Driveline issues

Silvester

1. After I installed the 3" lowering blocks i'm getting a SEVERE vibration only when I slow down after an excess of 40mph. Ive tried 1" carrier bearing spacer, and also a 2". Nothing will make the vibration go away, so Today i installed a newer driveshaft with good u-joints, a good rubber center carrier bearing along with a 2" spacer and yet again the same issue. I notice that the shaft doesn't but up all the way to the transmission but sits out about a quarter inch. The vibration has to be from the driveshaft not butting up to the tranny. Any experience, thoughts, input? Numerous people do the 3" blocks. I'm sure that i'm not the only one who experienced this. Its making me wanna go back to stock height

2. I ordered a rear output shaft seal and replaced it. This thing is leaking worse than my old one! angry.gif

(Timken 3771 output shaft seal) This is the one I ordered to replace it. This thing was only 1/2 the thickness of the OEM seal. Could it be the wrong part? Im assuming I installed it properly. Apply gear oil and set it in place flush with the bell housing end.

All i wanted to do was take my Datsun on a Sunday cruise...

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check and make sure there are no severe angles in your drive train. Try and imagine a smooth straight transition from tranny to drive line to rear end. My ujoint angles were way off and I had vibration and a loud knocking sound after lowering and a 5speed swap. You might need some tapered lowering blocks?

TIMKEN Part # 2016 Shaft Size: 1.181"; Housing Bore: 1.772"; Seal Width: 0.591"; Seal Outside Dia: 1.78"; Seal Lip Material: Nitrile; Housing Material: Steel; Max Temp: 225°F; Min Temp: -40°F; Seal Type: #; Press Fit

Trans. code F4W56A; 4 speed trans.

TIMKEN Part # 710324 Shaft Size: 1.378"; Housing Bore: 1.969"; Seal Width: 0.433"; Seal Outside Dia: 1.978"; Seal Lip Material: Nitrile; Housing Material: Steel; Max Temp: 225°F; Min Temp: -40°F; Seal Type: 320; Press Fit

Trans. code F4W71B; 4 speed trans.

TIMKEN Part # 3771

Trans. code F4W63; 4 speed trans.; F4W63A, R4W71A

Trans. code F4W71B; 4 speed trans.; F4W63A, R4W71A

Trans. code F4W63L; 4 speed trans.; F4W63A, R4W71A

TIMKEN Part # 223520 Shaft Size: 1.378"; Housing Bore: 1.969"; Seal Width: 0.315"; Seal Outside Dia: 1.98"; Seal Lip Material: Nitrile; Housing Material: Steel; Max Temp: 225°F; Min Temp: -40°F; Seal Type: 350; Press Fit

Trans. code F4W63L; 4 speed trans.; F4W63A

Trans. code F4W63; 4 speed trans.; F4W63A

i have belltech 6202 2deg angled blocks in back.

if you have the old seal measure it with a caliper.

I just went thru this with a Input satrans shaft seal/ They listed 3. I just measured but go mine from the dealer.

I thought nissan use a common rear seal myself thru all the years.but i guess they are different.

make sure bolts ar tight

jack up all 4 wheels and put in 3rd gear and look underneath!!!!!!!!

Could it be the wrong part? could be correct part number but still wrong seal in pakage

Thanks man. I ended up buying an inclinometer to measure the differences in driveline angles. Ill see what degree shims i REALLY need. Ill also ordered the right seal (hopefully) from rockauto and ill be installing brand neww u-joints and a center carrier bearing today.