l20b cam issue?

rigo

Hey guys I'm in the middle of re building my l20b and I ran into a little issue. I was starting to torque the bolt for the cam gear, so I started moving the cam untill it reached the desired marking for the timing.. well while I was turning it it started getting really really hard to move it to the point were it felt it would not move no more almost as if one of the lobes could not move the valve spring down.. the lobe was the one for cylinder 1 intake.. also the chain is not installed ao its not like the chain is getting stuck.. any help with the problem? Thanks in advance - Rigo

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea its on a engine stand.. I got the head re done at a machine shop, valve job and everything.. the pistons and connecting roda amd bearings are all new.. in sure I put everything back by the book..

What I mean, is, if the head is on the engine, and one of the pistons is at tdc, the valves can hit it if your just rotating the cam. Don't force it, or it will bend the valves. turn the crank so the piston moves down, and then the top end should be able to rotate. That's the only clearance issue I could see if everything else is done by the book.

Ok so yea I moved the crank around a little bit then rotated the cam it it moved! So this means I'm cranking the piston up too high? Sorry I'm so dumb about it this is my first build..

Do not turn the cam without the timing chain installed especially if you arent sure where the pistons are.Your rebuilt engine may need to be fixed before you finish it.Read the manual.I would get the chain on correctly before tightening the cam bolt.You should of had the #1 piston at TDC and the cam at TDC before you put the head on.Then timing chain without spinning anything.

I agree the best thing to have done would have been to align the cam to TDC (Top Dead Center) before bolting the head on the block. No worries, we have all be there before having trouble with our project cars. This is one of the reasons we come here - to share information and experiences.

You can try turning the crankshaft a few degrees from TDC to lower the piston slightly from TDC (I would guess 30 degrees of crank rotation) but just beware that the tool you have holding the timing chain tensioner can move and let the tensioner piston out which would require you to remove the timing cover in order to get it re-aligned again. Once you have the pistons slightly down from the top you can proceed to align the camshaft to TDC. After that return the crank back to TDC.

You did use a tool to hold the tensioner piston in?

TimingChainTool.jpg

You can watch this set of informative videos from ratsun member Hainz for timing chain setup Timing Chain Videos Link. There is some good information there on this process.

Take your time, read the manual and watch the videos. With a little patience it will all come together. If you have any problems with the way it runs after putting it together check the compression on all cylinders to make sure none of the valves were bent. If you do find a cylinder that is way low on the compression you may have to pull the head back off to replace a bent valve (don't beat yourself up over it - shit happens). Valves should be available from sources like rockauto.com and they are not too expensive. It's just the pain in the but to take it all apart again.

Good luck man!

Thanks a lot man. I don't have anything on the block. No chain, tensioner, or guides.. I baugt this l20b bottom block re done from hopsing machine down here in san diego ca.. so I'm just putting everything back together from the ground up.. I'm just gaa keep studying everything amd make it right (this is gana be my daily driver once I'm done) ima post up pics of my 510 wagon build in a few days .. this timing thing is just setting me back.

How hard did you push on the bar/breaker bar/wrench? It's not that hard to bend a valve, I did the same thing a while back and removed the head to adjust the cam as I had the timing chain pinned, I reused the head gasket as it was only torked for 5 minutes, and when I pulled it apart, it came off clean, I have been using that engine daily since, it's been a couple months now with no problems yet. Needless to say I am hoping it doesn't become an issue reusing it. I hate to say this, but if you pushed say a hundred pounds trying to turn the cam, you should probably pull it apart. I have bent 2 valves just laying the head on its face because the cam was holding the valves open, so the weight of the head was resting on the valves.

There is no reason to be torqueing the cambolt yet anyways. The cam bolt has to be removed to install the timing chain anyways. Unless you got some cheap chain with a master link.

You need to de-adjust all your valves, and then set crank and cam to TDC, then install chain, guides, and tensioner. Now you can torque the cam bolt.