Steering Wheel

yoursurfer

not that this will be much help, but the splines on pretty much all the datsuns are the same. You can put almost any dato wheel on any other dato....the problem is the distance from the back of the wheel to the column housing. The mount for a 620 will work on the 521, but it leaves about 1.5" of gap. Physically getting the wheel to mount onto the steering shaft is the easy part.....making the blinker cancel, the horn work, and making it look good cosmetically is the real issue. At least with the Grant adapters.....most of the datsun ones I've seen all have use the same..or very similar aluminum castings for the mount to the shaft....they all have different bells for the backside.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just modify the kit so the turn cancellation works... I think if you find a thin metal tube you could probably slide it over the original turn cancellation and just solder it on. Then just find something to cover the gap left over.

Put a late '70s 280z wheel on my 620 and there was a gap and no signal return. The under side of the wheel had two short things that looked like roll pins but they wouldn't reach the turn signal. I found a nail just thick enough to drive up into the roll pin to act as an extension, and trimmed the length, then did the other side. Worked perfectly and no problems for years.

When I installed my720 column the wheel fit perfectly and I remover the nails.

mike

Alright, well I managed to be an idiot and misread the Momo application chart... it's the 240Z hub that'll fit, not the 240SX. Fortunately I know someone that might get some use out of the hub after all...

I think it says on the first page that the Grant hub will work, but I don't think there are any adapters from the Grant hub to a Nardi wheel, so Momo it is. I'm just waiting on the kit to get shipped. Should be a couple more weeks...

1967-72 Datsun Pickup

Clearance!!

$16.99

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/5280,1064_Grant-Steering-Wheel-Adaptors.html?itemNo=grant

i got one... but haven't installed it yet...

it is chrome and appears to have turn signal cancellation

i will take pics of it tonight... if i remember

later,

chris

the larger splines that fit are on Datsuns, mainly the Z, up through 1983. 280ZX or older. 300ZX + changed to a smaller spline.

Is Grant the same as most aftermarket 6 bolt hubs? I just bought a six bolt "240Z" adaptor off eBay. Hard to find, and had to get this one from Thailand. It arrived in good shape. I have not yet test fitted it though.

back in 1998 I bought a Grand adaptor from Shuck's auto. had to order it back then. Last i checked years ago they were no longer made. wow, I'm getting olda' ;)

ab1b_1.JPG

I'm ordering a ricer steering wheel for my turbo Z. the kind of nitrous buttons! :D

410_L.jpg

Yes, that is the one I bought years ago. Not a six bolt but it fit the wheel i used in the 280ZX I had. The black bell shaped piece went back too far and hit the plastic column cover in the Z. I had to trim the metal a little. otherwise, it worked perfect. Turn signals, horn and all.

So, as it seems like this has sort of become the "steering wheel" thread...:blink:...does anyone out there know of a Personal adapter? I read up the page a bit about a Nardi wheel having a similar bolt pattern tothe Personal wheel. I have a really nice wooden Personal that I actually got out of a trashcan!:D! I actually noticed the huge boxes of Truckin' magazines first, as I walked by, and then after pulling the mags out, there was this super nice wood steering wheel! :eek: I think it would look great on my 521. I have checked Ebay and it seems that they are really rare...they always cost a bunch!

I am running a 620 wheel right now, and it is working great. I did have to modify the horn contact a bit. I also had to pull the plastic cover piece up a bit to fit a little better!

Any help would be swell.

Nardi and Personal are the same company now, IIRC. I think it's Personal now. As for adapters... unless you manage to find a used one somewhere, you can't get 'em. Only recourse is modifying a different hub to fit. Momo did make a hub that fit, and you can buy adapters to fit a Nardi/Personal wheel on a Momo hub. However, you might have an issue finding the Momo hubs... either get one used or call a local shop that deals with imports and ask them if they can track one down for you. If all else fails... either get a Grant hub and adapt it to fit a Nardi wheel, or hack the hub out of an old Datsun wheel and modify it. Any route you take it'll probably cost a little money and time.

BTW, what's your Personal wheel look like? I just bought one used, and after looking on their website I can't find one that looks the same... super nice though.

Hey thanks for the 411. I will try to get a pic up here asap to show you what it looks like. Pretty sweet wood with aluminum center section. No horn button or bolts or anything like that, after all...it came from a trashcan!:blink:

Only recourse is modifying a different hub to fit. Momo did make a hub that fit, and you can buy adapters to fit a Nardi/Personal wheel on a Momo hub. However, you might have an issue finding the Momo hubs... either get one used or call a local shop that deals with imports and ask them if they can track one down for you.

You can still buy new MOMO hubs for the 280Z. It's the same spline count and diameter as the early Datto's.

I have a part number somewhere. I'll see if I can find it :blink:

Redeye: 280Z hubs are the same? IIRC the Momo 240Z/510/pickup hub is part number 3503. I got it off the Momo Canada Application Chart. Not sure about the 280Z...

Momo Hub Application Chart

Yep, 280Z hub: part number 3503. You've gotta check under Nissan.

Denver: I bought mine for $40... it says Nardi on the front though. Probably pretty similar to yours... medium-coloured wood with a black line painted all the way around the wheel on the front... three spoke aluminium frame. All three spokes are on the bottom half though, angled down a bit... I'll get a pic. I know it's not a current wheel because IIRC it's Personal now (not Nardi), and all the similar wheels I've seen online have the spokes evenly spaced around the wheel. No bolts or horn button for mine either, but the horn button apparently attaches to the hub, not the wheel, and I'm getting all the bolts I need with the hub and adapter. Not a cheap process though... $40 for the wheel, the Momo hub is over $100, probably another $50+ for the horn button and adapter. Not to mention I recently picked up a Recaro seat that I really want to mount in my truck, but it's a race seat and there's so little room in the truck that I'll need a quick-release system for the steering wheel so's I can get in and out of the Datsun. The quick release kit is another $100+... But what's a racing seat without a proper harness? And this was supposed to be a budget build...

Edited by pope_face

1967-72 Datsun Pickup

Clearance!!

$16.99

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/5280,1064_Grant-Steering-Wheel-Adaptors.html?itemNo=grant

i got one... but haven't installed it yet...

it is chrome and appears to have turn signal cancellation

i will take pics of it tonight... if i remember

later,

chris

I had my girlfriend buy one of these for her 521 and I put it on yesterday and it fits good the horn works as well as the blinker cancellation still has a gap of about 1/8"-1/4" but it looks alot better than the 1/2" or more it had before

Clayton

• 12 years later...
On 2/28/2008 at 7:24 PM, 521Lvr said:

Get an adapter for a Datsun Z. they are the same spline as the 521.

Or just find a nice Z car wheel and it will bolt rite on. have to mod the turn signal cancel stick on the back of the wheel to make the signals cancel. about 2 minutes:cool:

Hey, I'm real late to the topic, but I'm getting closer to doimg the same thing, any idea on specifics? Or just adapter for a 69-70 Datsun z?