L20ET into 620?

gingg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

does a l20et (6 cylnder) bolt into a 620 with out any modifications apart from radiator moved to the front of the grill?

quick reply quick please

not that easy. probably fire wall issues too. look at it like theres an extra cylender on the front and the rear of the engine

the answer, is no. however its doable.

you're gonna have to make new mounts, move the rad, (and cut the core support just the get the motor in.) an L6 is 31in from trans mounting surface to water pump pulley. it'll just barely fit.

That said, I'll be swapping an l28 into my 620 this summer as part of my 4x4 conversion. if you have the skills, then do it, if not, stick with the 4cyl

See here:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/26947-project-620z/

apart from radiator moved to the front of the grill?

so, that was Topless620's solution. One that I'm not sure will work in the long run. those motors need a fair bit of cooling, and I'm not entirely convinced a relatively small converted intercooler will work effectively.

I'll be relocating the rad to the space where the battery should be, building a cowling that pulls air in through from under the pass headlights and vents it out the hood.

This is very close to the edge of not do able. Technical problems can be avoided or solved in advance by careful measuring and doing lots of research. In my opinion, (and it is only that, my opinion) if you have to cut the engine bay fire wall or rad support then this motor does not fit and does not belong there. The only redeeming factor for cutting, is if you do it right and do a good job. I can appreciate a good job but cutting the body should be avoided at all costs if at all possible. There are lighter 4 cylinders with as much power that fit and are well documented.

my chassie is 72.5 so my enigne mounts are not in the middle there on the front.. where is the engine mounts on a l20 in the middle or front?

The 620 used all three L engines L16/18 and L20B. The mounts are all different but all in the same place.

I see you're from 'down there' and the 620s got A series engines? The L series were more or less in the middle of the block.

ours came with j15s. here is a photo of the engine mount.. what mount would be a better choice for the l20et convision.. ? as i can get ahold of another chassie

Uhh sorry if you cant understand it,, but yeah i tryed to draw an outline of them lol.. enginemonts.jpg

its just going to be sad, another datsun project that ends up with a truck that is all hacked up and never finished

-So if you cant buy mounts and buy a can-am box for it, its never gonna get done?-

That's awfully presumptuous of you, and it's seriously tiring to hear that same line recycled over and over here.

Hey gingg you should just swap in a KA, the internet says you're never going to finish a 6 swap.

Hey gingg you should just swap in a KA, the internet says you're never going to finish a 6 swap.

sometimes, if you need to ask...... your in over your head.

some questions show inexperience, inexperience + to much/complicated work = poor work/abandoned project

it dosent get thrown out there just for teh lulz.... its because weve seen it plenty of times

Im not saying he should or shouldnt do it just pointing out thats why that gets said

some questions show inexperience, inexperience + to much/complicated work = poor work/abandoned project

There is just as much chance that the person will rise up to it. A challenge is the best way to learn. The point I'm making is that negative thoughts beget negative actions, and every time there is a thread about some swap idea someone has that isn't a ka,sr,vg,ect... that line gets thrown in on the first page. If we give the guy the info he needs, maybe he'll deliver, and in that make his Datsun owning experience even better. Support and enthusiasm go hand in hand.