Running a Weber 32/36DGV

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stock fuel pump has the right pressure, so will work better than many electic pumps. If you get an electric pump be sure to get a low-pressure pump (3-5 lbs).

1970 510 does not have a fuel return line like the newer Datsun does it? The B310 (Datsun 210/140Y) has a return line, but it is not necessary and you can simply plug it.

If it has a true return line, use it. I don't think the 510s had them. Maybe you have a fuel tank vent to the PCV system? L20B motors do. There are advantages. Gas is always circulating so it is constantly being filtered over and over. This keeps the tank clean. Also cool gas is circulated past the carb which reduces or eliminates hot weather 'heat soak' of stagnant fuel in the lines under the hood causing vapor lock. Not much of a problem on a stock L16 but it is on the L20Bs.

Yes, this is the same problem B210s had. So they added the fuel return line. With the emission controls they want to keep the fuel cool so it doesn't evaporate so much, and with increased underhood temperatures (larger engines) they started getting more vapor lock. The fuel return line solves both problems.

Earlier Datsuns may have a fuel tank vent line, looks like the same thing, but is just a vent coming from the tank to the engine compartment to the "Flow Guide Valve" or a charcoal cannister.

• 2 weeks later...

No that is not normal, and a tune-up normally won't fix it.

What is usually required is to change the jetting of the Weber. But you might just only need to adjust the accelerator pump setting. Go to the library and check out the Weber book, it will have some information on how to fix it.

Hainz, nice way to put it man.... I just think it needs some fine tuning because my car has a bit of a shake when idling.

I adjusted it to idle at around 900rpm and it improved, but it is not gone.

Oh and it is sucking gas like a pig... I only got 40 miles to a quarter tank.

Guest kamakazi620

Pardon my ignorance, but exactly what does jetting it mean?

Do I have to change the jets?

What are the correct jets sizes?

Thank you

put in smaller jets,i;d go 1-2 sizes down from what its jetted

Pardon my ignorance, but exactly what does jetting it mean?

Do I have to change the jets?

What are the correct jets sizes?

Thank you

jets are basically fuel injectors of the carb world (yes, mechanical wizards, i know it isnt anywhere near the same, but the concept is there)

on the 32/36, they are located on the left and right sides of the carb, under brass flathead screws. the correct jet size depends on the mods, engine size, etc. a lot of time you just got to play with different sizes to dial it in. browsing around the engine section there are a few sizing threads.