Urgent help needed! Stranded 710 in CA.

Will

I picked up my 710 yesterday in Sacramento, and I'm having a weird problem that's left me stranded somewhere near Bakersfield - the car was driving along just fine and suddenly the power cut off - it acted as if the ignition was shut off (headlights still worked, but the motor died and all of the gauges went to zero.) I checked all of the wiring underhood, and the most obvious thing was the "Neutral relay" which had a burnt wire. I spliced in a new wire, but no change.

I went off in search of parts, and when I came back the car started right up! Drove another 150 miles and was getting 29mpg. We stopped to get gas, drove to a restaurant, and the car konked out again. an hour later it started up but then died again after driving a hundred feet.

Any ideas about what could be causing the problem?

I checked the wiring diagram, and the Neutral Relay seems to hook up to the Starter Interlock, and Emissions Solenoids... but it is currently sporting a Weber without the emissions solenoids, a disabled starter interlock, and the transmission has been converted to a ZX 5-speed, so I'm not even sure if the relay controls anything.

Any suggestions about what could be causing the trouble? The ignition switch can take some jiggling to turn, but not much more than other old cars I've driven. Are there any wiring bypasses that I could run to test things out or get this car mobile once again?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah - I'm going to try and clean the connections tomorrow morning. Hopefully I can figure out what is going on - everything was fine until the power cut out!

i have had issues with the wire connections at the ballast and the distributor. it would die like the key was turned off. it have loose fitting push on wire terminals. good luck Bro!!

If it was the ballast it would still fire on start but stall as soon as you release the key. Could be the coil when it gets hot.

Just re read the post. interlock switch wouldn't shut off power when running. Might prevent starter but you now have a 5 seed. Gauges to zero means loss of power.

Would the starter work when everything shut off????

It has petronix ignition, and the p.o. replaced the fusible links with maxi fuses, so there have been some electrical changes.

When it dies out, the starter won't turn. When the car dies and I turn the ignition to "on," nothing happens - no starter, no gauges. I'm not sure why, but it seems to be temporarily cured by waiting.

If any electrical geniuses out there are having a slow Memorial Day Sunday morning and want to help out with troubleshooting, I'll be here: (212) 470-7219

I'll still be checking this page too, whenever I get a chance.

The starter won't turn when the car dies (though it does turn if I hook it up to 12v directly)

When the car dies and I try to re-start it, nothing happens when I turn the ignition switch.

If it was the ballast it would still fire on start but stall as soon as you release the key. Could be the coil when it gets hot.

Just re read the post. interlock switch wouldn't shut off power when running. Might prevent starter but you now have a 5 seed. Gauges to zero means loss of power.

Would the starter work when everything shut off????

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I checked my ignition switch: no power. I traced the wire back to the janky maxi-fuses that replaced the fusible links, cleaned the contacts, and it is up and running again.

Time to get on the road and resume the travel east!