Sourcing engine parts

d510addict

I got a l20b block that I was going to put together only to find out the bearings, pistons and piston rings were bad. So now I need to find a set of pistons rings and bearings so that I can put this thing together once I get it from the machine shop. Where is a good place to start looking for either the 280z 38.1 mm height by 86 mm width pistons, or the stock L20b pistons? I was thinking P n P but I'm not sure weather those would be any good.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Portland area??

Give a call to R.J. Templeton, they had everything in stock for my L20 a few years ago. They even goofed and gave me oversize pistons the first time, had to go back and get standard bore pistons.

Most of there product line for the Datto was made by ROCK.

http://www.rockprod.com/pistons/pistonsrings.html

My motor now has about 50-60k on it.

I got a l20b block that I was going to put together only to find out the bearings, pistons and piston rings were bad. So now I need to find a set of pistons rings and bearings so that I can put this thing together once I get it from the machine shop. Where is a good place to start looking for either the 280z 38.1 mm height by 86 mm width pistons, or the stock L20b pistons? I was thinking P n P but I'm not sure weather those would be any good.

Your the one selling that Z20E block, correct. Is there anything wrong with that block, is it good? You know you can put all your L block stuff on that block, if you put the oilpan and oil pickup tube, the L head, with the L front cover, dist. intake and exhaust manifolds, and the L block motor mounts from the block down to the frame, redrill the oil dipstick hole and you will have a LZ20b block that will tilt like the L block and need a L block transmission. The only thing I don't know is if the pistons are differant and will cause a big jump in compression ratio. I could be wrong though. wayno

How/why are you having a block bored w/o having the pistons at the machine shop at the same time?

I agree. Most mass produced pistons are +-. The bore operator should measure the piston and bore the block to match it. (plus a little less so you can finish hone it just right) . I think the L20B only has 1.2 to 1.8 thou clearance all the way round between it and the walls.

Your the one selling that Z20E block, correct. Is there anything wrong with that block, is it good? You know you can put all your L block stuff on that block, if you put the oilpan and oil pickup tube, the L head, with the L front cover, dist. intake and exhaust manifolds, and the L block motor mounts from the block down to the frame, redrill the oil dipstick hole and you will have a LZ20b block that will tilt like the L block and need a L block transmission. The only thing I don't know is if the pistons are differant and will cause a big jump in compression ratio. I could be wrong though. wayno

The Z20E has flattops and a large combustion chamber Z head for an 8.4 (ish) compression. If you substitute an open chamber L head (that is about 10cc smaller) the compression will jump to 8.9 . The biggest change isn't seen and that's the 6" long rods which will allow smooth high revving. win win win

The Z20E has flattops and a large combustion chamber Z head for an 8.4 (ish) compression. If you substitute an open chamber L head (that is about 10cc smaller) the compression will jump to 8.9 . The biggest change isn't seen and that's the 6" long rods which will allow smooth high revving. win win win

Ditch the L20b...do this /\ /\ /\

Power wise are they close though? I guess it wouldn't hurt to pop the head off and check things. Also I haven't taken it to the shop yet as I don't know of one that works on blocks, but I'm trying to get a realistic price on everything beforehand so I don't run out of money half way through. As of now I have about 35 bucks invested in the l20b (front cover).

Power wise are they close though? I guess it wouldn't hurt to pop the head off and check things. Also I haven't taken it to the shop yet as I don't know of one that works on blocks, but I'm trying to get a realistic price on everything beforehand so I don't run out of money half way through. As of now I have about 35 bucks invested in the l20b (front cover).

If you use the Z20E block, to set it up correctly you will have to use that front L block front cover you have $35. invested in.