280zxt CHUMP CAR BUILD

Skib you do understand that this car if it finishes will be virtually destroyed ,,,,,,,,right ?? wink.gif

check out 24 hours of lemons as an example .

On a side note, lemons is basicaly a 7 hour parade lap, its not racing ... unless you consider pouring honey all over a driver for some randome make belive penalty racing, I dont.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When i was younger ( and before the price of metal went sky high ) i used to race bump to pass / thunder cars, and demolition derby on a 3/8 mile short track so almost all the racing i ever did was crashing..laugh.giflaugh.gif

ALSO ........more pictures are needed on this project please.

%3ctable%20style=IMG_20110501_150828.jpgFrom Drop Box">

Got the engine in this weekend, we also swaped out the auto trany for a nissan 5 speed. Since we are using a differend dizzy now witha internal CAS we were able to ditch the external CAS. But part of the external CAS set up was a triger wheel on the crank pully, does anyone know if it will screw up the balance if I take that trigger wheel of the crank pully? or should i just use a crank pully from a different model that didnt have the trigger wheel on it? also when swaping the tranny i noticed that the transmission supports from the 81 zx were steel and the 82 was alum, nice little weight saving.

%3ctable%20style=IMG_20110430_131111.jpgFrom Drop Box">

Its been a few weeks since i pulled the 5 speed from the donar car and now that I am bolting it back on things are not quite lining up and i cant figure out why. On the transmission brakets in the picture above, obvioulsy the 2 bolt hole go to the bottom of the engine but the single bolt hole out on the end has no hole behind it when its bolted in place. am i missing something here? isnt that suppose to have a bolt through it that bolts to the tranny??

%3ctable%20style=IMG_20110430_124425.jpgFrom Drop Box">

We DE-powered our power steering, basicaly making it into a manual rack.

1. to save weight, the plumbing and pump add a fair amount of weight

2. less crap that can go wrong or fail

How you may ask? its simple( iam sure most the guys on here could do it in there sleep if they wanted to)

you can do it the hard way or the easy way, for the sake of time I did it the easy way. I removed all the lines, turned the steering wheel from lock to lock about 5 times to get all the fluid out and then plugged up all the holes.

The hard way would have been to tear the steering rack appart and take out all the unnecassary seals, regrease everthing then bolt it back together. i figured i would do it the easy way first and then if it didnt work go back in and gut it properly.

Hey did any one every notice the Z stamped into the cross member? thats just kind a cool :D

Mine is a 83 with T5 ( i think ) are you using standard 5 speed maybe thats the difference....

oics of mine, if this is even what your talking about..

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ215.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ218.jpg

WOW could somebody please get on that oil leak for cripes sake..

Mine is a 83 with T5 ( i think ) are you using standard 5 speed maybe thats the difference....

oics of mine, if this is even what your talking about..

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ215.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ218.jpg

WOW could somebody please get on that oil leak for cripes sake..

yes thanks for the pics! that exactly what iam taking about, iam not using a T5, its from a NA 5 speed 82 zx. The metal Trany mounts, the plate that goes between the trany and the engine, and the trany are all from the same car. One of the 2 bolt holes has a hole behind it in the metal plate but no hole in the trany behind it and the other bolt hole does not have a hole behind it in the metal plate. Iam very confused, maybe that plate is on backwards but iam pretty sure it only goes on one way.

I am not certain but i dont think Datsun 280zxt came with any thing but a T5 did the motor and trans come in actual car or just two separate pieces?? Also dont think you could have plate on backwards because it would cover up starter hole ..

I am not certain but i dont think Datsun 280zxt came with any thing but a T5 did the motor and trans come in actual car or just two separate pieces?? Also dont think you could have plate on backwards because it would cover up starter hole ..

all the 5 speed parts came from a 82 NA 280zx, i pulled it myself. the 81 turbo never came with a 5 speed only an auto but all the trannys all bolts to the same l28e block. so if i dont have the plate in backwards ( which after looking at the fsm seem only go on one way) and the brackets( which also can only go on one way) are bolting to the engine the same way they bolted in before , the only thing i can think of is that the nissan 5 speed did not have those bolt holes. which seems very odd to me. uhg iam probably going to have to tear it appart to get to the bottom of this mystery.

Went back and re-read first post and see that it was a auto ( apparently all domestic 1981 turbo models were )................so maybe just leave them off

but thats the thing, the metal brackets came from the same engine as the 5 speed tranny so you would think they would have bolted up.

I can give you measurements if you need them, big ratsun rising sun about 8inches tall and streach across the windshild would be very nice touch

Measurements would be good. I will see if I can get one done.

ok so i got under the car and confirmed the bolt hole situation. i took off the trany support brackets and looked at where the holes SHOULD be.

left mount postion

%3ctable%20style=IMG_20110506_125936.jpgFrom Drop Box">

here it is with the bracket in place

%3ctable%20style=IMG_20110506_130356.jpgFrom Drop Box">

same thing on the right as you can see there are holes in the sandwich plate but no coresponding hole in the trany.

%3ctable%20style=IMG_20110506_125947.jpgFrom Drop Box">

with bracket

%3ctable%20style=IMG_20110506_130346.jpgFrom Drop Box">

So is this normal to not have bolts in the bottom holes of the trany support brackets?! cause mine dont have holes to put bolts and that seems wrong. Can anyone confirm this is how there stock nissan 280zx 5 speed(not a t5 borg5 speed but a nissian 5 speed that came in the non turbo zx) looks?

So is this normal to not have bolts in the bottom holes of the trany support brackets?! cause mine dont have holes to put bolts and that seems wrong. Can anyone confirm this is how there stock nissan 280zx 5 speed(not a t5 borg5 speed but a nissian 5 speed that came in the non turbo zx) looks?

theres bolts that go there, but you dont need those supports.

theres bolts that go there, but you dont need those supports.

So no ones has these bolts in there nissan 5 speeds,? they just slapped the brackets on every engine whether they needed them or not? I was just worried Ihad some odd ball tranny that they forgot to prill joles in cause it sure seems like there are supose to be bolts there.

I wouldn't worry too much about speed, and actually, I'd stick away from the turbo due to boost issues and heat that will most definitely arise during a chump car race!

My Datsun guru won the last event at Portland (I think that's where they were) in his Datsun roadster with an SR20DE in it. No turbo.

I wouldn't worry too much about speed, and actually, I'd stick away from the turbo due to boost issues and heat that will most definitely arise during a chump car race!

My Datsun guru won the last event at Portland (I think that's where they were) in his Datsun roadster with an SR20DE in it. No turbo.

yeah i heard about that race, sounds like he did really good, but a roadster ways couple hundred pounds less probably . And since i have the turbo engine iam not guna tear it off :P , i will just let it blow up first

your good.

Iv only seen them on auto tranny cars (even on auto trans L20B's) and I just toss em

when they go into a manual trans car

:Dcool thanks for the reply, I can stop messing with the drive train and move on to exhaust!The car had a auto tranyin it before and I though I was going to have to put the drive shaft in from the manual that I got the tranny out of but when I put the 5 speed in I tried it with the auto drive shaft still in and it fit just right. That saved me alot of time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

IMG_20110506_130356.jpg

These are called "NVH brackets"... which are "Noise Vibration Harshness" reducers. Just helps in noise of an OEM vehicle.. In Racing we call it "inertial mass dampening" and rarely use it, as we solid mount our drivelines(NVH/ Inertial Mass Dampening uses softer mounting solutions). Renault used a type of driveline "Inertial Mass Dampening" in Formula 1 in 2006, and it the technology was quickly banned from F1. Back to good old solid mounts!

My Z20E had them too with a FS5W71B transmission. (standard L series 5 speed, but with Z series bellhousing)

OK, so I have been franticaly building this car and have not had time to post many updates. But now that the race is over and the car is done i can put up a few pics!

%3ctable%20style=IMG_20110713_195903.jpgFrom July 26, 2011">

this is tha car at about half done befor the "AERO package"

here she is at the race with the Ratsun.net banner kinda hard to see, BUT THANKS VERY MUCH FOR THE BANNER GUYS!!!

%3ctable%20style=RBTC%2525201.jpgFrom July 26, 2011">

%3ctable%20style=RBTC2.jpgFrom July 26, 2011">

here is the datsun tailgate " Wing" and our sweet plexi windows!!

%3ctable%20style=RBTC3.jpgFrom July 26, 2011"> her she is at night with the head light covers on, can see the bannera bit better.

Overall she did good at the race, considering that the first time the car was EVER driven was from the garage to the trailer to take it to the race, I had no idea if the 300zx suspension was gunna work or the J30 front brakes or a million other mods that we did where guna work. The main problem was cooling and charging. I think the culprit was the smaller crank pully i got from the Zstore.com, i think the smaller diameter pully was under driving the water pump and alternator to much. just a guess though. but when she was running she was very fast! we ended up using a F54 turbo bottom end, a P72 head, Z31 ecu and Maf, volvo turbo,saab BOV reserced, and a Saab intercooler. For the suspension we used stock rear, and up front we did 4 bolt Z31 struts /lower ball joint and tie rods, with j30 2 piston brakes. THis put our front suspension at about 15 degrees positive camber but after much grinding and hacking we got it down to -2!!! more pics and info to come as i get mor uploaded