Ahhh, cant beat the smell of fresh tools!

my newest additions!

29de7a60.jpg

one paycheck at a time im gunna add things to my collection biggrin.gif

Im a weekend warrior so craftsman works for me, not that i wouldn't take 10 or 20k in snap on tool tongue.gif

I'm a fan of Craftsman tools, so don't get me wrong, but the craftsman torque wrenches are not a good buy IMO. They don't have a lifetime warranty, either.
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so the longer i sat here the more i was bothered by the fact that the torque wrench was only under a 90 day limited warranty dry.gif. So i returned it and pick up these tongue.gif

fdd3b2a0.jpg

Can anybody price out/source a good torque wrench for me, i do need one but i would prefer a warrantied tool. I still don't like some of Craftsmen's policy's but i will only purchase tools that they back up. I was told they do not warranty pneumatic tools/part or electric tools either angry.gif

Ok, so the longer i sat here the more i was bothered by the fact that the torque wrench was only under a 90 day limited warranty dry.gif. So i returned it and pick up these tongue.gif

fdd3b2a0.jpg

Can anybody price out/source a good torque wrench for me, i do need one but i would prefer a warrantied tool. I still don't like some of Craftsmen's policy's but i will only purchase tools that they back up. I was told they do not warranty pneumatic tools/part or electric tools either angry.gif

I'd say the Husky wrench from HD is a better buy than the Craftsman, but I bought all my torque wrenches off ebay and think that's the way to go. I have two Matco's and a Mac that I got off ebay in like-new condition, and all for not a lot more than a Craftsman. I don't know that you'll find any torque wrenches with a lifetime warranty. My point was more that the Craftsman wrench is low quality on top of not having a lifetime warranty like their other hand tools, which it sounds like you were unaware of. You can read plenty of debates about torque wrenches, and how clickers go out of calibration yadda yadda, but you can't argue with the fact that if you can't read the dial when torquing a fastener, then the torque wrench is useless. That's the biggest asset of a clicker wrench, as well as their overall ease of use. Otherwise, a split beam might be more accurate and won't go out of calibration, but you have to be able to read the dial, and you have to be able to hold it steady while reading the dial. Another option is a clicking split beam wrench, such as one made by Precision Instruments, like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Precision-Instruments-PREC3FR250F-Torque-Wrench/dp/B002XMSFIM

I've only heard good things about these, but only from online reviews from people like you or me - I haven't seen any professional reviews of them.

I'm with Kaoss.

Return the floor jack while you can.

The aluminum floor jack that they sell for $199.99 is made by the same company that makes MACs.

A little spendy, but I have had one for 4 years, and it has never let me down. Lifts to frame in 1 pump.

The torque wrench-meh. I own them. It has the exact same mechanism/internals as a Matco. Made by the same people.

Keep it clean, and un-wound-you'll never have a problem with it. If you do-it was a $60 dollar torque wrench.

If I could do it over, without spending Snap-On kind of money, I'd buy the Home Depot torque wrenches.

Made by Stanley-the same mechanism/internals as a MAC torque wrench. Once again, keep it clean and un-wound.

Good purchases though. Keep it up. You'll have a respectable tool set in no time.

One recommendation...Go buy a set of metric GearWrenches. 8mm-24mm.

Buying it through the Sears catalog will save you some coin. I love mine. I don't know a single tech that doesn't own a set. Worth their weight.

I read up on the steel jack and I'm glad im part of ratsun, seriously. The reviews were 50/50 at best. I spent the last of my tool budget on the aluminum jack.

a706be9c.jpg

I'll get the torque wrench when I get more money to spend.

I read up on the steel jack and I'm glad im part of ratsun, seriously. The reviews were 50/50 at best. I spent the last of my tool budget on the aluminum jack.

a706be9c.jpg

I'll get the torque wrench when I get more money to spend.

That jack is money.

Love it. Love it. Love it. Nohomo.

Been working great for me for a longtime.

Quick. Light. Smells like awesome.

Go check out the Home Depot torque wrenches.

They're a little more money than the Craftsman ones.

You might like that they're a little longer.

Looking nice though.

I am new to the snap-on game but! My father has many snap-on tools. Since his Snap-on dude stop arriving at his work. I found a local one and I decided to ask him if he was willing to trade his busted ass tools. SERIOUSLY Coolest dude ever!

My father has a very early snap-on impact gun that was really getting damaged from not having a protector. They stop making the protectors, so the snap-on dude told me to go meet him at this shop at 12am to go find one that fits. He found one in his garage and he cleaned it up for me and gave it to me for free. He is called the CHROME PIMP! He used to sell tools to Jesse James. Mr James gave him that nick name. If I had money I would buy more snap-on...

I don't want to jack your thread, but maybe we should do something like this in a - gasp - another sticky

http://www.toolcrib....and-the-abysmal

I really think this should happen, it would be a nice addition to the info base we have. i dont really ever hear people discuss the topic of tools.

- sticky for general tool discussion = win biggrin.gif

Quick. Light. Smells like awesome.

I went to pick up the box and i was slightly dumbfounded how light it was. That made the decision to upgrade a bit easier.

Looking nice though.

Thanx man! one thing at a time tongue.gif

Also thanx to everybody who gave advice - much appreciated thumbup1.gif

• 9 months later...

Didn't want to start a new thread so I brought this one back, sears had a sweet sale and I could not resist.

97825dcc.jpg

New upper and lower box/ 17 pc set of screw drivers/ mats for the drawers and some specialty plyers for snap rings and retaining rings. I also added a metric set of ratcheting wrenches :D and a fire extinguisher, just in case

• 5 months later...

Ya can't let all that factory smoke out of the wiring harness.

Letting too much smoke out of the wire will fry it, big time.

:rolleyes:

Picked up a coupla goodies on sale yesterday

a nice double flair tool to replace the parts store POS ive been working with

23d2f5ac.jpg

An easy out kit - cus i snapped a bleeder valve off in the master cylinder

577388b6.jpg

and i grabbed a floor creeper because im tired of laying on bolts

Its true, they told me years ago "well, they are not for everyday use"

quit buying craftsman then and there

but I'm spoiled, I dont go buy tools the tools come to me tongue.gif

ToolTruckforWeb.jpg

TruckWM21.jpg

Cornwell_Tools_truck.jpg

100_5173.jpg

Im with you bro,growing up in Hawaii school cloths and everything else my dad went to Sears.I love top quality tools for a half ass mechanic.Its a fetish.Just like when i was riding motocross,i was not the best but between my bike and my gear i looked damm good when i crashed.
  • 4 weeks later...

my old weber grill decided to finally die (after 9 years of repeated abuse and use) so i stopped by sears for a new one

19F28CDD-0C0E-4EED-A75E-F06CC0D104EA-14067-000010A74A449188.jpg

and walked out with a grill, a new addition to the tool box, and some grilling tools :)

74BAFEE1-984D-4F85-940B-ACF49F065FAA-14067-000010A72AEF550A.jpg

C19C27E7-AB3B-4C60-A9B5-27DD701043E0-14067-000010A7369B9308.jpg

5224C0B5-57DC-4692-A2E6-3B66893851C1-14067-000010A73FAD91E9.jpg

not a bad friday :D