White smoke. Intake mani questions

So I have a ton of white smoke around the manifold. Starts after 10 seconds or so and gets worse and worse. Smells sweet too so I'm thinking maybe it's loose at the head and coolants getting sucke back in or burned right there. But before tearing everything off to retighten the studs (if you're gonna fix it you might as well do it right) I figured I'd try messing with what looks to be some jank plumbing on the manifold. There's a hose running from the back of it to the right side, toward the back of the car. Almost a full circle. I would have pics but photobuckets gone screwy on me. Anyway I took the hose off to see what I was working with because the book isn't very clear and there isn't much on here about it... It looks like deleted emissions stuff. An elbow pipe pointing toward the front, an some kind of valve pointing backwards. Well after that didn't tell much I put the hose back loosely and decided to try timing. Started back up and no more smoke. .....? WTF? There is still white smoke and water out the tailpipe even when warmed up which has always been the case. The carb was dialed waaaaayyy rich so I'm thinking that's a good place to start. Any ideas gents? This is the freshly built l20 w/ old weber 32/36 btw

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most L16 intakes have water flow from the head traveling up each runner and out a fitting below and in front of the carb. From here it works it's way around the front of the motor to the lower rad inlet to the water pump. The hose connection near the carb may be rotten or loose and dribbling down onto the hot exhaust. I've had this happen.

Need pictures.

I was told the head was fresh out of the machine shop for a port and polish but The broken exhaust manifold screw makes me think otherwise. They wouldve had that taken care of. The majority of the smoke is suddenly gone after i messed with that hose. I just want to be sure my hoses are routed correctly at the back of the manifold. Thanks for the replies. :D

That loop isn't supposed to be there.

The valve that points backwards and has the loop is the PCV. The disconnected hose underneath that mess is supposed to go there. The other port that the loop is in should be plugged (it's not original, it was the old L18 vacuum splitter port), that's the case of someone deleting emissions stuff without having a clue of what they were doing, so they looped a hose around the very large vacuum leak they created.

What's happened is that metal tube under the manifold (which goes to the crankcase vent) has gotten rotated 90 degrees. The unattached bracket on the tube used to be bolted to the rear engine lift point, which I assume is probably gone (it was attached to the rear exhaust manifold stud). That's why the PCV hose is out of position.

It also looks like the brake booster port is hooked up to something- hopefully not to the distributor!

That's a real mess you've got there.

ya no kidding. you should see the wiring i'm sifting through. joker had a separate switch/relays hooked to the high-beams because the factory switch was blowing fuses. i.e. no low beams! at least the majority of it is still there. i'm getting closer and closer to the road though. thanks again! all the smoke is out the tailpipe now. i'm going to go try a few things to get rid of it.

You are the son of a 100 ratsun fathers!!!!!!!!!!!EZ wasnt it. Couldnt believe the hook up(hoses) you had there. WTF????

Go thru the light circut slowly. Most likely it could be the relay behind the strut tower near the fuse box. Most time its lows work then go to HIGH all the lights go out. Thats a relay.

if all fails if you outside light works were it goes to low beam and high beam you could just buy a H4 harness and use that to run you new highbeams.

You just use the pass side connector out light connector and plugs in to the harness . Its jsut triggers the new harness with the relays.