200SX VG Strut Bump Steer Spacer- Now taking orders

Here is the latest out of the Fast Guido Motorsport's workshop from the past week, bump steer spacers for the S12 200sx VG strut, that adapt to the stock 510 steering arm. 54mm on the top side for the larger bottom hole on the 200sx strut, 40mm hole on the bottom for the 510 steering arm. After I showed these on the Realm and here in the " Let's see some machine work" thread, some people have shown interest in getting some made. Price on a pair of these spacers is $100.00 plus shipping by USPS priority mail. I can make them in either 1.25" ,1.125" or 1.00" spacer height with a .25" high spigot. If you want to pay by Pay Pal then add 3 %. After I get commitments on how many people want them, I will then order the material. I will then collect the money after they are completed.

DSC00006-3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a great deal the only other person selling them sells them for 130 plus shipping as i said on the realm i want 2 sets of the 1.25. this is a must have if you are running the 86-87 200sx v6 struts

This is a great deal the only other person selling them sells them for 130 plus shipping as i said on the realm i want 2 sets of the 1.25. this is a must have if you are running the 86-87 200sx v6 struts

Got you down for two pairs of 1.25" ones

If you lower the car the lower control arm is no longer at the optimum angle (slightly angled down towards the out side of the car). There for the angle is more straight across (not optimum). The bump steer spacer, or roll center adjuster, pushes the outer end of the LCA back down where it should be. All this prevents unwanted steering when going over bumps.

I think I explained it correctly. Please let me know if I didn't.

bumpsteer2.jpg

This kinda helps, but it should be at an angle at stock height and when corrected.

rca-x.jpg

But anyway, If I go with the 200sx struts I think I'll need something more than an inch and this is a good price!

I don't really know why people in datsun circles refer to them as bump steer spacers. Your suspension arms and tie rods will still be going through the same arc as they did when stock, it's just perhaps better to be at the section of arc when the LCA and tie rod are near stock location. They're more appropriately referred to as roll center adjusters, attempting to fix (decrease) the increased roll couple on a lowered car.

http://www.meganracing.com/tech/faqs.asp?id=106&subject=Suspension:%20%20What%20are%20Roll%20Center%20Adjusters?

2102011_174131.jpg

2102011_174138.jpg

2102011_174145.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't really know why people in datsun circles refer to them as bump steer spacers. Your suspension arms and tie rods will still be going through the same arc as they did when stock, it's just perhaps better to be at the section of arc when the LCA and tie rod are near stock location. They're more appropriately referred to as roll center adjusters, attempting to fix (decrease) the increased roll couple on a lowered car.

http://www.meganraci...er%20Adjusters?

2102011_174131.jpg

2102011_174138.jpg

2102011_174145.jpg

actually thats not true.

wat u posted is true if ur 510 had a sla setup( short, long arm) but since it is indeed strut and not upper and lower a arms the physics of it are way different. these are actually bump steer spacers. as the lca travels upward on the car the tierod travels too. if they are not on the exact same plain with the exact same lengths pivot to pivot u get bump steer. it gets worse the more the lca changes angle. so by putting it back down to where it wood be stock but still having the struts lowered u are correcting the bump steer. all strut setups have bump steer due to the fact that there is no upper arm and the change during travel isnt a consistent one like in a sla setup. but figuring where the "bump" steer will be during travel can have good side affect and is used in racing along with steering geometry to create akerman geometry in the steering.

u were on the right track but just looked up the wrong suspension type since the upper arm dictates alot in the geometry in the sla setup u showed

actually thats not true.

wat u posted is true if ur 510 had a sla setup( short, long arm) but since it is indeed strut and not upper and lower a arms the physics of it are way different. these are actually bump steer spacers. as the lca travels upward on the car the tierod travels too. if they are not on the exact same plain with the exact same lengths pivot to pivot u get bump steer. it gets worse the more the lca changes angle. so by putting it back down to where it wood be stock but still having the struts lowered u are correcting the bump steer. all strut setups have bump steer due to the fact that there is no upper arm and the change during travel isnt a consistent one like in a sla setup. but figuring where the "bump" steer will be during travel can have good side affect and is used in racing along with steering geometry to create akerman geometry in the steering.

u were on the right track but just looked up the wrong suspension type since the upper arm dictates alot in the geometry in the sla setup u showed

Not really...they're pretty much the same. What you said is the same for either type - you can have equal or different changes in angle of the tie rod and LCA on either setup depending on how it's built. The point was that they don't really change anything in terms of actual bump steer geometry since they don't change the relationship between the LCA and tie rod, but yes, since they move the LCA and tie rod closer to a stock angle, the changes in angle when going over a bump are more like they would be at stock height, but if you have an equal height of compression (ie arm angle changes equally) with the lowered car with spacers compared to a stock car without then the bump steer will be the same. Fortunately, most people run stiffer springs on a lowered car, so this isn't likely to happen and thus the bump steer is lessened. That doesn't change the point that more importantly they're correcting poor suspension geometry by raising the roll center and shortening the roll couple.

t_rollcenter.jpg

The VG bump spacers (RCA) are completed. For the guys that ordered them, please contact me with your address and how you want to pay.

DSC00001-6.jpg

DSC00008-4.jpg

Here are some notes on installation;

1. Be sure to clean the surface on which the BS contacts on the steering arm and also the spigot on the arm. I made these spacers for a non- slop fit. If they won't go use emery cloth and/or Scotchbrite to remove any rust or paint.

I bead blasted these;

DSC00003-5.jpg

2. Also clean the bottom surface on the VG strut and the area where the BS spigot goes into. There is usually rust on these surfaces and sometimes there is welding spatter on the inner surface. Remove any spatter and clean as above.

This strut shows rust on the spigot hole;

DSC00005-6.jpg

This strut the area cleaned with a little emery cloth;

DSC00006-5.jpg

• 1 year later...

I still make them in two sizes, 1" and 1.25" tall. But, I don't have any available right now. I am in the long process of moving to a new house and wouldn't be able to be in the shop for a while. If you can wait, I can put you on the list of people that want them. I have to have a minimal amount to make it worth my time.

Monte

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Is that spacer upper shoulder 54mm and lower hole 40mm? I ask because i have C32 McPherson´s in my 710 and i´m looking this kind of bump streer spacer.  Now i have a small ring inside of strut and original 710 steering arm. Is it possible that those spacers fit my 710? Is that 510 bolt pattern same as my 710? If those fits to my car and you can do those, but can you send those to Finland?

Jani

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.