Need Head

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

How do you remove the exhaust inserts? I thought you couldn't? I have a w53 and a w58, the w53 I believe has the exhaust sleeves, but a fresh valve job so I wanted to use that on my build, but I hate those damn inserts! the W58 I was going to clean up and port to run on this engine later and compare flow.

I have another one at my buddies shop Im not using, its been there almost a year, if I had a quick way to get it to ya, itd be yours

There was a guy here locally that did a flow test before and after removing them. I don't know what the numbers came out at, but, he did say it wasn't worth the time it took him even though it was a closed chamber.

He has a closed chamber head with the liners in the exhaust ports. Decided to flow test it with the liners and after he removed them. He said with the amount of work it took to remove them he should have just got a different head to start with. Just saying, don't bother with screwing with the liners, just go for the W58.

The W58 head is more than likely the head with the inserts, and round exhaust ports. The W53 head is the more desirable head(JDM) with square exhaust ports and more than likely is a closed chamber(peanut) head. I have been told by a more than likely knowlegable source that it is basicly a waste of time to remove the inserts. The W53 is my favorite head if unable to aquire a 219(V912) at a reasonable price, as I am able to buy a W53 head, have large valves installed, and have the intake ported to match the intake manifold for the same price as the more desirable heads(219-V912) are sold in used condition.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.