will drop and pivot on the engine mounts revealing the upper 2 bolts. Breaker bar + 36" extension and your done. Or if you've got one, cordless impact. :D The wiring harness is no big deal, I know it looks like there isn't much room, but once you drop it you'll see. Removing the head requires removing the plenum with is a huge PITA if it's still got the EGR hooked up. then the lower plenum, then the valve covers, then the heads. I don't know how far you've got it torn down already, just keep that in mind. If the upper plenum is on and it's got the EGR tubes attached you are going to be in for some serious work. You will likely need to just cut the EGR tubes in half, and talk about no space to work. hehe

Where did you find this car? Is it a TT? How many good parts are still on it? (Hint: You should take a picture and send it to me!)

Non turbo, Aztec Red (AJ4)

Looks decent, is that NA tranny going to be able to support your power needs?

Apparently the NA and TT transmissions are identical internally. The difference is the flywheel is 10mm larger on the TT (250mm vs 240mm NA). The stock NA clutch I think it rated up to 400 ft lbs which is plenty. There are also a slew of upgraded clutches if need be.

The car is in pieces. The intake plenum is sitting beside the car, I snagged the timing gears to make an art piece or something. What's strange is it looks like one of the pistons was scrubbed with steel wool or similar. Just a random observation.

Apparently the NA and TT transmissions are identical internally. The difference is the flywheel is 10mm larger on the TT (250mm vs 240mm NA). The stock NA clutch I think it rated up to 400 ft lbs which is plenty. There are also a slew of upgraded clutches if need be.

The car is in pieces. The intake plenum is sitting beside the car, I snagged the timing gears to make an art piece or something. What's strange is it looks like one of the pistons was scrubbed with steel wool or similar. Just a random observation.

Yep! I just looked it up and you are right. Looks like the bell housing size is the only difference. Good find!