Steering Wheel

yoursurfer

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get an adapter for a Datsun Z. they are the same spline as the 521.

Or just find a nice Z car wheel and it will bolt rite on. have to mod the turn signal cancel stick on the back of the wheel to make the signals cancel. about 2 minutes:cool:

The only way I think it'll work is to take apart an old stock wheel, and have an adapter made that bolts to the center hub on that, with it's own set of threaded holes for the grant wheel. As far as I know, nobody makes a bolt on hub for us :(.

You mean like this.....

DSC01352.jpg

:)

-Brian

all the datsun splines are the same.....getting an adapter to fit the splines is pretty easy. It's getting one that will actually engage the horn contact and the blinker canceler that's the problem. I did something similar to what Brian did. All the grant adapters I've seen used leave about a 1.5" gap between the column and the back of the adapter.

all the datsun splines are the same.....getting an adapter to fit the splines is pretty easy. It's getting one that will actually engage the horn contact and the blinker canceler that's the problem. I did something similar to what Brian did. All the grant adapters I've seen used leave about a 1.5" gap between the column and the back of the adapter.

Yea! Like this. I even had to put a few washers between the steering wheel and the spline so it would not wiggle. I also have to turn the turn signal off after I turn.:D

By the way, Yes!, The little button on the column is my horn.

I still think Mickey Mouse owned my truck sometime in the past. I have seen so much Mickey Mouse stuff on my truck. Like tape holding the door panel on or bailing wire to hold the gas tank up!

I have fixed most of it, But you never know what I might find next.:rolleyes:

PICT0184.jpg

I found this on summit racing, Grant still makes a kit, info is below, out of stock but they say it will ship in 3 wks

Part Number: GRT-4591

Installation Kit Finish: Matte black

Installation Kit Material: Die-cast aluminum

Quantity: Sold as a kit.

Steering Wheel Installation Kit, Matte Black, Aluminum, Nissan, 521/620 Pickup, Kit

• 1 month later...

Just modify the kit so the turn cancellation works... I think if you find a thin metal tube you could probably slide it over the original turn cancellation and just solder it on. Then just find something to cover the gap left over.

I called grant direct and they dont even have the prints for the adapter for a 521 anymore and cant remember who did the casting for them... Nardi says they still have the adapters for the early Datsun trucks so that could be an option for you, except for the fact Nardi wheels are pricy...Ive spent $$$ on 2 of them :blink::o

I bought a grant wheel and they also had an adapter for a 510. It had the turn signal cancelation as well. You should be able to order it with out a problem. I don't remember where I got the part number from but I got everything.

I don't know if the 521 wheels are the same as the 510 but if it is then you should be able to order an adapter.

I dont even want to think about how much the real nardi adapter is, lol. I payed like $150 for a used nardi wheel in my last s13 that needed rewrapped :P. I was lucky enough to get my current one for free though :D. Anyway I think the easiest and cheapest solution is to get the plate made and convert your old wheel to a kind of conversion plate like stated earlier.

I agree that the cheapest way is to tear apart an old wheel, but seeing how many people need replacement steering wheels I think the effort would be better spent in finding a way to recondition the stock wheels, rather than tearing them apart. Once you tear them apart, there's no putting them back together, and slowly they'll start disappearing. I'm planning on trying to recondition my stock wheel when I get the chance, so I'll let everyone know how that goes.

The one other thing that should be mentioned is this: The stock 521 wheel sticks out pretty far... if you cut out just the hub and modify it to take an adaptor, then bolt an aftermarket wheel to it, you may end up with a steering wheel that sticks out even further than a stock one. If you go this route, make sure you take into account the amount of dish your desired steering wheel has, as well as the thickness of any adaptors.

Thats a pretty bitchin Steering Wheel.

Grant? is it? I would like to replace my factory wheel...but would want a wheel at least stock size.

I have 245's all the way around so a large wheel will be a must.

dd:fu:

Its a Nardi wheel they are EXPENSIVE $350 bucks without the adapter :blink: Thank god for discounts/deals :D

• 5 months later...

Old thread, I know, but I've got a Nardi wheel I'm mounting in my 521, and apparently you can't get new Nardi hubs for the Datsuns anymore. However, there is an adapter that'll mount a Nardi/Personal wheel on a Momo hub. From what I've heard, the Momo hubs for a 510 and 240sx (and apparently some older Skylines) will fit the pre-'86 Nissan/Datsun trucks, and should be a lot easier to find. I'm picking up a used Momo hub tonight, so I'll do a quick test fit in my truck and see if the fit is better than a Grant adapter.