Vk45de 210

2eDeYe' date='18 May 2011 - 08:37 AM' timestamp='1305733064' post='478171']

Stop trying to talk him out of the big motor....I want to seee it in that engine bay :D

I would love to see the motor swapped in there as well.

I have no doubt that it will fit.

My concern is powertrain management.

With not only being a CAN-BUS system, you have to think above that.

NATS, BCM, shifters.

This thing will never run.

And after cutting up the firewall and the tranny tunnel to get this VK to fit...

Just to realize that it will never fire. Sad day.

All that work was put in, and now it's half the car it was before.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

naw its got a blue print and balanced a15 in it... but the guy i bought it from put synthetic in it and said all the oil ran out the seals... the 5 spd auto tranny is from the infiniti... and flat cat thank you for bringing those concerns up... ive been debating on engine management... i will be in contact with a master infiniti tech to discuss what my options are on engine management... no cutting will be made on the car until i know for a fact that i can make it run... and yall could be right... i may get very deep into and not be able to use the engine... boo hoo... ill still have a completely prepped drag car that any carburated small block would run in... in which case i would have to step outside the nissan family to achieve decent power for a reasonable price... i know i can throw in a ka or sr and make major power too but i think if i go thru all the trouble of prepping for a v8 i should use a v8... and chevy sbc would be the easiest thing to throw in... all i can do is try... please feel free to let me know of anything you think of that could not allow a successful build... all criticism appreciated

he owns the car and hes posted pictures, so hes already doing better then most of the people that want to make these swaps. it was an a15 5speed, not running for some reason

I'd get it running, and rock it.

Then later think about compatible swaps. (L, LZ, KA, CA, and God forbid, SR.)

He mentioned wanting to do something different than his friends...How bout rocking a classic, and saving money.

That sounds different enough from what his friends are doing.

I would love to have a B310 2 door.

And to know that one more just got taken off this land...

:bye:

i wish more people would do the L swap, so i could follow someone elses guide, lol. no way vk210 will do it judging by his posts.

vk, are you sure that car doesnt have a 5 speed in it? i cant image there being too many vinyl topped 210s being sold in DFW recently

its not a vinyl top... thats primer... the previous owner had made a custom hatch out of carbon fiber and kevlar and lexan and only primered after doing so... someone busted the back window out while he owned it... that is the reason i was needing to get that rear window... i bought the car with out a tranny in it... so its possible that it was 5 speed previously... im still in contact with the previous owner so i can ask him for you if you want... sorry i misunderstood the original question... yea it was on cl recently... im sorry if yall dont think i can do it... ima go get back at it... see if i can get this engine out of there before dinner time...

VK45 is too wide to fit between the strut towers of a 210. You can still fit it, but it would need re-engineering the suspension. If a HEMI 392 can be fitted (and it was) then a VK45 can be done too. They created a new tube frame to fit the 392, so basically it's a drag racing frame with a Datsun body.

Datsun 210 (B310) and 510 engine bays are about the same size. B210 has smaller engine bay than 510.

ok got the motor out... that engine bay is filthy... bout to go steam clean it... relocating and cutting stuff is definately part of this project... but from my measurements of the engine bay and the measurements of the engine i see no reason y its not going to fit... i have already spoken with a friend and he will be cutting me some solid mounts on the cnc... and as far as suspension... thats a no brainer as to whether it is getting a different one... thanks again for the support... now gotta get back at it before the wife gets home... lol

As of this morning the car was sittin like this

IMGA0379.jpg

IMGA0378.jpg

A little while later it looked like this

IMGA0394.jpg

IMGA0389.jpg

Then took a few hour break and then couldnt help my self to get back at it lol

IMGA0399.jpg

The car had an ac in it which i believe was aftermarket so it took me a little bit longer messin with those lines and dismantling the condenser

IMGA0400.jpg

So after side tracking with random shit under the hood i grabbed the engine hoist

IMGA0404.jpg

This is what it looked like before i cleaned on it a little

IMGA0410.jpg

After i took all these pics and got all cleaned up i couldnt quit hovering over the car and thinking how i didnt like that grudge all over the place so i cleaned the majority of the engine bay but it was too dark to take pics... will do first thing in the a.m. sorry

i even have pics of close ups of the measuring tape on the length width and height of engine, tranny, seperate and together, and the engine bay as well...

if you've got a moment :lol:

reckon you could you tell me some rough dimensions? say from front to back (where the bellhousing bolts to, to the front crank pulley), maybe left to right (the far corners of the left and right timing covers, manifolds dont matter much) and maybe a vague idea of top to bottom (say sump pan to the inner corner of a cam cover)?

id dare say its far too big for my kind of enginebay being quad cam and all, but i saw a 351 (in person) that fit quite nicely between the towers of a 620. the closest problem was the steering box

yea the steering box most definately has to be relocated along with the master cylinder... yea i will try to get the measurements for you... i have to take my daughter to the dr this morning so forgive me if it takes a lil while...

So i did have all the pics needed... although when i get a chance today i will take more accurate measurements now that the engine is outta there:

firewall to core support

IMGA0352.jpg

top of tower to tower

IMGA0350.jpg

crossmember to hood

IMGA0354.jpg

back to front of engine

IMGA0348.jpg

oil pan to around the tops of the head, in fact thats the cam cover on the left there

IMGA0346.jpg

furthest corner to corner of the heads on the front of engine

IMGA0345.jpg

itb's is the plan... im just not sure how long the runners need to be yet... further research needed in that department... i believe i will be keeping the stock exhaust manifolds up to the cats... then do custom piping from there... the stock ones hug the block so nice i cant see need to build new ones... thanks infiniti for the freebee... lol... after doing some reading im starting to consider sellin my tranny and gettin a 6 spd and adapter plate... not sure how the ecu you will react to that tho... further research needed there too

i dunno anything definite, but from the vague words i hear about the place, the stock ecm really doesnt like the auto missing

sounds like itd be easier to just go full management from the get-go. youd need to find a tuner with some fair mad skillz though

• 2 weeks later...

lol... after doing some reading im starting to consider sellin my tranny and gettin a 6 spd and adapter plate... not sure how the ecu you will react to that tho... further research needed there too

If it's not OBD-II, you should be fine. There's a separate computer for the trans. On my SR20DET and one of my KA24E swaps I ran the auto ECU (no speed limiter :) ) with no problems.