AJ's 72 4 dr 510 - brought to you by me :)

Ok so here it goes, i picked up this 72 4dr for by brother with the intention of building it for him while hes deployed to Iraq. My thoughts are that if i do this it will keep my mind and hands busy while he is trapped in that god damn sandbox from hell on the other side of the world. He deployed yesterday and he is on a 366 day tour, so that means i have 366 days to build a 510!!!!

th_ajs510.jpg

click the above pic to see the first vid of when i brought it home.

Day 1

Today was used to do the basics,

* oil change

* belt change

* interior cleaning and inspection of what all needs to be done

* Removing the wiring mess from the PO's attempt at a sound system and alarm sick.png

* Removed the hon-duh trunk and gas door release mess.

There are a few pics from today;

This is the wiring from the alarm and sound system and the trunk release attempt mess

21413960.jpg

And here are a few more pics of the car

SAM_0289.jpg

SAM_0275.jpg

SAM_0267.jpg

SAM_0276.jpg

SAM_0277.jpg

IMG00049-20110113-1735.jpg

SAM_0246.jpg

Here is the worst of the cancerous rust/body damage;

SAM_0288.jpg

SAM_0287.jpg

SAM_0286.jpg

SAM_0285.jpg

SAM_0284.jpg

A few interior shots;

SAM_0283.jpg

SAM_0282.jpg

SAM_0281.jpg

SAM_0279.jpg

I removed the back seat for now but i do have it. Its torn up but a good base to work wi

32467b6a.jpg

0ae905a0.jpg

I will be updating this as i make progress. I need to tune the motor up and do a valve adjustment along with a look at the SU's to tune those too.

Here is me, my bro, and my dad and our rides

SAM_0247.jpg

SAM_0248.jpg

SAM_0250.jpg

SAM_0255.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are the photos to represent what im looks to have the paint job look like:

this vvvv on represents the blue color we are aiming for - i wont know the perfect color untill i can see it in person

MyPIC023.jpg

this vvvv on shows how i want to see the paint end up, the top of the car will be black and the bottom will be blue like the above pic

images.jpg

This vvvv pic shows the stripe i am aiming for, i want the stripe and the 510 logo in it to be black and come down from the top half of the car.

IMG_5380.jpg

UPDATE:

I met up with skib today and brewed a plan for a bad ass L frantics.gifDetails will follow on exactly whats being done when the final plan is in place. For now im going to put the dash back together and do a valve adjustment then drive it!!!

Lets paint it! How fast can you guys gut it. Gut everything and label everything. even gut the doors of windows, hardware and all the parts that do not need paint. This is the scary part.

The dash comes out in one piece and don't forget to number your headliner bows.

Ok, guys questions and advice time :D This is going to be the first time ive worked on a 510 inside or out.

WHAT DO I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT TAKING IT APART???? any and all advise is welcome and necessary i want your 2 cents and any other small unmarked bills your willing to give me ;)

Keeper, im going to drive the car for a week cus i cant start the tear down until next Monday at the earliest.

Skib, let me know when you want to sit down and go over the engine build

Invest in some ziplock bags. Mark and label the nuts/bolts/screws etc accordingly. Helps out, Also helps to GOOD detailed photos, and a lot of them before/during the tear down. This way if you do forget what went where its easy to spot and put back. (that and were picture whores so we wanna see em)

yes izzo i did and that is why im going thru the motor with skib :D

I've never dealt with Jock or any of those guys, and never will just from word of mouth. But dont be surprised when you find dildos in the oil pan :rofl:

Im kind of glad we get to tear apart his work, that way if he Is truly the jack ass he seems to be i can post pics to prove it! If I find something not as described to me I'm going to ask for money back which I'm sure I will not get if he is a shyster. Which will make my complaint to the AG'a office that much easier to prove in writing :)

Hey man....thats a very cool thing you're doing for your brother...

I'm thankful that he is bustin his az for our country...I wish I was there to bust a couple knuckles with you. :cool:

Keep up the hard work. Keep the parts organized. Sweep the floor often and keep counters organized.

Have fun :D

• 2 weeks later...

Slow start but i got a few things in today,

new turn signal assembly

f39e18eb.jpg

and flat top LZ pistons

Ive got a matchbox dizzy coming too and some new side mirrors, i will post pics when i get them. Once the tare down begins things will start moving faster.