280zxt CHUMP CAR BUILD

2eDeYe' date='26 July 2011 - 12:27 PM' timestamp='1311712057' post='519320']

How'd you do in the race?

Love the wing :rofl:

we got 32 out of 50, 149 laps. We were fighting that overheating issue and 3 of my drivers couldnt drive at night sooooo... But our untested car lasted 24 hours in the dessert in the middle of summer so thats a victory in my book! Next race we should have the cooling and charging issues fixed and really be able to see what this car can do.

%3ctable%20style=RBTC7.jpgFrom July 26, 2011">

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Didnt get a chance to stop by your pits, but it was good to see you out on the track. To my great amazement our team actually finished the race! We battled an overheating issue early in the race as well. Next event is Portland for us, hope to see you there!

we got 32 out of 50, 149 laps. We were fighting that overheating issue and 3 of my drivers couldnt drive at night sooooo... But our untested car lasted 24 hours in the dessert in the middle of summer so thats a victory in my book! Next race we should have the cooling and charging issues fixed and really be able to see what this car can do.

RBTC7.jpg

Haha, awesome. :lol:

• 1 month later...

Just got the confirmation from chumpcar, we are the last car to get in on the Portland race!! I hope to get a chance to talk to anyone from the ratsun form if they are at the race, stop by. Also Anyone have a crank pulley for a L28 that they wana sell for cheap? mine got chipped (sad face)

Those boys where fast in spokane,Proper fast. I they should tell me there secrets, imagine they had some good drivers, my team was mostly noobs including myself

there noobs to chump for the most part. there secret is it runs realy good luls and they shed alot of weight, ducted the brakes and dropped i all he way around, running stock brakes + drive train, its fuel injected and realy rusted out. its a super fun car i drive it around vancouver a couple times, fun fun fun.

Its halloween weekend , 12 hour race on sat 29th and a 6 hour on sunday. The race is sold out,75 cars its gunna be crazy! At the last race in spokane the first hour saw alot of guys over drive there cars trying to stay in the lead. There was a corolla in the pit next to us that got there engine so hot they melted off there dizzy!

• 1 month later...

Gettn ready for the portland race and trying to make a few improvments as I go. First off new tach! I had orginaly bought a nice new one but it would not work with the older style ignition and i fried trying to get cleaver right befor the last race. So as a last minute fix we scavanged an old boat tach and some how made it work.... but it was lame. So I got a old SunPro with shift light off craigslist for 40 bones. It took a little cutting to get it in but its in.

IMG_20111001_180811.jpg

So I have been killing my self on ebay and craigslist trying to find a good set of spare wheels to put the rain tires on. But every thing is front wheel drive these days so there is very little in the 4x114 15x8 negative offset department. Especialy when your putting them on a chumpcar and you only wana pay about 200 bones cause they are guna get thrashed on.

Currently we are running some very light 16x7.5 +19 watanabes (40lbs with tires).

IMG_20111009_145538.jpg

As you can see there is Aloooooooooooot of room for more wheel.

I came across theses bad boys while at summit.com 15x8 - 46 for 50$ a piece shipped! They are kind kittykat meow mix ching chon chinese wheels bet hey for the price they are cheaper than the rubber on them so I dont care if they only last 2 races. The guy who balance them said they he had to use a crazy amount of weight to get tem evened out. dry.gif

IMG_20111009_145553.jpg

Gota roll the fender just a hair and drop the ride hight a little but its a nice fit . And if I did my math right I just widened out the stance by about 6 inches which should be interesting to see how it feels on the track. I am gunna order up the fronts this friday. Think Iam guna Run 15x8 -20. I will post more pics soon.

IMG_20111009_202958.jpg

We are also doing a little R & D on a basic intercooler sprayer system. We repurposed some of the parts we tore out from the orginal build.

1. First we modified the old charcoal canistermont to hold this big mustard jug

2. mounted the winshiled wiper sprayer pump in the rear of the car , ran a line from the jug to the motor and from the moter we conected it to the old hard line used to connect to the rear hatch sprayer

IMG_20110716_160930%25255B1%25255D.jpg

3. Up front we used the sprayers off the hood and moved them to the new upper valance ( swiss cheese aluminum thing where we choped the front of the hood) that sits right in front of the intercooler.

4,. and to trigger it we used the old WOT senser for the auto trany to trigger the sprayer so that when you mash your foot to the floor it turns on the sprayer!

Check our modified bumper to allow for more air flow.;)

IMG_20110716_161049%25255B1%25255D.jpg

• Like 1

Just read this thread. Awesome that you're running a 280zx in the races. I'm curious if you hammered out your cooling issues. One cheap way to increase oil cooling is to use an RX-7 oil cooler from the late 80s to early 90s. Also, depending on your boost level, a 1st generation Mitsubishi Eclipse blow off valve might be better than the Saab unit you're running. I had boost leak issues with one whenever I went near 14 pounds.

A cheap way for more fuel are the 370cc Mustang SVO injectors (Ford brown tops) with the 280zxt afm tightened a few teeth to compensate for the additional flow. I never tried anything larger with the 300zx ecu since it couldn't correct any injector larger than about 10% to idle and run nicely (maybe the green top Ford 310cc injectors may work?). You'd have to get into Nistune which is probably cost prohibitive for your car in order run bigger injectors. Anyway, good luck at your upcoming race!

• 2 months later...

I saw you guys, was going to say hi but it seemed you were plenty busy with the endurance race and all. How'd you guys do?

We did pretty good for 11 hours and 50 minutes of the 12 hour race, then at the very end the down pipe decided to unbolt itself! but over all the car ran 1000% better than in spokane, didnt even come close to over heating.