Might trade the 240

Some of you may have seen that im looking to trade my 1970 240z for a 4x4 truck. This is an offer I am curious about. I am still waiting on the pictures, but this is the info about the truck. Here is the link to my car to compare: http://community.ratsun.net/topic/26485-450-1970-240z/page__hl__%2B%26%23036%3B450+%2B1970+%2B240z__st__20

Info on the truck from the owner:

The Truck is a 73 620 on an 85 720 4x4 Chassis,

The engine is an LZ24 on 240 Z SU's, long 5 speed with the wide ratio for the lower 1st

gear. 720 T-Case R180 front diff, and a C-200 rear.

I really want to keep my Z, but I dont see myself having the money to get it driveable any time real soon. I need something to DD because it is hard with only having one car between my wife and I. I would rather keep my car and suffer a while longer until I find somethign worth it or get the money, so I do not want to get a bad end of a deal. I dont know much about Datsun trucks, so please be 100% honest with anything and everything

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One problem you will find is getting 4x4 parts for 720s. '85 is good though, halfshafts for those you should still be able to find. If it's on an '80-'82 frame, forget it. You'll need some custom work unless everything is perfect, and then you'll need custom work when parts break. Or you'll have to go to pull n save and try and find one less screwed up. '83 on is the newer of the non-D21 style 4wd. D21 4x4 is much more preferable due to having equal length shafts in the front, but other than that, a nice thing is the 720 is still a divorced transfer case. More u-joints to worry about, but also easier tranny/t-case removal instead of the gigantic heavy mess of the D21.

Life throws curves ,,, I hear ya ,,, but I guarantee you this ,,, if that Z is in good shape ( rust , good running drivetrain ) ,,, you will be kicking your-self in the ass in the future

Not like the trucks won't have their problems either ,,, may still need a few things to make it DD as well.

Good luck on your decision man :)

Ya that's my one hitch dtp. The z is awesome. The only thing it needs to be a clean car is some frame work, paint, a grill, and an air dam. I can drive it after the frame work. I really want to keep my z because I already have a full size 4x4, but that needs work also so its kind of a catch 22.

What are everyone's thoughts about the lz24 and everything else listed?

Still waiting on pictures...

That's what I was thinking bonvo. But a 70 240 in that shape for what I paid doesnt happen often either. I'm hoping he sends me pictures soon

Dude you got a smoking deal on that Z. They don't come like that very often. I think you'll be kicking yourself in the ass down the road. But it's your car. Do what ya want.

But what you said about the truck sounds like you might be workin on that thing for the rest of your life.

Once you get the Z running it's a no brainer. The thing will run forever with little or no repairs. Just my .02

You're right datrod. the more I think it over the more I just want to suck it up and keep the z. Do the 720s need constant maintenance? I have a full-size Chevy 1 ton that I have never had to replace anything on except for swapping all of the 3/4 ton parts for 1 ton parts.

As I see it, its going to cost me around $1500 to get the z in like new condition. It's not a lot, just not feasible right now. I got fucked on my Chevy when emissions laws changed. It has a performance exhaust set up with 2 separate pipes running from each bank to their own cats. They are connected by an h pipe before the cats and mufflers. It won't smog because it is not the stock exhaust set up, even though it has the right cats and everything. It runs clean as new, so I think its bullshit. If anyone knows of a smog shop in ca that can help me out and smog it, or if you have or know of a 75 or earlier Chevy title and vin plate, pm me :D

I know I got a killer deal on the car, its just what I need right now outweighs what I want right now. But if the pics come through and the truck isn't in awesome shape, I'm going to keep it.

720s need maintenance like anything else. The original head gasket pops around 100k. My 720 has 225k on the clock, and it has a new starter. I just replaced the head gasket (i replaced the timing gear while it was apart just so i wouldn't have to later). Starts up and runs great. Everything else is original on it. Seems like most get neglected or beat to piss, so they need a bunch of repairs when you get them. Check that truck over real good and get some maintenance history on it.

Got the pictures last night. Im not going to trade for this truck, but if anyone is interested he said he wants to sell it.

This is what he told me about it:

The things it needs are a Choke Cable for the SU's the old one came apart and I lost it. so it's hard to start cold unless you hold the choke levers up under the hood.windshield seal needs to be replaced, the headlight fuse was getting hot, maybe a relay, I never really looked into it, I haven't driven the truck at night for at least 5 years.Dash pad is cracked badly, it had a vinyl cover over it when I got the truck, it pealed up so I removed it. it needs a shifter for the T-case, I didn't want to chop a hole in the floorand use bucket seats, so I just pulled it into 4WD under the truck. small rust spot in the lower rear corner if the doors, about the size of a quarter. and it has some surface rust on the floor, but the floor is a solid as you can find. no rust through at all. Interior is very nice, it had a new rubber floor mat from the dealer, and the seat is recovered in blue cloth, inst. cluster is nice with a factory Tach. paint is dull but will shine up with a nice detail, the paint on the roof is worn through. drive train is strong Z24 bottom end with an L20 head for an LZ 24, 31" 5 speed trans was new from nissan comp when I built the truck it's running 15" toyota 4x4 wheels, I have 6 total, and 2 extra BFG tire to match the ones on the truck, the fronts are worn. the rear tires are 95%. If I sell it outrite, I'd ask $3,000 for it it's taged and insured as a 73 , I have a clear title for it. and it's smog exempt

620.jpg

6201.jpg

6202.jpg

6203.jpg