Junkyard 210 Resurrection

I recently saved this one from destruction. Got it running yesterday after replacing the fuel filter and freshening the gas. It made the 17 mile trip home but it looks like the alternator is bad. The light was on for the whole trip and the battery was dead this morning so I'm charging it now so I can check the charging system here's some pics.

Engine before

210001.jpg

after a good hosing

210006.jpg

210005.jpg

Some shots of the cooked crumbling interior

210008.jpg

210009.jpg

and the outside

210012.jpg

210007.jpg

CIMG0247.jpg

Things to do:

Check charging system

Find out why speedo doesn't work

Find out why it has a horrible wobble at around 35 mph

get lights and electrical legal, they mostly work just missing rear passenger side brake and blinker.

If any one has any ideas on that wobble let me know its fine at speeds above and below but it shakes bad for about 2 or 3 mph around 35 or 40 disappears completely on either side of that range.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Find out why it has a horrible wobble at around 35 mph

get lights and electrical legal, they mostly work just missing rear passenger side brake and blinker.

If any one has any ideas on that wobble let me know its fine at speeds above and below but it shakes bad for about 2 or 3 mph around 35 or 40 disappears completely on either side of that range.

I had the exact same symptoms. It went away with new ball joints and tie rod ends.

Thats one sweet family freindly ride, any one with a love for datsuns and the need for car seats should get one.

No doubt I have 4 kids 2 of em in car seats so it works perfect. Keep them from tearing up my 620 too.

Looks like I need to look at the front end a little harder. Where they obviously bad dguy210?

Same problem, same fix, two of my 210s. And they looked dry and crusty. If the boots are busted, and it's been parked up that long, yes probably rusty/crunchy inside.

Yep ditto.

Alternator was bad. Thanx for the offer Dave but I already picked one up wish I had seen this before I had. Hopefully it's the only issue with the charging system.

does anyone have a wiring diagram for this in pdf??

I had a Toyota Lowrider minitruck that had that wobble issue. It turned out to be a front tire had a belt seperated. You could see the tire wobble if you jacked the truck up from the front center and spun the wheel by hand. It's worth a try, I took my truck to Midas, because I couldn't find a front end problem and the mechanic showed me the wobbly warped tire. I couldn't believe it, an honest mechanic at MIDAS!!! :poke:

By the way... GREAT SAVE!!!! The engine compartment looks like new again. Congrats :thumbup: on the "new" Datto

I'll send you a pm maybe you can email it to me.

I plan to check the tires after sitting as long as they have been the may not be round anymore, thanx for the reminder dirttrack

You can tell by looking if the steering linkage is bad. Busted grease boots doesnt tell you, mine are but linkage is good.

Have someone wiggle steering wheel while you watch the ilnkage. If it moves up and down any noticeable amount, that joint is bad.

Put the new alternator in and still no charging. I'm going to clean all the contacts and see how that helps tomorrow. Does any one know where the voltage regulator is on this thing? I can't find it Autozone does reference one though. Any ideas are welcome the old alternator was bad the new does show any change at the battery but has 21.5 volts on the port coming out the back that goes to the battery. It will occasionaly for a second or so show 13.7. What do you think?

Clean your contacts, check fusible links, double check grounds. some alternators don't say IR or ER... Pics of the alt..

I went thru 3 alternators from napa auto parts, that were "remanned". They ordered me 3 different ones, and not one of them were the same or even looked like the picture they had listed on their site. I finally said fuck it and ran the last one they gave me, which was the wrong one as well, didn't line up when installed...